Forums

Topic: Games you've recently beat

Posts 1,301 to 1,320 of 5,530

HallowMoonshadow

I came into it completely blind @Ralizah because I'd forgotten it'd even existed. Which kinda says it all to me really in hindsight xD

I'd honestly say for you to try it yourself though even if I had a bad experience with it... You might end up really gelling with it...

... Or feel the exact same.

But at least then you'll actually know your thoughts on it once and for all

No I haven't @Areus and probably won't for a good long while.

My impressions of the Cyber Sleuth sequel is up a couple of comments @KratosMD if you're interested x3

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

crimsontadpoles

Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask 3DS. It's one of the more weird and wacky Zelda games, but it's also one of the best.

The 3 day cycle was very well done in this game. I was worried at first that this was going to cause a lot of repetition, but it turns out that's mostly not a problem. Since you get to keep key items, masks, songs, and banked money at the end of each cycle, it meant that there's very little repetition when you warp back to Day 1.

Characters will do different things depending on the time and day, making this game feel a lot more alive than other Zelda games. The notebook automatically keeps track of what's going on, making it easy enough to manage the different events.

Another thing I really like about this is the hint system. If you get stuck, there's a shrine in an easily accessible area that you can crawl into that'll show you visions to help guide you. If you don't want any hints, then this shrine is easily avoided. Zelda games generally have these areas where I miss something important, then spend a long time trying to figure things out, then usually having to resort to a walkthrough. With Majora's Mask, looking at an occasional hint meant that I could reach the end credits without frustration.

Dungeons in this game are rather good. There's plenty of depth to them, and they require plenty of exploration and some thinking to reach the end of them. The number of dungeons does feel a little low compared to some of thw other Zelda games though.

Out of the three 3D Zelda games I've played (Ocarina of Time 3DS, Wind Waker Wii U, Majora's Mask 3DS), its really hard to choose a favourite. They're all great in different ways.

Edited on by crimsontadpoles

Kidfried

Just beat Burnout Paradise. It's a somewhat decent game, but I disagree with those lauding it as the pinnacle of arcade racing.

Things I don't like:

• Rubber banding. This game is even worse than Mario Kart. It's pretty clear cars drive slower when they're in front of you, and it's also pretty clear that cars don't crash into traffic as much when they're behind you.
  • Winning is more dependent on your willingness to switch between the race and the map (to look up the fastest route) than your driving skills. It's more like GPS navigation: The Game.
  • Smashing someone will trigger a crash animation, during which your car kind of auto drives. That wouldn't be a problem if it wouldn't often result in your car taking the wrong turns.
  • Not having the option to switch cars before a race, or auto teleport, hurts the flow massively.
  • Floaty driving. Feels like your navigating at sea more than actually driving in the corners.
  • Crashing and putting you back on track takes so long. Honestly, I get wanting to penalty someone for crashing into a wall, but that's not the reason. The reason is they want to show you the crash.
  • No option to restart an event.

The crashing for points minigame, though, it's really good: 10/10. Aside from that I'd recommend Onrush to anyone who loves arcade racing with a twist. For everyone who wants an open world in their driving game, play Forza Horizon.

I'm still having enough fun to continue for the platinum, so at least there's that!

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Tasuki

@Kidfried Great write up and I agree with everything you say. I got Burnout Paradise on 360 a while back for free with Games with Gold and it was alright. I can see at the time it was probably a great game. However with games like The Crew and Forza Horizon there are better options for the kind of game they were looking to accomplish. Now the people that give it such high praise are probably looking through rose tinted glasses, which isn't bad thing more power to them but to someone who's coming into Burnout Paradise now.....

Still it's not a bad game, I played it enjoyed it for what it was worth but then I moved on. If I have an itch to play an open world racing game would I play it? Probably not due to as you said there is the Horizon series.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

RogerRoger

Platinum #33 - LEGO DC Super-Villains

With one exception, every LEGO game I've ever 100%'d has felt like a chore towards the end. They usually outstay their welcome by about four or five hours, especially those with DLC levels thrown in, adding a bunch of unnecessary collection tasks or impossible stud goals for unlocking the final Red Brick.

And okay, so the DLC levels for this game weren't amazing. There's also borderline too much to keep track of in each level (Minikits, Red Bricks, Character Tokens and Graffiti Posters, oh my) to the point where you'll inevitably miss a few things and have to play through some of them a third time, after the story and first Free Play pass. It was incredibly daunting at first, and led to a few minor frustrations scattered throughout the post-story clean-up.

But the bottom line is, this is one of the best LEGO games ever made, simply because it remembers to be a half-decent DC Comics game in its own right. In the same way LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars is the best game based on Star Wars: The Clone Wars even without its brick-shaped trappings, wandering around the map and discovering easter eggs, meeting new characters and soaking up the fan service (whilst also doing silly things, like riding a baby wooly mammoth or putting a selfie of your custom character up on every billboard you can find) is some of the best DC-based immersion I've ever experienced. Even when I didn't understand a reference, I still knew it was a reference to something and it made me smile.

