Could PS3's Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Come to PS4? Yes, It Could

Fly me to the moon

Gearbox Software’s gaffer Randy Pitchford must have got a whiff of current PlayStation 3 sales, because all of a sudden the company doesn’t seem to be quite so committed to last-gen consoles. When spin-off Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel was announced earlier in the year, the outspoken executive insinuated that the moon-based spin-off would be skipping the PlayStation 4 because the install base isn’t big enough. However, with software sales on the PS3 and Xbox 360 plummeting over the past few months, the firm appears to have changed its stance.

Speaking with Game Reactor, the studio head at 2K Australia – who’s collaborating with the aforementioned organisation on the title – declared that it will be down to fans where the intergalactic excursion deploys. Or, in other words, it will depend on how hard the release flops. “If fans say, 'Hey, we'd really like this on a next-gen console,' well, we'll think about that,” said a bubbly Tony Lawrence. However, franchise director Matt Armstrong added that the idea of requiring “people to buy new hardware to play the middle [game in] a trilogy feels a little disingenuous”.

That’s fair enough, but there are plenty of cross-gen games making their way onto the market these days. We reckon that overlooking the content starved audience on next-gen consoles is a big oversight by 2K Games, and unless it can prepare a PS4 port ahead of the title’s October launch, it may just find that its game gets overlooked in the process. After all, you only need to ask Codemasters how GRID Autosport has performed on last-gen platforms to understand why this is the wrong strategy.

[via youtube.com, polygon.com]

Punished_Boss_84

Punished_Boss_84 said:

@get2sammyb It looks like DLC for Borderlands 2, because nothing about it is that different from Borderlands 2.

I want to say yes, but i don't know of any hype, well besides that dance trailer.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

@get2sammyb I'm excited for anything Borderlands-related. But then again, I'm a huge fanboy and I'd probably even fork 50€ over for Borderlands toilet paper ;)

Great news for me as soon-to-be PS4 owner :D

WARDIE

WARDIE said:

@get2sammyb Well since what Gearbox did to Alien Colonial Marines & Duke Nukem I don't feel like giving them anymore of my hard earned money. I did enjoy the other two Borderlands though. I totally agree that it will get lost amongst all the other games due out. Maybe if it had of been released a few months ago when the PS4 had little to play.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

I can't help but feel that this statement will kill PS3/360 sales even more. Of course it's coming to next-gen consoles - why wouldn't it?

Demi_God

Demi_God said:

@get2sammyb I'm really not excited out pre-quels at all. I'm just not interested in playing a game based on a game I played before where I know the outcome of it. It's just not interesting.

It's like the starwars movies, I hated all three be it episode 1, 2, and 3. I'm more interested in playing a game with a sequel on what is happening after the fact rather then before.

darkswabber

darkswabber said:

@get2sammyb I really want the game especially when it comes to the ps4. But the last time a developer made a prequel but didn't make the sequels cough batman arkham origin cough it really dissapointed me, and it's, just like the other game I mentoined, probably more like a deja vu towards the other 2 borderlands then a Original prequel. but besides my complaining, I'm still going to buy it day 1 when it comes to ps4.

McSterls

McSterls said:

Rather see a Borderlands & Borderlands 2 Collectors edition come to PS4 than this. But who knows, maybe this will be really fun, although it looks like a budget shooter with a weak plot.

hydeks

hydeks said:

@get2sammyb Yes and no, I want to play this game but since I bought a new next gen system (Xbox One, please don't hate me lol) I would rather play it on a next gen system. I hope they do decide to release this on X1 and PS4, it would be the smart thing to do to make everyone happy.

Demi_God

Demi_God said:

@NorrinRadd Even more so when figuring out it was a game rather than reality. For a video game, there really isn't a place for it, why pay another $60 when I already know the outcome. This is a bit different compared to reality when learning about different cultures and how their brains evolved throughout the years. We still have a long way to go.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

A little disingenuous? CERTAINLY they're not going to release the final game of the trilogy on PS3 years from now, so either way the trilogy is going to be split between PS3 and PS4. It's just a question of which console gets 2 entries and which console gets 1 entry. What a nonsensical remark...

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@get2sammyb

Yes. Very. I was even considering buying another PS3 JUST to play Borderlands Pre Sequel (and Destiny since I refuse to subscribe to PS+, although I have since learned Desiny will have "some features" which don't require online sub, so I have gone ahead and pre ordered for PS4).

So yeah, I may be in the minority, but I REALLY want to play this game.

IronManDS

IronManDS said:

@get2sammyb I sure am! Loved the last 2 games and will get this on Day 1. Would, however, certainly rather have it on my PS4. Unlike "The Last of Us", this will not be a game I'm willing to buy twice.

So, Gearbox, pick your poison for a Day 1 purchase: PS3 or PS4. You're no Naughty Dog and you won't get 2 bites at this apple outta me :)

Godsire-

Godsire- said:

I'd be happy to have this on my PS3. I could care less if this came to PS4, as it will be just some marginal upgrade (since it was clearly made with the PS3/Xbox 360 in mind) & I don't plan on owning a PS4 for awhile.

People who want this badly on PS4 are either huge Borderlands fans or people who forked out $400 for a new system before it actually had games that justified people spending $400 on said system, so they are starving for anyhing new to play. Either way, I'll take all the good PS3 releases I can get.