Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 2,761 to 2,780 of 7,479

belmont

@KratosMD So there is no gts system like the previous games? I guess thats means no buy for a lot of people.

It is way bizarre that it makes it is so difficult to complete the monster collection. I guess there is also no pokemon bank support that is something promised a while ago as the defacto way to move you characters from game to game.

These days I play Blosson Tales a fun zelda clone. I also plan on finally starting the Torna chapter.

Edited on by belmont

belmont

RogerRoger

@KratosMD I've been really grateful for your thoughts on Let's Go. As mentioned recently in a different topic, I was considering this as a Christmas present for my partner, since he's a huge Nintendo fan and hasn't gotten anything new for his Switch all year. I thought I'd just double-check with him, though, and casually slipped Pokémon into discussion a couple days ago; glad I did, as he said that he once tried playing Red (I think) and hated it. He didn't like the random, forced battles that popped up out of nowhere and the fact that the turn-based combat was very static, scripted and long-winded.

Having read your positive write-up and seen your screencaps, however, do you think that somebody with those concerns (and who hasn't played a Pokémon game since the late 90s) could still enjoy Let's Go? Given that he's carrying quite a long grudge against a series that's obviously evolved (pun semi-intended) over the decades since he last played it, I'm still not writing the idea off entirely.

Otherwise I'll just default to getting him the new Smash game. I don't think he'll like that, though.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

belmont

@KratosMD Thanks for the heads'up for the game. Seriously your input was more useful than some reviews I have read. Anyway even though there are only 151 characters I still think that it sucks that gts is not there. I literally don't know anyone playing and trading with strangers via gts really helped in the past.

Another thing for consideration: Nintendo Switch Online save back up thing is not compatible with let's go for some reason.

belmont

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Legendary answer to a tough question; you're guessing his feelings based on my interpretation of his answers, so it's a recommendation you're making three steps removed. You're awesome for describing those particular systems in such detail, and for pointing out ways to mitigate some issues he may have. I'll talk around it a little more with him and make a decision. Thank you!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Octane

It's so weird to see so many people enjoy Let's Go when it's absolutely not what I personally want from a Pokemon game. I think it looks incredibly cheap as well; an easy cash grab. Yuck

But if you enjoy it, more power to you!

Octane

Jaz007

I've really been starting to look at the New Smash Bros, but the fact I need to pay for online is hurting the cause. I don't want another service to pay for, but I'd want the online for the game.
Also, does the Wii U gamecube adaptor work with the Switch to use existing gamecubes controllers? I'm a little confused there.

Jaz007

Jaz007

@KratosMD Honestly, you're right, but I'm feeling the effects of Nintendo messing up last generation with more than I thought I would. Maybe it's also that (even though I need to give it more time) Breath of the Wild hasn't caught me like I thought it would. I haven't been attentive or excited about Nintendo's upcoming line-up as I thought I would be. It's not a good thing, but it's hard to fix with how many games there are to play on the PS4 right now. I've surprised myself with my lack of pre-order of the new SSB and stuff.
That's great and encouraging news that I won't need any new gamecube adapters or controllers for the game though.

Jaz007

Ralizah

Based on the little we've seen, the new Fire Emblem looks really cool and ambitious. It's nice to see a lot of these franchises returning to hardware with some heft to it.

Although, as one of the five people who really loved the stereoscopic 3D on the 3DS, I'm going to miss FE battlefields looking like miniature dioramas.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Octane

Fire Emblem was another one of those logo reveals, same with Bayonetta. And Luigi's Mansion may as well have been a logo too. It's weird how they treat game reveals like it's the least important thing these days. A 3-minute trailer and a some gameplay demo are lot more exciting IMO. You can say what you want about Sony revealing stuff too soon, but when they do, they tend to go all out, and I do like that.

Octane

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Thanks for that extra information about Smash; I didn't know that. To be honest, I just know I'll be partly safe with that game because it includes Mario and Link, and I definitely know he likes them! I'm not sure fighting games are his thing, but Smash gameplay is simple enough (or at least it was last time I played one) that he doesn't have to be a combo-master to do well against the AI, and against humans... well, he'll only ever be fighting me, and I'm not exactly gonna be scouted for an eSports team anytime soon.

You've been invaluable, thanks again; hope you continue to enjoy Let's Go!

