Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 241 to 260 of 323

ZeD

@General_Spiller I am playong it all in hand helf and it plays well. Load times are sometimes a wait and it suffers a few frane drops but I cannot compare to the PS4.

Anyway, I was playing in bed until 1 this morning as the story gripped me

Staff Writer @ www.otakugamers.uk
PSN: zedmayer
115 Platinums
Latest Platinum : Slayaway Camp (PS4)
Working On: Patapon/Game of Thrones/Grim Fandango

PSN: zedmayer | Twitter:

Kidfried

(BOP! BOP BOP!).

@Ralizah That's a painfully spot on summary of the music, bravo! :'D

I'll let you know if I can make some time for it soon.

Kidfried

General_Spiller

@ZeD thanks for the info. I might just give it a whirl on the Switch then when it's on sale again. Love being able to sit in bed playing games and loving the Switch overall!

General_Spiller

PSN: General_Spiller

KratosMD

Got Persona 4: Dancing All Night in the mail today and I've been playing it for the past couple of hours on my Vita. I absolutely love this game! I played the story mode for about an hour and it's pretty good so far. It's so cool seeing the Investigation Team once again in a brand new story! Persona 4 Arena was pretty stale just because you had to constantly play through different people's perspectives, but P4DAN is told as a linear story, which is great. Can't wait to play more of it.

I also spent some time with 'Free Dance' mode and the music is absolutely wonderful. I haven't realised until now just how many amazing songs Persona 4 has! This game is seriously an awesome reward for anyone who has played through Persona 4 Golden and wants to celebrate it with the P4 crew in a pure joyful way. I regret not playing this game much earlier!

I mean seriously, this game has everything that I love: Great music, fun gameplay, more story and tons of customisation for the characters. Even Nanako is in this game! And I get to enjoy this on the Vita to boot, it's such a great time.

This game also reminded me how much I prefer the cast of P4 over P5 because of how cheerful, lovely and funny the P4 guys are. It's great seeing them again!

Edited on by KratosMD

KratosMD

Th3solution

@KratosMD You make me curious to try P4: DAN, especially since the P3 and P5 versions of the music game have recently come out. I haven’t been a music game fan really, but your description has me intrigued. So there is a legitimate story to the game? Is the story strong enough to carry the game on its own even if the gameplay isn’t particularly one’s cup-of-tea? How hard is the gameplay for someone who is just a casual fan of rhythm games? For perspective, I lost interest in Patapon once it got toward the end and the difficulty spiked, and my Yakuza karaoke scores are pretty subpar. I’d say I have at least average sense of rhythm for someone who doesn’t play an instrument, but I just don’t delve into that genre of games much.
I wonder how hard physical copies are to find. In the waning hours of Vita’s lifespan, I feel like I need to stockpile some games before they become extinct and this may be one I should add to the library if nothing else to have for the future.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

KratosMD

@Th3solution Yeah I also became interested in the P4 version after trying out the P3 and P5 versions. However, out of those three versions, the P4 one seems more worth your money since it indeed has an actual story while the P3 and P5 versions have (if I recall correctly) only bonding events and no actual story.

The thing with the story is that it's approximately 9 hours long according to HowLongToBeat, which is pretty good actually for a rhythm game but rather poor for a Persona game obviously. In terms of the actual story, the charm of the P4 cast is still well intact. The concept is rather ludicrous and nonsensical however (you dance in order to defeat Shadows) but if you can get pass that, the story is pretty appealing if you're a P4 fan. Because it's the characters that makes the story really enjoyable. I've completely forgotten how cheerful everyone is compared to the gloomy cast of P5.

In terms of rhythm games, I'm not particularly good at them either but I still found the gameplay to be simple and enjoyable. You basically use the outer parts of the face buttons (left, down, up on the d-pad, and triangle, circle and cross) for the input. Then there are moments where you have to press two buttons at the same time (symmetrical ones mind you, so down and cross, or up and triangle for example) or hold down a button for a certain amount of time (kinda like in Yakuza). Finally there are optional moments where you can flick the control stick (or press the L/R bumpers) to gain a higher combo.

I've played the game so far on Normal and it can get pretty challenging for some songs (since each song can be more difficult than the other, even on a constant difficulty). So playing on Easy would be the best option for you if you're not that familiar with rhythm games. The gameplay can also be modified in the story mode to be made even easier (you have the option between Beginner/Standard, and then Easy/Normal) so there are numerous options to choose from. If you ask me though, if you really love the music of Persona 4, you might become hooked on the gameplay and become better at playing rhythm games with this game. There are 25+ songs (remixes included) so you should find plenty of content here if you decide to replay your favourite songs.

Keep in mind that I haven't played that much of the story to give you my full opinion on it, which is why my response was kinda vague. However, I highly recommend checking out the P3 and P5 demos on PS4 and trying out the gameplay for yourself in order to see whether or not it's something you'd enjoy. I decided to buy this game physically since the online retailer that had the game was the last one in my country that sold it physically. And it also had a decent price (€30), so I just had to get it. For the record, the game has absolutely been worth the money so far. I'm really enjoying the story and the music is fantastic. I'm glad that I decided to add this to my Vita collection, it's a great game to play on the go.

KratosMD

JJ-firl

@KratosMD Sounds great! For me it’s a little too early to play DAN, so close to finishing P4G but I will definitely check it out in the near future.

Do you think this game could work for someone who hasn’t played P4 or P4G but likes rhythm games? I have a friend who might love this but he isn’t into JRPG’s (at all) so this might be a way to share my love with him.

Edited on by JJ-firl

pastel days & neon nights

PSN: JJ-firl

KratosMD

@JJ-firl The gameplay has a lot of variety for a rhythm game (as I mentioned in my previous post) so it could certainly pose for a good challenge if your friend is experienced with rhythm games. I mean, I bought the game primarily for the story and the Persona 4 music, but the gameplay has been slowly growing on me and it's really fun now. There are also a lot of interactions between the characters during the songs and you can see them in the background while playing, so it could certainly work as a slow introduction to the universe. The game has tons of great songs as well, so if you've shared some of them from P4G with him and he enjoyed them, then he might like DAN even more.

And if he wants to give the "gameplay" of the JRPG games a try, he could always try out the story mode and experience the visual novel aspect of the Persona games.

KratosMD

JJ-firl

@KratosMD Thanks for your detailed answer, much appreciated. I'm actually pretty eager to try it out now so it's added to my Vita's Most Wanted list.

The only negative: it's going to become even harder to get these songs out of my head at work!

KratosMD

@JJ-firl I just remembered that the game is on sale for €10 on the European PS Store, so if you don't have anything against buying the game digitally you could always get it that way.

Although the file size is rather large (around 3 GB), which is one of the reasons why I didn't opt for this version.

Edited on by KratosMD

KratosMD

JJ-firl

@KratosMD Cheers for the heads up. I usually prefer physical for Vita if possible, this would mean I'm looking at 35 EUR (new retail copy). Which I think is acceptable. However... it's hard to ignore this absolute steal.

The sale ends the 19th so I still have a week to decide.

FullbringIchigo

i actually have gone back to play some games on my PSP, i'm playing through Persona again right now

did you ever see a hurst go by and think that one day you're going die, they will stick you in a little box and cover you over with dirt and rocks

RogerRoger

I just started up a new playthrough on Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, part of the Hitman HD Trilogy on PS3. It won't take me very long (this was the first Hitman game I ever got, back in the day, and know it pretty well as a result) and I'm kinda more keen to play Contracts, which I've only ever completed once, before picking up the new PS4 versions of Blood Money and Absolution.

It's awesome to see just how much has changed, yet also how much remains the same. There are a lot of things which, going back to now, are quite jarring (you can't choke-hold guards and have a limited supply of anaesthetic, meaning you either need a heck of a lot of patience or some NPCs are just gonna have to be killed, and the suspicion meter for your disguises took me a moment to re-learn). Given that this was also an incredibly ambitious game at the time, it suffers from a certain randomness which can be charming at first, but then pigging annoying after a couple levels. Even when you reload a save, the same actions that went undetected before can suddenly raise the alarm, because guards who couldn't see through that tree or wall before totally can now.

It also shows how the character of 47 has evolved over the years. Play any of the newer games and then return to this story of redemption, where he's praying with Father Vittorio and starting each mission with a rambling, semi-philosophical monologue, and it's like he's a totally different person in some ways. But then you can also track how the events of each game, and his gradual resignation to his reality, transforms him over time. I love that David Bateson has never been re-cast; it just wouldn't be 47 without him, no matter at which stage of his arc you join him.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KratosMD

After finishing Kingdom Hearts, I've been in a mood to play more action RPGs and I decided to go back and finish the first Dark Souls on PS3. I actually contemplated on buying the remastered version on Switch since it's been over two years since I last played the game. However, I've already put in 30 hours into this game and I'm more than halfway through it so I decided not to do it and simply finish the game when I'm this close to the end.

Right now I'm at The Duke's Archives but I've managed to find my way out to the Crystal Cave so I'll be going there next. I've spent the past hour refamiliarising myself with the game after all these years and now I feel like I got the hang of it again. I've really missed playing the Souls games so I'm really looking forward to completing the first one now.

Edited on by KratosMD

KratosMD

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD How weird. That is the exact same point I gave up on when I first played it! I did find that section a lot easier in the Remastered version, but it was still tricky. Think it had more to with me playing the hell outta the other games than the improvements from the Remastered version. Although that it help a great deal in some areas like Blighttown.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

KratosMD

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah the remastered version does look much better than the last gen one. It would've been nice to finally experience Blighttown without all the constant lagging, but oh well.

But yeah, I think I gave up at that point because I'd been playing the game for a long time and the end was nowhere in sight (especially when considering I still have the DLC left to do before the final area). I think I also got stuck there (bloody mazes, am I right? lol) and I was running around and didn't know where to go. Apparently I was running past a staircase that I hadn't even gone on until today, lol. I mean, can you really blame me, each floor in that area looks pretty much the same!

Anyway, I'm really excited to play more of this game. By the way, have you played other Souls games? Which one would you recommend after playing through the first Dark Souls? I have Demon's Souls or Dark Souls II in mind since I've already finished Bloodborne.

KratosMD

JohnnyShoulder

@KratosMD Yeah that staircase is well confusing, but it is a brilliantly designed level, the way you come back on yourself.

I've not played Demon Souls, but that came before Dark Souls and as far as I know doesn't share the same lore and story beats. So I would probably just go for 2 and 3. If you don't have the second game already, I highly recommend the ps4 remastered version. It is often on sale so you could probs easily find it for a good price.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

KratosMD

@JohnnyShoulder Cheers for the tip. I already have all these games, so the only matter is which one to play first. I think I'll give the second game a try then. I've been wanting to play something new on my PS4 lately, so this would be the perfect fit. Hopefully I'll enjoy it!

KratosMD

Th3solution

@KratosMD That’s amazing that you were able to pick back up after 2 years and refamiliaize yourself to Dark Souls after an hour. I’m impressed. If I leave a game dormant it is always so hard to get back into it, both from a skill standpoint, and from a narrative one. And Dark Souls seems like would be one of the harder ones to pick back up, given how hard it is to begin with.
I gave up on Dark Souls back on PS3 after just a couple hours, maybe 2-3. After the first boss I think. I can’t even remember; it’s been much more than 2 yrs. more like 4. But now since I played, loved, and finished Bloodborne, maybe I’d like it the second time around. I wonder if the skill will translate over. I think I’ll start with Dark Souls 3, since supposedly it’s the most similar to BB. But I have too much in my backlog for now.

Edited on by Th3solution

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

KratosMD

@Th3solution It sure was hard though trying to remember all the mechanics in the game. For example, I had completely forgotten that you have to kindle a bonfire every time you gain access to a new one just to get 10 Estus flasks. I also forgot that using a shield is actually a thing in this game, in contrast to Bloodborne. I kept getting hit everywhere I went until I realised what I was doing wrong, lol.

Speaking of Bloodborne, it was actually my first Souls game that I played and finished. It is because of that game that I decided to play through Dark Souls on PS3 and yeah, it definitely felt like I had a much better time with the game thanks to my experience with Bloodborne. It will certainly help you enjoy the game much more.

I actually think that Dark Souls is easier than Bloodborne in terms of the gameplay style at least. That is, in Bloodborne you are encouraged to constantly attack your enemies, which will leave you more vulnerable to attacks. While in Dark Souls you are encouraged to use your shield to deflect attacks, which makes it a much safer experience. Instead of having to constantly dodge (which is harder in Dark Souls because you have armour that will weigh you down) you have to rely on a slower approach by taking blows with your shield and dealing damage quickly afterwards. It's actually a more relaxing and satisfying game since you can take your time more than in Bloodborne.

But yeah, DS3 is probably the best game to play if you're still not 100% sure you'll enjoy the other Souls games.

Edited on by KratosMD

KratosMD

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic