You'll Now Be Able to Buy PSN Content Directly from Amazon

Game changer

This is potentially huge. As if there wasn’t enough excitement already cycling the PlayStation brand, Amazon has announced that it has launched its own version of the PlayStation Store – bringing competition to the console digital download space for the first time since the inception of Sony’s virtual plaza. What does this mean? That you’ll now have an alternative venue to purchase digital downloads outside of the PS4, PS3, and Vita’s on-board apps.

“The downside of going all digital for the next-gen consoles was going to be restricting yourself to only one storefront for potential deals, but now that's not an issue,” notes a Kotaku article on the announcement. “Sony already leaves its competitors in the dust when it comes to sales, especially with its PlayStation Plus programme, and adding Amazon's deal muscle to the mix increases the potential savings exponentially.”

A quick glance at the new storefront reveals some noteworthy deals. While most titles carry token discounts, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time can be purchased for $20 less through Amazon’s new store than Sony’s own. The addition of a new vendor means that digital prices are likely to get driven down much quicker, which will result in more savings for you.

To sweeten the launch, the online giant’s offering $5 PSN credit on selected purchases. Also, if you participate in the retailer’s Buy Two, Get One Free promotion later today, you’ll secure a further $5 PSN credit. Good news all around, then? Well, unfortunately, this is limited to the North American arm of Amazon for now, but we can see it expanding globally if successful. Would you be willing to shop around for downloadable content in the future? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via amzn.to, kotaku.com]

RetryAgainEric

RetryAgainEric said:

This is huge for the digital future! I like where this is going as competition is good for the consumers.

@RetryAgainEric Yup, it's an amazing, and unexpected announcement. If Sony allows multiple retailers to get involved in the future, this will be a massive boon for consumers.

belmont

belmont said:

Yes, I see it coming to Europe too. Some retailers here already sell codes via e-mail. I have seen Vita, 3DS and Wii U games. In most of cases the price is the same as the boxed version though.

SuperKMxAdmin

SuperKMx said:

This is amazing. So many benefits to doing things like this. The main one being that I won't have to use the godawful PS Store! Plus Amazon running their own discounts will be sweet, as well as the fact that gamers will be able to use Amazon gift certificates ;)

SuperKMxAdmin

SuperKMx said:

@get2sammyb I'll be honest, I don't see how they've gotten it so wrong. More than that, the fact that I need to update the PS Store software every other time I want to buy something is the main thing that puts me off. But hey, the PS4 will undoubtedly improve things and if not, we can all just head to Amazon. :)

Shellybird27

Shellybird27 said:

Do I have like something wrong with my PSN? Because it works FLAWLESSLY for me, seriously I don't see the complaints at all, I love it.

Cloud7794

Cloud7794 said:

@get2sammyb I don't know why it took so long for something like this to happen, GameStop has been selling some download codes in the stores and online for a while now. They're usually cheaper than buying the game over the network too. I can't wait to see the implications of this become a full reality :D

@Shellybird27 It's so messy and cluttered to me. In the old PS store at least, everything had its place and was categorized so that they were all easy to find. In this one I've had trouble finding particular sections many times because of the layout. The "highlights" before you enter most section too just seem like unnecessary distractions.

ZeD

ZeD said:

Could we see price wars? This would be brilliant as Sony wouldn't be the only company controlling the price of digital content :)

benrawr

benrawr said:

This is such good news that I'm at work and yet still yelled "holy **** balls"

Epic

Epic said:

THANKS SONY, this means more deals and its going now to be easier way to get digital content for people from other countries like me :D

rjejr

rjejr said:

Just to clarify - this gives you a DL code that you need to type into your PS device?

Gamestop is selling 1 yr. PS+ subscription cards on BF for $29.99, if Amazon matches I'll be buying it there.

The B2G1 link goes nowhere.

Itachi

Itachi said:

This is actually Big for Sony and yet another smart move. While Sony will possibly turn less of a profit on individual digital sales, this will however draw more people into their digital space. It's not always about controlling everything. Sometimes you just have to open the gates and let everyone get a fair slice of the money pie. This way everyone wins and Sony still gets the majority of the pie.

Farmboy74

Farmboy74 said:

If this comes to the UK and Europe then it can only be good thing. The only competition in the Uk at the minute is Game selling digital codes.