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@KratosMD The trading set-up does sound peculiar. Nintendo did something similar with their ill-fated Mii app (can't remember the name!) I'm still undecided on whether to get the online. I suppose it depends on how many games I envisage playing online. Will get Pokémon Let's Go Eevee though, thanks for all your positive impressions.

@RogerRoger Has your partner played Captain Toad? It's not a particularly long game, but I found it most delightful when I played it on the Wii U. It has little diarama stages with simple puzzles to progress. Unlike Mario, Toad can't jump. The Switch version has some stages based on Super Mario Odyssey.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

@mookysam Just watched a trailer and found it adorable, and I know he loves Toad because he's got about six different cuddly versions of him dotted about the house; you're a genius, thank you!

Might wind up being that and Smash, and I'll wait for Pokémon to be a little cheaper since it's a risk.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

Easy Allies preview of Smash Ultimate. They sound REALLY impressed with the game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Octane

@Ralizah Ben Moore is usually very satisfied with every game

But yeah, it's Smash, the Wii U game was pretty good IMO, and this is just that but more it seems. Can't get much worse than that, so it'll be a good game regardless. But with a single player mode this time as well.

Octane

Kidfried

@Octane I love the allies, and Ben Moore is a good dude, but I agree he is easily impress ed anyway. I don't think that's a bad thing by the way, but his impressions have a very different approach from say a hands-on by Push Square or basically any other outlet - and they're definitely less balanced.

Regardless, I think Smash Ultimate looks really good. I've been critical of this game in the past, and I'll admit the game has not taken the direction I would have wanted it to go, but the more I see of this game (and some of its smaller changes), the more I am assured this game will deliver the fun.

@RogerRoger I think Captain Toad is a great game. It's a lot of fun to play on your own, but solving the platforming/puzzles together is just as fun.

I don't know how your partner would respond to Smash Bros. Ultimate. Based on my previous experience with the series, it's a pretty hardcore game, and the core gameplay remains, whatever mode you play... still a fighting game. The single player content doesn't change a lot about that fact; it's more there as a reason to keep playing, than as something that stands on its own.

I really dislike the concept behind Pokemon Let's Go personally, but it does look like the game that someone who thinks the world is cool, but didn't enjoy the original Pokemon's game play loop might enjoy after all. Of course that only works if someone is actually interested in the world of Pokemon.

(PS I think Stardew Valley is a great game too for Switch. I gifted it to my partner last year for PS4, who played the heck out of it. Don't know if that type of game would appeal to your partner at all, by the way.)

Kidfried

Kidfried

@KratosMD Looks super fun to play. Hopefully I don't have too many family obligations during the week of Christmas. I'd love to put quite an amount of hours into this mode.

(The spirit stuff I could do without, though)

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Ralizah

The spirits in Smash Ultimate, in a lot of ways, remind me of the blades from Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

@Octane In this case, most of the hands-on impressions are really positive, especially when it comes to World of Light.

Granted, it's Smash, so it was going to be good fun regardless, but it's nice to get what looks like really substantive single-player content in this entry. That's the one area where Smash 4 really lacked.

Edited on by Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Thank you for your additional information and recommendations! The more I think about it, the more I reckon Smash might not be a good fit, for some of the reasons you mention (and the fact that, beyond the Mario and Zelda characters for him, and Sonic for me, we'd both be pretty lost identifying the other 75% of the roster).

We do play single player games as co-ops, so your suggested approach to Captain Toad makes me even more confident that it's the right choice of the three available games. I saw an article on Kotaku about Pokémon Let's Go featuring motion controls that weren't friendly to those with motor control issues, with no option to switch to more traditional inputs, and so I know he wouldn't be able to play it without me being there anyway, but I'd at least like for him to have the option to continue on with something when I'm away, like he did with Breath of the Wild.

I'll also consider Stardew Valley, thanks; right now, though, I'm in danger of making this the "Let's All Decide What to Get David" topic, so I'll leave it there!

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

Black Friday digital sales are up on Nintendo eshop and they're... surprisingly decent?

For Nintendo, anyway.

I'm a little annoyed that Valkyria Chronicles 4 dropped so fast (it's $30 digitally on both PS4 and Switch at the moment), but it was worth full price, and if this will expose more people to this awesome game, then it can only be a good thing.

Shining Resonance at $25 and DOOM at $30 are both tempting.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic