Weirdness: Microsoft Confirms That You'll Be Able to Play Killzone on Xbox One

In a roundabout way

Microsoft may have shifted the Xbox One’s messaging away from media functionality a touch after the backlash that it received following the format’s unveiling back in May, but that HDMI input still exists on the rear of the device. Mainly designed to allow you to overlay the next generation console’s interface on top of television shows and such, the system will also enable you to do some pretty strange stuff – like connect it to a PlayStation 4.

“Um, you could,” said a flustered Jeff Henshaw when asked the inevitable question by the Penny-Arcade Report. “If it puts out HDMI, it’ll work just great.” The performance won’t be flawless, as including the additional hardware will incorporate some additional lag – but according to the Microsoft man, this will be so small that it will be impossible for the eye to perceive. So yes, you’ll be able to play Killzone: Shadow Fall via the Xbox One, while employing all of that ambitious ‘Snap’ functionality that the Redmond-based manufacturer’s built into its machine.

Personally, we’re not entirely seeing the appeal of splicing our television into a dozen different pieces, but perhaps it’s something that you need to try before realising its true potential. Regardless, we daresay that those of you buying both consoles this Christmas will be desperate to, er, navigate the PS4’s user interface inside the Xbox One’s user interface. Pretty weird, huh?

[via penny-arcade.com]

RawShark

RawShark said:

I like the idea of having an all encompassing, unified entertainment centre, but have to say I'm a bt confused as to how it will all work. It will need to be REALLY intuitive if it's going to work. Frankly, looking at the 360 interface right now, I can't see it happening. For example it currently takes about eight to twelve inputs on my end to watch a film on Sky Player. As a comparison, on my iPad it takes three.

Cowboysfan-22

Cowboysfan-22 said:

@eLarkos PS4 controller since you're actually playing the PS4.
The only thing is like about this is exactly what the picture shows, playing a game while my fantasy team's score is updating. I don't think I'll be spending 500 dollars for that though

Ali247

Ali247 said:

But how? There is a robot thing in ps4s kz and u have to use the touch pad on the ds4 but how will it work on the xbones controller it Doesn't have a touch pad.

DoublezZ01

DoublezZ01 said:

he is playing On the PS4. ...the Xbox is in snap mode. ... the PS4 is just plugged into the extra port on the Xbox that the cable box would be plugged into XD

Carl-G

Carl-G said:

I would NEVER stick a Xbox under my T.V in a Billion years whatever it can do :D

Malouff

Malouff said:

Google TV has been doing a HDMI passthrough for years.
Also a picture in picture function where you can watch TV and use google chrome at the same time.
The best thing was the Netflix app when it first shipped as you could browse the entire library and then they made the UI the same with 75 results in certain categories.
This is not something new done by Microsoft.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

So not only would you have your TV on, but you would have both systems running at the same time... Electricity bills would be through the roof.

@Malouff Yeah, but Microsoft are the first ones to let you watch TV on your T-- oh wait.

Azikira

Azikira said:

So basically, the message I get from this is... Microsoft is asking everyone to buy a PS4.

I approve this message! :D

CrissCross87

CrissCross87 said:

I guess if you really wanted to party chat with multiple friends on XbOne while playing, without hitting the input button on the tv, this option is a thing.

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

I don't understand the fantasy football stats on the right of the screen...Donald Driver no longer plays for the Packers and Randall Cobb plays for the Packers yet it says he doesn't play until Monday...

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

I guess I'll have to buy an Xbox One in order to listen to my CDs while playing Killzone. I'm kidding. I think it's really cool this works and for anyone who already planned on owning both, it opens up a lot of really cool options. All that said, the features advertised in this post aren't the reason I'll grab an Xbox One in the future.