Weirdness: Sucker Punch Hid a Sneaky Zelda Reference in inFAMOUS: Second Son

Posted by Kell Andersen

A link between worlds

While the blindness of fandom can sometimes foolishly take hold, most of us here at Push Square love a good Nintendo game. And it seems that first-party Sony developer Sucker Punch is much the same, as the Washington-based studio has hidden an Easter egg in the recently released inFAMOUS: Second Son that gives a shout out to one of the other Japanese giant's most iconic franchises.

That's right, sitting unassumingly on Eugene's bedside table is none other than the Master Sword from the long running Legend of Zelda series. While it isn't an exact replica, it's pretty obvious that the developer was paying homage to the Hero of Time. In truth, we think that this is a pretty neat little reference, and look forward to seeing one of Delsin's signature graffiti tags adorning the hallowed walls of Hyrule Castle in the next Zelda game.

You can spot the replica for yourself in the non-playable character's house, but if you can't be bothered to find it, we've kindly included a close-up picture of the legendary blade below. Is this sneaky shout-out sending a hookshot straight to your heart? Do you think that it Hyrules? Octo-rock out in the comments section below.

[via craveonline.com]

This is so awesome. The whole game is actually brimming with Easter eggs. If you look on the front of one of the buildings, there's a news ticker that says something like, "Sly Cooper arrested for burglary." There's also a business called 'Cooper and MacGrath' or something like that.

awaitingreatnes

awaitingreatnes said:

-Minor Spoilers for Second Son-

The Video power's melee attack with the sword seems to also be reminiscent of the master sword. Awesome game, awesome Easter egg. I'll start my evil play through eventually.

Cyrso

Cyrso said:

@Big-Boss Yes, you're right, but I wouldn't go as far as saying there would be lawsuits.

It's just Sucker Punch being cautious and avoiding copyright infringement and thus make the sword a bit more distinctive. :)

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

Saw a Sly logo (same as on the collector's edition badges) graffiti on a wall near the homeless camp. Found Cole McGrath's too.

Liking it more and more as I play.

3Above

3Above said:

There is a childrens playground with sly bently and murray on the wall too.

irken004

irken004 said:

There's an insane number of sly references in the game. Someone also saw a small Knack replica in one of the early areas I believe.

Paranoimia

Paranoimia said:

If you hadn't mentioned what it was from, I'd never have known.

At the train station(s) there's a poster which says "in case of emergency, jump off train or platform. You'll live, it's a video game." Saw a screenshot on Twitter yesterday. I don't own this myself yet. Trying to reduce my pile of shame before buying anything new.

Bad-MuthaAdebisi

Bad-MuthaAdebisi said:

This may be a spoiler but the sword is in lots of places. Its the same glowing green sword that downs the gunships...

kensredemption

kensredemption said:

This makes me wonder if there's a possibility of an inFamous/Zelda cross-over. It'd probably go along the likes of Project X Zone, ha ha ha.

SteveoKenobi

SteveoKenobi said:

If you go to the Childrens playground, there is a nice mural where you can find Sly Cooper, Bentley and Murray.

Krinkle_Kaptain

Krinkle_Kaptain said:

I can't remember where.. Somewhere early in the game there's a children's drawing on a wall (maybe in a bedroom) of Cole, shooting fireballs and stuff. I took a screenshot of it but can't remember where I was @ 2 save the life of me.