It's not groundbreaking or revolutionary in any way, but that's okay. Sometimes you just wanna have fun, and what could be more fun than being followed around town by a little Joker who periodically kicks a custard pie about whilst giggling in Mark Hamill's voice?

Even after 42 hours, I will genuinely miss this game.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@crimsontadpoles Really glad you enjoyed Hitman 2 (2018) as much as you did. If it helps, there'll likely be a point where all Elusive Targets are made available to everybody, as they did the same with the previous Hitman game after a year or so. You'll still only get one chance to complete it, but you'll be able to play them at your leisure, not within a tight timeframe. I've missed a couple now (got the unlock suits I wanted and kinda stopped showing up) but I'd love to give them a shot later on.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Rudy_Manchego

So I recently decided to wrap up my second playthrough of Bloodborne last night. I finished the base game and had done all the DLC except for 2 bosses - Laurence and the Orphan Kos. Hadn't even tried the Orphan. I have also got half way through the Chalice Dungeons but I was getting burnt out. So I still need to get one weapon and get to the Ptumerian Queen for the platinum, and do the last 2 bosses for the DLC 100%.

Now I am torn with what to fully commit to next. I want to go into Bloodstained but I got it on Switch so waiting for a patch. Might give Detroit a go.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

QualityGeezer

Just finished my platinum run through on the witcher 3 and even tho there's nothing left to achieve I want to play it again

QualityGeezer

Th3solution

@Rudy_Manchego I mentioned it in the game thread but I do consider Detroit a nice palate cleanser type game, one that is more of a sit back and enjoy the story type of game. Since you’ve been a little burned-out on high intensity combat and difficulty, I think it’s a good one to recharge your batteries on, so to speak.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Rudy_Manchego

@Th3solution That's what I was thinking. I fancy something where I am not sat bolt upright and having to give 100% concentration. Unless there are loads of non signposted quicktime events

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

HallowMoonshadow

Well... I've beaten the chris side now of REmake @Ralizah

Honestly I might have to sit on a review for it, let my thoughts stew for a while... This is quite a toughie to pin down what I liked and didn't like about it

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Th3solution

@Rudy_Manchego Well, there is that — yeah, I remember a time or two that I missed a QTE because I was just sitting back and relaxing just watching.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Next up: invisible enemies mode?!

But yeah, with some games, it can definitely help to let your thoughts stew a bit. Especially when your feelings are conflicted.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

I can safely say I enjoyed it more then Zero @Ralizah ... But that's not saying a whole lot 😅

Playing these two though has put me in a Resident Evil mood... Might have to replay the other Resi's i have

Ralizah

I can't play two games in the same series back-to-back. Heck, I can't even do multiple lengthy character scenarios in the same game back-to-back. I've been taking a break from REmake 2 for months after finished Leon's campaign for that reason.

Only my absolute favorite games have hooked me from beginning to end without stopping. Especially if they're long. I recall both SMT IV: Apocalypse and BotW were completed in breathless, three-week marathons.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah I'm the same. My next game I usually aim for it to be a totally different type of game from the last.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

HallowMoonshadow

Mmm well it just depends on my mood @Ralizah .

Like as soon as I finished Dark Souls 3 I made a new character and dove right back in... Other times I'll go through about ten games before I finally settle on something... Usually I'll try to play something different... But yeah I'm in the mood for Resi

Plus playing another like Code Veronica or RE:3 might help me sort out my thoughts on how I feel about REmake!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

LieutenantFatman

Managed 100% in adventure mode on Crash Team Racing rather quickly. Was fun, I'm considering trading it in while it's still worth something decent though. I do enjoy some online play but I'm not sure this is the best game for it.

LieutenantFatman

Tasuki

Finally got around to finishing Tomb Raider which I thoroughly enjoyed. I wasn't a big Tomb Raider fan back during the Original PlayStation era so I can't really compare this game to those ones. I didn't get every little collectible but I did finish the main story.

Next up I think I will finally get around to playing Rise of the Tomb Raider.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

RR529

Katamari Damacy Reroll (Switch) - My first foray into this series in which you must roll up a ball to a certain size before time is up (though some levels have other objectives) by rolling up everything & anything from food, to people, to entire landmasses.

Pros:

• Despite now being a concept over a decade old at this point, I haven't seen anything else quite like it. It's novel, and pretty satisfying to end a level scooping up large buildings and the like with ease, after starting it being afraid of a cat, lol.
  • I really enjoy that it keeps a catalogue of everything you've ever rolled up, complete with a humorous blurb accompanying each one. I love little touches like that.
  • I'm not usually one to pay attention to music in games, but this one has some very upbeat and catchy tunes that play as you work your way through a level.
  • It has a unique sense of humour, and I found myself chuckling pretty often.

Cons:

• While I got used to them, I felt the controls were a tad clunky/unintuitive.
  • Unlike the rest of the music in the game, the soundtrack in the object gallery area gets a bit grating after awhile, plus there's no way to tell which objects gallery entries you've already viewed (new objects aren't marked as new, for example).

Overall it was a pretty fun time and am glad I gave it a go. Took me a few tries to clear that final level (where you have to make your Katamari 300M big), but once I did clear it I absolutely crushed it (made it over 800M big, which was really satisfying).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic