PS4 Firmware Update 1.70 Will Be Going Live on 30th April

Posted by Kell Andersen

This is not a drill

There's been murmurings about it for weeks now, but PlayStation 4 firmware update v1.70 has finally been given a firm launch date. That's right, Sony has announced that the patch will be going live on 30th April. Obviously, this is a pretty big boon for console owners themselves, but it also means that we don't have to write anymore articles speculating about the long awaited update's release. Huzzah!

The patch contains a plethora of new features, including an HDCP toggle and digital preloading for pre-ordered games. Most notably, though, it includes the recently revealed SHAREfactory software, which will allow you to edit together clips that you've recorded, and then upload them to the social media stream of your choice. You can find out exactly what sort of videos that you'll be able to make with the application through here.

Are you chuffed that we finally have a release schedule for this megaton update? Will you be making use of the system's new social capabilities? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via twitter.com]

soracloud28

soracloud28 said:

Hey!! Its been awhile since i actually left a comment. Im really excited for this update, hopefully there are capabilities added that sony ha yet to announce, for example adding themes and being able to put your own music onto the hard drive, even just being able to change the coloring a bit on the main menu display would be fantastic.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

I'm hoping they fix the blu-ray compatibility issue with this update, I still can't watch any of the alien films on my ps4 for example

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

@AhabSpampurse zero playback, as soon as it tries to load up the menu it crashes the system and you have to hard reset it

they do play on the ps3 though so if you have one you can still get them on blu-ray if not you might just have to get them on dvd the ps4 has no problem with dvd's

AhabSpampurse

AhabSpampurse said:

@FullbringIchigo I still have my ps3 launch model, the problem is it's so full of dust, 10 pences and cheese that it sounds like a screaming yeti when it's being used. Unless you're using headphones it kind of detracts from the movie experience.

Carl-G

Carl-G said:

Prepare for mass disappointment next week then... well i hope not tho :D

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

@AhabSpampurse then I recomend getting the dvd box set, the ps4 upscales really well so it will still look and sound great either that or buy a cheap blu-ray player

ps: I also still have my launch ps3 and it sounds like a plane taking off that why I brought a slim when they first came out, it's so much better

FATHASUN

FATHASUN said:

Looking forward to 1.70 but can't wait for 2.0 and beyond. I want my 4 to do everything that my 3 can do and more. When that happens I'll I'll download that song and play it proudly.. "Anything you can do I can do better!" So my PlayStations a can argue back and forth.. "No you can't...! Yes I can! "