How Much Do Gran Turismo 6's Microtransactions Cost?

More than a clapped out Mondeo

With dodgy digital-rights management policies having walked the path of the Dodo, the latest controversial business practice to catch the ire of hardcore gamers are microtransactions. These small in-game payments have been at the heart of the free-to-play model since its inception, but are gradually beginning to creep their way into full retail releases such as Mass Effect 3 and FIFA 14 – and unsurprisingly, they’re parking up in Gran Turismo 6, too.

This is particularly pertinent because fellow simulation racer Forza 5 was recently lambasted for being riddled with the controversial fees. In that game, players estimated that you’d need to spend upwards of $2,000 (£1,200) in order to unlock all of its content – but is the system in Polyphony Digital’s soon-to-be-released PlayStation 3 exclusive as bad? It’s a little too early to say at this stage, but you may want to keep your debit card locked away just in case.

As previously reported, optional credits packs will be available in four denominations: 500,000 (£3.99/€4.99), 1 million (£7.99/€9.99), 2.5 million (£15.99/€19.99), and 7 million (£39.99/€49.99). At the time of writing, North American prices have yet to be confirmed, but expect them to be in the same region as the Euro figures. Of course, where it gets really interesting is what these packs will actually buy you in the game.

The most expensive vehicle is the Jaguar XJ13, which costs a whopping 20 million credits. To snatch that immediately, you’ll need to buy two 7 million packs, two 2.5 million packs, and a one million pack – which would cost you an eye-watering £119.95 ($196.43). It sounds outrageous, but the real key is how the title distributes the credits in standard single player gameplay. Forza 5 adapted its reward loop in order to cater to these additional payments, while Sony stresses that that’s not the case in Gran Turismo 6.

“The game is just offering an alternative path for busy people,” stressed Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida on Twitter in response to the predictable social network backlash. “Microtransactions per se are not a bad thing – how the game is designed around them could become the problem.” Are you put off by practices like this, or are you happy to ignore the optional payments as long as the core game’s not altered? Rev your engines in the comments section below.

[via eurogamer.net, twitter.com]

Strofan7

Strofan7 said:

Honestly this is how microtransactions SHOULD be handled. Normal players can play the game the normal way, and lazy players or people without the time can spend money to buy shortcuts. The developer gets extra money and everyone gets what they want. Whats so bad about that? If you don't want to spend extra money...then don't. Just save up and buy the Jaguar in-game like you did on GT1-5. Nothing has changed.

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

So if you don't buy any microtransactions it plays just like every other GT game with regards to the grind? Thought so

Itachi

Itachi said:

Man, I remember a time when if you wanted to get through levels quick you could just get cheat codes. I used to get some from the magazine "Tips and Tricks" or just go online at gamespot.com in the cheats section. They don't even have a cheat section anymore that's just how much things have changed. How the hell did we get to the point where Microtransactions take the place of codes? I guess Game Genie would be considered blasphamy under todays standards.

belmont

belmont said:

Grinding for money in Gran Turismo is worst than grinding in jrpg games. I have friends that duo to this stopped playing the games.

divinelite

divinelite said:

Bought rainbow moon today. Despite has credit system I can opt not to buy to actually finish the gane
As long as like that I'm okay

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

Who in their right mind would pay £120 to play as a different car which will handle only slightly differently to others?

LDXD

LDXD said:

I think if a game has these types of transactions in them it should definitely labeled on the box in bold print so I don't accidentally buy the game I just refuse to support this type of nonsense whether its mandatory or optional. The fact that we are starting to slowly accept this and games that are 4-6 hrs long is starting to scare me

eaglebob345

eaglebob345 said:

@LDXD I thought I was the only one who felt this way about microtransactions. It's a $60 game, this should not be accepted.

I think that after $60 for a game and $50/yr dollars just to play online, microtransactions should be stricken from the game model. That's just greed, and it should not be accepted. Also, their is no possible way to handle microtransactions correctly with a $60 game and $50/yr for online play.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@eaglebob345 yeah this is one reason that may keep me from getting a ps4 because now we have the president of Sony defending micro transactions in full retail games and if that's the way its gonna be I won't be a part of it
I'm gonna just have to keep my eye on how things go. Microsoft has already got me boycotting their system with the DRM garbage they tried to pull I hope I don't have to do the same with Sony if they start having this type of thing in any of the games I want

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@belmont GT = grinding, wdym? You can't progress without redoing races cause you get like $1200 each race at first. Once you get $1mil you can stop, but that's literally all you can do for a long time in most GTs. It's fun!

eaglebob345

eaglebob345 said:

@LDXD Yeah, and the saddest part about it is that developers and publishers support these money grubbing practices and people are just eating it up. It is really disappointing when things like this happen.

It makes me think that they, and Microsoft, went with super powerful hardware to get followers, only to hide all of their good games' features behind pay walls later down in this generation. All I'll ever want from this generation from either of these two systems is Kingdom Hearts 3 and, if by some miracle, it comes to the Wii U, then I won't have to worry about paying for internet exclusive content at least. I would have still been supporting Sony along with Nintendo had PS Plus not been mandatory this generation. I mean, people can say what they want about Nintendo Network lacking features, but I don't care, because it is free. That also means that if/when Nintendo charges for online, be it next generation or beyond, I will then quit following any of the big three, as there would be no value left in the video game industry.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@eaglebob345 yeah I know we are on a Sony website but I really have to give Nintendo respect not going that route I've always loved and supported both Sony and Nintendo but I'm really not liking the way things are headed so far with ps4 I hope its just a few select games and nothing to worry about guess we will wait and see
Edit: yeah I'm with you on that if that's the future I'll just be a retro gamer from then on sad thing is its our own fault for allowing this to happen, people just accept it and pay for that kind of thing to even exist