Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 2,781 to 2,800 of 7,479

Haruki_NLI

Pokken Tournament DX makes my 57th Switch title.

Good lord I have a problem. Haven't pumped so much into one platform since the PS2.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

I doubt I'll ever experience any system's library as thoroughly as the one on the 3DS. I've owned at least 90+ 3DS-developed titles (digital and retail), but that number skyrockets to 190+ games if you include VC purchases.

Of course, I've gifted and/or sold a large number of my physical games at this point.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Haruki_NLI

Let's Go isnt as different as you think. No new areas, no new Pokemon, and st least Gen 7 changed the way you orogress from 8 badges to trials more organic to the world.

Either way for how easy it is to find shinies...ive found none. But my luck is historicly laughable.

Annoyingly Kangaskhan is only a 1% chance encounter and sure I could send from GO but its a regional exclusive. My area gets Mr. Mime which is really common in Lets Go.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah wrote:

Black Friday digital sales are up on Nintendo eshop and they're... surprisingly decent?

For Nintendo, anyway.

I'm a little annoyed that Valkyria Chronicles 4 dropped so fast (it's $30 digitally on both PS4 and Switch at the moment), but it was worth full price, and if this will expose more people to this awesome game, then it can only be a good thing.

Shining Resonance at $25 and DOOM at $30 are both tempting.

It is surprisingly decent, with some first party games reduced. Tempted to get Donkey Kong, but I can't use my £25 on Amazon as they don't sell e shop credit, either physically or digitally. I still might get that or Captain Toad though as I have 11 quid on my Nintendo account. How dies DO play in portable mode?

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

@JohnnyShoulder DO? If you mean DOOM, it plays great. It seems like the performance on Switch was optimized with handheld mode in mind (which it should be, because handheld mode is the unique innovation of the Switch version, and what makes it positively stand out from versions on beefier hardware).

I would say gyro controls are the killer feature of the Switch version, but, honestly, gyro controls work great in the Steam version of the game with a DS4 as well.

Edited on by Ralizah

kyleforrester87

Loving XBC2 Golden Country. This game is really one of my all time favourites. Normally I get bored of long games but I just don't want it to end.

@Ralizah How many hours have you put into it?

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87 Into Torna? About 9 or so. I've been mostly running around, filling out affinity charts and completing quests so far. I'm in no rush to beat this.

I really, really like some of the additions, like the community feature, the new, jazzier battle theme, and the streamlined combat.

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah Ah no, I meant DK as in Donkey Kong. I have Doom for PS4 and won't be double dipping. Class game though.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Ralizah

@JohnnyShoulder Tropical Freeze runs at 600p or so in handheld mode with a rock-solid 60fps performance. So the game holds up pretty well. Even at sub-native resolution, it's still reasonably sharp on the tablet screen. Moreover, and this can't be stressed enough, it's one of the best 2D sidescrollers ever made.

kyleforrester87

@Ralizah I'm about 10 hours and level 34-35, I've slowed down with the story a bit too to do side quests and affinity stuff. To be honest they have kinda spoilt the Gormotti overworld theme a bit I think, but then it was one of my favourites in the original. The rest of the music is class, so far, though.

I just love all the yapping during battle and the weird 20 second conversations they have afterwards. There are so many weird, wonderful and brave design choices in the game actually, which I think could easily have been removed, but it all just works together in a beautifully chaotic way and the games just overflowing with personality as a result.

And the level design, man! When the stars are out, the musics right and you can see a giant Titan wing moving up and down on the horizon, it actually makes me stop and and have a moment with myself. I'm loving 4K but games like Horizon and Uncharted haven't given me that kind of reaction.

kyleforrester87

Ralizah

@kyleforrester87 Hmm, I like that Gormott's theme is jazzier and less ostentatious now. It gives the Torna version of the area its own identity. Great remix.

Some of those post-battle conversations go on forever, man. I was faffing around in someone's affinity chart after a battle, just listening to Mythra and someone else prattle on for a good half minute or so, wondering where the cut-off point for it would be.

I got a lot of the same emotions from Zelda. It's not as visually pretty, but when you're up on some hill, the grass is rippling musically, the sun is setting, and gentle piano notes sound as if they're being played in the distance... it works brilliantly to ground me in that world. Also very cool when you're in the middle of one of those genuinely scary thunderstorms where the lightning is whipping the ground around Link.

This is probably a good time to recall that Monolith Soft was heavily involved with the open world geographical design of BotW.

Octane

@Ralizah The Monolith Soft team that helped with Zelda isn't the same team as the Xenoblade team. Xenoblade team is in Tokyo. The Kyoto branch of Monolith Soft is like a support team for Nintendo EAD. They didn't only work on Zelda, they also worked on Pikmin, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, etc. Basically any Nintendo Kyoto game. It's just a coincidence!

Octane

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah Cheers! I might get it tomos if it is still reduced as I get paid then.

belmont

I just beat Torna. To be honest I liked it a more than the original game. The small changes make battles better, the main characters are actually likable (rex and nia were way generic) and it really has an actual satisfying ending with the final battles being my favourite in the series.

Too bad they never patched the performance issues in handheld mode though.

So I got Hyperlight in the current discounts but I may go back and finish Doom first. I see also Enter the Gungeon for 5.69 pounds. Has anyone tried it?

belmont

kyleforrester87

@belmont I loved Rex & Nia 😂 I love these guys too, though. How many hours?

Hyper Light Drifter is awesome. I'm pretty good at it too, beat NG+ and casually trying to do a no death run on normal. My best attempt is 3 deaths (I think? 5 or less, anyway!). PS4 version. Really awesome game.

Not tried ETG, my friend says it's awesome.

Edit: I realised I said awesome a lot. My vocabulary ain't awesome.

kyleforrester87

belmont

@kyleforrester87 I have clocked ~28 hours and I completed everything except two sidequests that unlock post game. I worked a bit on affinity charts but I have not totally completed them. I used the faq on gamefaqs for some sidequests. The only think I didn't like is that after all the sidequests seeing the community tab over and over again is tyring.

Lora and Addam are way better than Rex and Nia IMHO. Better writing, better voice acting and they don't seem jrpg generic.

I started Hyper Light Drifter. Seems very interesting. Runs great on Switch portable but sometimes the weapon pointer is not clearly visible. In your opinion is the storytelling good even without the written dialogue in HLD?

belmont

kyleforrester87

@belmont the story telling is really quite vague, and the overall plot doesn't make a great deal of sense frankly. But it's open to interpretation and there are some solid theories if you are not very good at picking up on some of the finer details (which I am not).

It doesn't really matter to me though, you get the general idea easily enough and the environments and soundtrack create great sense of wonder.

As for the gun pointer i know what you mean, but once you get the hang of it you don't really spend time lining up shots, you just shoot and move in pretty quick succession. You basically die in 1 or 2 hits against anything in NG+ so you gotta be quick! It feels great when you're comfortable with the controls and destroy a big mob without taking damage.

Try the dash challenge in the main town, too. My best is around 1000, there was a trophy for 800+ on PS4. Drove me a bit mad 😂

kyleforrester87

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic