PS2 Classic Amplitude Could Be Making a Comeback on PS4

You need to fund it first, though

While the likes of Rock Band Blitz and Rock Band Unplugged have offered permutations on the Amplitude formula, the original Harmonix developed PlayStation 2 exclusive remains the very best version of the controller-based rhythm format. Fortunately, the franchise could be making a comeback on the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 – assuming that you’re willing to back a brand new Kickstarter campaign.

Already off to a flying start, the sequel will follow in the footsteps of the 2003 release and its predecessor FreQuency, putting you in control of a space ship known as the Beat Blaster, which you must use to destroy music notes in an all-digital world. You’ll need to shift between lanes in order to change instruments and maximise your score, earning multipliers and collecting power-ups as you progress. It’s like WipEout on rails, then – with even bigger riffs.

While this reboot will offer more of the same, though, the developer promises that the technical advancements enabled by Sony’s latest hardware will push the experience forward. There’ll be four-player local multiplayer, online leaderboards, and, of course, some jaw dropping visuals to boot. Moreover, the company’s focusing on creating its own electronic soundtrack, which will be composed with compelling gameplay in mind.

Contributing just $20 will grab you a copy of the game for both the PS3 and PS4, while bigger pledges will reward you with goodies such as a PS2-inspired box, a t-shirt, and even dinner with the developers. The only downside is that the studio needs $750,000 to make the project a reality, which is a huge amount of money. However, it’s already accrued an impressive $25,000 within minutes of starting, so it’s certainly achievable. Are you on board?

[via kickstarter.com, blog.us.playstation.com]

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

I loved Amplitude on Ps2 so much I even played it online. Been such a long time since we've had anything of that high quality that's similar. Who's working on this reboot? Harmonix? I'm not really one for Kickstarter tho :|

adf86

adf86 said:

I never pledge anything on kickstarter but I'll buy it if it gets funded, hopefully it will be another Playstation exclusive to add to the list.

@MadchesterManc Yeah, Harmonix is making it. They even mention that it's most of the original team.

Already up to $40k. I thought it would struggle at first, but...

ztpayne7

ztpayne7 said:

While I absolutely loved rock band and would support that again, I don't think I'd like this game.

FiDRoC

FiDRoC said:

It's a pretty ambitious total to aim for in fairness but I figured I'd do my bit and pledged $15.00 as I was quick enough to get the early backers rate. If they don't meet the target then no money leaves my account and at best if it IS successful I've got a game I would have likely bought anyway a little bit cheaper

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Might fund this, seeing as my two newest Kickstarter picks, Source and Salvaged, are on course for failure.

BlueProxy

BlueProxy said:

Nice. I spend some serious time playing this on PS2. Wouldn't mind picking it up again for PS4.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Man I really hope this doesn't get funded. This is literally two big studios using kickstarter to make a game. Sony owns the Amplitude IP which opens up a can of worms on to kickstarter.

If its backed I made it but I worry about the trend it sets,

FiDRoC

FiDRoC said:

@shingi_70 I think they're possibly using it as a gauge to see whether there's actually any demand for a new version of the game. It sounds very much like a passion project for them rather than full on planned release so if it doesn't make the target then they at least know to divert their resources elsewhere