PS4 Exclusive The Order: 1886 Would Be Impossible on Any Other Console

Ready at Dawn fans the historical flames

Every now and then, developers creating exclusive adventures like to talk up the hardware that they’ve opted to work on. In this instance, it’s the folks at Ready at Dawn, who don’t believe that historical excursion The Order: 1886 would be possible on any platform other than the PlayStation 4. Prepare to pull out your pitchforks like you’ve just identified Jack the Ripper.

“We couldn’t have achieved this graphical fidelity with any other console," community manager J Goldberg told GameSpot as part of an interview in New York City last week. The studio spokesperson continued that the title’s concept was conceived while the firm was working on the PlayStation Portable, which certainly wouldn’t have been capable of coping with its filmic interpretation of London.

The game employs motion capture across the board, and the same character models for both cinematics and gameplay, meaning that there are no jarring transitions between cut-scenes and action – everything is seamlessly threaded together. "We're moving the camera in space; we're not loading in a video,” Goldberg explained.

Of course, outside of the stunning visuals, the release’s real appeal is its Victorian setting, which is one that doesn’t have a whole lot of competition. “There hasn't really been a game set in this period,” he beamed. “There were a lot of incredibly cool things that happened, with the government, with inventions, and so on – folks love that stuff. We knew that we could have a lot of fun with it if we took that rich history and put our own spin on it.”

Are you still looking forward to the murky exclusive, or has your hype dwindled since the release’s delay? Take us back in time courtesy of the comments section below.

[via gamespot.com]

PoNY_LTD

PoNY_LTD said:

Didn't Santa Monica work on God of war 3? They made that game flawless and I'm sure they'll leave me wanting more after this one.

Dohv

Dohv said:

This game is gonna be so amazing ! Can't wait. One of my most anticipated for 2015. Next year gonna start off with a bang with The Order, Witcher 3, and Bloodborne.

Bad-MuthaAdebis

Bad-MuthaAdebis said:

It would look like a cross between smashed Pringles and an Edvard Munch landscape on the xb1. Probably.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Who cares about visual bragging when PC is a factor. All this silly bragging about visuals visuals visuals but they still haven't proved that the gameplay is up to snuff yet, show me some gameplay that isn't mostly QTE's and then we can talk about (I mean brag) about the visuals.

Storytime7

Storytime7 said:

It doesn't matter how good it looks. They still haven't shown off anything that makes the game look the slightest bit interesting.

WickedKnightAl

WickedKnightAl said:

I don't disagree that the PS4 is probably the strongest console out there right now.

But bragging at this point, when Sony is so far ahead comes off as just mean. Besides, the PS4's specs are basically maxed out. Some PCs were stronger than the PS4 out of the gate, let alone half a year after release.

N711

N711 said:

Well it console war so at least they don't lie. Its not like MS saying .everyone says they got the best exclusive etc.

adf86

adf86 said:

The Order is a linear 3rd person shooter, some people have a problem with that but the game's selling point is it's visuals and settings, and I'm fine with that. Just because it's a AAA exclusive doesn't mean that it's gameplay was meant to be innovative.

I'm really excited for this personally, but I do understand the concerns. I don't think Sony's done a particularly good job of demoing it so far.

Munkyknuts

Munkyknuts said:

I'm happy with this being a 3rd person shooter. It doesn't need to be bleeding edge innovation...it just needs to tell its story very well and suck my into it's world. Narrative is the most important aspect to me. Being able to immerse myself in a period as deep and varied as the Victorian era is enough to ensure I want it at release...barring the game crashing and burning at the 11th hour and turning out to be a broken thing shuffling along under the weight of expectation.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Yeah, I'm with a lot of other members here on this one. Visual bragging is grasping for the wind. It's vanity. I like pretty visuals but this is getting ridicuous. All they keep talking about is "how good it looks" but won't show any gameplay. How can you get excited for a game that, up to this point, has been pretty much sold on the premise of "hey, it looks superb, and oh ya the setting is somewhere new too!". Gimme a break, this stuff gets so old after a while.

Like they say, put up or shut up. SHOW ME THE GAMEPLAY! (In Tom Cruise voice)

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

Victorian times, besides the long gone ancient eras of this planet my favourite time really. So many great writers and inventions and I love the double-morality of the typical victorian society. Filthy bunch them were. :D

hydeks

hydeks said:

"this game is only possible on the PS4".........points to the PC and Xbox One umm, no actually it isn't :-P

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

@hydeks PC is not a console, and we don't know if the power difference between the PS4 and the XBO makes a difference.