PS4 Firmware Update v1.51 Arrives in North America

Posted by Cale Stolle

Balancing things out

While the PlayStation 4 hasn't been available in North America for a week yet, it's already facing a second firmware update. As reported prior to launch, the previous update added many new features – including Remote Play and facial recognition – but this new refresh is not quite as flashy. According to the PlayStation Blog, it augments "software stability" and "minor refinements" to elements of the platform's user interface, such as clearly indicating when a user "downloads a game and a game patch at the same time".

The console will automatically download the update if your system is connected to the Internet and in standby mode, and should be available imminently. If your device is not connected to the web, you can find details on alternative update options through here. Hopefully, this clears up any crashing issues that players have been experiencing over the past few days.

[via blog.us.playstation.com]

YashaStepanovic

YashaStepanovic said:

my PS4 won't play blurays or dvds after this update (though admittedly I haven't tried them on the console til now), anyone else having this issue or is it just me?

YashaStepanovic

YashaStepanovic said:

yeah they're not supposed to play 3D ones at all yet til a system update later, but I can't get it to play anything whatsoever, must be something either on my end or with my particular console then :(

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

@YashaStepanovic What errors are you getting? I've tried a couple more and both dvds and blurays seem to be working fine for me. I can't really think of any setting that would limit your ability play a dvd/br disc.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

I wonder if this patch has anything to do with the EA comments they they later retracted.

YashaStepanovic

YashaStepanovic said:

@nathanuc1988 It doesn't even give me an error message, the console simply freezes with a black screen and refuses to do anything or respond to input until I either hit the eject button on the console (the console begins to function then) or I hard reset the console, I tried several discs myself, both DVD and bluray, and nothing worked

artemisthemp

artemisthemp said:

Hopefully a EU 1.51 will surfaces before November 29, 2013.
It's better to have a backup, then not been able to play.

YashaStepanovic

YashaStepanovic said:

@zeldagaymer93 I'm working on it still, I talked to a friend of mine who's had hardware experience working on the system, and it sounds like it's a problem with the HDCP handshake (basically a security measure over the HDMI cable to my TV), I tested my system on a friend's tv to confirm that's the problem. I contacted Sony last week, and they said they're sending me a disc that should force the authentication and fix the issue, still waiting on the disc, will let you know in a few days if it worked or not