Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 2,741 to 2,760 of 7,479

Octane

@KratosMD It's a great game. And you can play turf war at any time. But yeah, if you're going in with the mindset of "I want to play some Salmon Run right now", or "I want to play this mode on ranked", there's a decent chance it won't be available. And yes, maps are also on rotation. I don't care too much about what map I'm playing, so the map rotation doesn't really bother me. The single player campaign is pretty fun though, and the DLC is very good as well.

Octane

Ralizah

Salmon Run has pretty large availability windows, at least. It's not very often that I wanted to play it and couldn't.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Octane

@Ralizah Isn't it 50/50? Every other day? I thought it was something like that.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane 12 to 24 hour time slots, I believe.

Edited on by Ralizah

Haruki_NLI

@KratosMD You can play with both Joy-Con on the TV at once. You just get two player characters on screen, in the two player mode, on your own, which is no issue due to how simple the controls are, and then you make every battle a 2 on 1 match.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

The one joycon thing is really annoying. They should give you an option to play with both and opt out of the drop-in multiplayer.

Also, I've heard complaints about the motion controls on the TV (particularly about curving Pokeballs), although it sounds much more intuitive in handheld mode. The handheld mode controls would have been a great fit for the Pro Controller.

Fight_Teza_Fight

I really wish the Switch was 3DS BC. I'm currently playing Alpha Sapphire on it and pretending Let's Go doesn't exist and I'm loving it.
I've really come around to the Mega Evolutions. I can't wait for Gen8 on Switch! Going to get back into competitive Pokemon .

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Octane

@KratosMD You never had to fight the Pokemon in the previous games if you wanted to catch them. Lowering their health just increased the chance. So it actually offered an extra option which isn't present in this game. Except for legendaries weirdly enough, but they are on a timer, which is also weird.

Octane

Octane

@KratosMD If you're fighting Mewtwo in Let's GO you still need to lower its health. Legendaries are like the old battles, but they're on a timer in Pokemon Let's Go.

And yeah, it was optional. You could always chuck a Poke Ball at a Pokemon with full health. Most lower leveled Pokemon would stay in, higher leveled Pokemon required handful or maybe a dozen Poke Balls, just like in Let's GO. But lowering their health first means you're increasing the chance and saving on the amount of Poke Balls you use.

Octane

Octane

@KratosMD Alright, you got me curious, so I did some calculating. In Red and Blue, if you throw a Great Ball at a level 30 Gloom with full health, you have approximately 31% of catching it. In Pokemon Let's Go, same situation, assuming you're getting at least a ''Nice!'', there's about 29% of catching it every time you throw a ball. So chucking balls at Pokemon – without lowering their health – makes just as much sense in the old games as it does in Let's Go. The chance of catching it is about the same. The difference is that you have the option to increase the odds by battling them in any other game. Getting a Pokemon down to 50% increases the odds by 200%, and even a status condition like sleep increases it by about 50%. You can play any other game like Let's Go and throw balls without fighting them.

Octane

Ralizah

I'm going to be disappointed if there's not a Missingno reference somewhere in this game.

KratosMD wrote:

it's not like you'd battle a Mewtwo and think "Hmm should I throw a Poké Ball or should I lower its health?"

Master Ball. Always saved mine for Mewtwo, as he was traditionally the hardest of the legendaries to catch.

@Octane I imagine things have probably been adjusted in-game to account for the fact that you're just chucking Pokeballs at everything right away. Maybe the price is lower? Pokeballs were never something you wanted to be wasteful with early on in the game.

Edited on by Ralizah

mookysam

@KratosMD Thanks for your impressions. When Pokémon level up, do you have control over whether they learn a move or not like in past games, or is everything automatic? Also, have you felt much need to grind thus far (catch lots of pokémon), and would you say there more trainers than in the original to compensate for the lack of random pokémon battles?

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Octane

It's so weird how none of the Switch games are part of the Black Friday deals in my local shops. They have big spreadsheets of Xbox and PS4 games that are going to be on sale and a handful of third party Switch games like Just Dance; i.e. the stuff nobody cares about. Nothing from Nintendo though... The list of 360/PS3 games is even bigger than the list of Switch games that are part of the sale. I was hoping to get a cheap copy of BOTW, because I want to give it another chance, and the holidays seem like the perfect time.

Octane

Ralizah

While I don't regret getting the Switch version of Valkyria Chronicles 4 one bit (it's basically the PS4 version, but fully portable, which is amazing), seeing how much time I've invested in going back and A-ranking all previous missions, squad stories, and skirmishes, I do feel a little sad that Nintendo never embraced trophies. I'd be well on my way to a Platinum trophy by now.

With that said, I also kind of hate that I attach any sense of importance to collecting trophies for certain games, since they're pretty meaningless little trinkets, and I'll be fully completing the game regardless.

@Octane Don't you already own BotW?

Octane

@Ralizah Yeah I do, but since the Switch versions runs a little better I think, and let's be honest, I own pretty much every Zelda game for every system I own, I don't mind having it for the Switch as well.

I have several copies of OOT, MM, WW and TP as well. It's nothing new, that's just me

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane Well, if you play in handheld mode at all, the game's laid-back open world exploration is a perfect match for the system's portable nature. And yeah, it does run better: it evens out the performance in spots where the Wii U is apparently still a bit rough, and it's 900p on the TV versus 720p. Nothing mind-blowing, but it's definitely the ideal platform for the game.

@KratosMD Creating a bizarre system that literally nobody else would have opted for or even thought of in place of something more efficient and sensible... that really is classic Nintendo developer behavior.

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah Irony is GameFreak isn't even a "Nintendo" developer...

GameFreak just makes weird decisions.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic