Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 1,481 to 1,500 of 1,602

jacobia

@RogerRoger Well, I was born in 1970, so I was 7 when ANH came out in 1977. And, as I’m sure you can imagine, I was just enraptured at that age: I will never, ever forget the ‘wow’ I got from the immersive opening scenes with the Star Destroyer chasing the Tantive IV. After TESB came out in 1980 my parents very kindly redecorated 2 of my bedroom walls with TESB wallpaper, plus they got me a TESB pillow and duvet cover set....you can imagine my joy!
I was 29 when TPM came out, and being an older SW fan......I totally love the prequels too, they had excellent world building (something missing from the sequel trilogy, I feel)! ROTS is my favourite from them, and rather than them being about the fall of Anakin, I see them more as the rise of the Emporer (an awesome character!!).
As for the sequel trilogy (so far), I liked TFA a lot, in spite of it’s rehash of ANH. TLJ...I appreciate it trying to deviate from the SW norms, and loved the whole Rey/Kylo stuff, but I’m really hoping that Ep. IX brings things back on track and expands more on Snoke, as well as the Knights Of Ren.
The Story movies: loved RO and enjoyed Solo. Never really watched enough of Clone Wars to get into it, and I’ve not watched any of Rebels. Have you played Bounty Hunter, back on the PS2/Xbox? Loved that game and it’s story, bridging TPM and AOTC. And on PS3/360, I loved both The Force Unleashed games. Oh yeah, special mention to Jedi Power Battles on PS1....good memories of playing that game with my son when he was 6.
And, to this day, I’ve still got most of my old toys from the original trilogy. All the figures, some vehicles and playsets. The figures, all still with their weapons, are all loose and stored inside old ice cream tubs. The vehicles and playsets are in their original boxes, but those boxes are in very poor condition.
John Williams is a genius, and his Duel Of The Fates is my favourite.

So, you didn’t say how you felt about TLJ? Did you watch your blu-ray in the end?

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

RogerRoger

@jacobia Wow, that's awesome! So you were the perfect age when it all started, similar to how I was the target audience for The Phantom Menace. I don't have to imagine your joy; I had my mind equally blown by things like the Boonta Eve Podrace and the Duel of the Fates (and yes, you're right, John Williams is a genius). For a good couple years, it felt like everything I owned had Darth Maul's face on it.

It's also awesome to meet a Star Wars fan who grew up with the original trilogy, yet also appreciates the prequels. You're absolutely right; the fall of Anakin frames the real story, about how a thousand-year democracy can be corrupted, about the arrogance of the Jedi and about the rise of Darth Sidious (Ian McDiarmuid is incredible). Thanks for challenging one of my preconceptions about Star Wars fans being generational. I always felt like the prequels only worked if you saw them at exactly the right age, and have leant heavily on my nostalgia to defend my perspectives on them before.

First time I watched The Last Jedi, I kinda hated it. I tried to be fair, but I reacted too strongly against the deliberately-divisive deconstructionism (try saying that three times) and it frustrated me. I then didn't watch it for a long time, but then recently gave it another shot, this time watching it with my partner, and we had a better time. I still disagree with some of the decisions made, most notably about how Luke's character was handled, but there's some interesting stuff in there as well, and you're right, the Rey / Kylo dynamic is pretty cool. I'm hoping for a more traditional Episode IX to wrap everything up, and we'll probably get it with JJ Abrams back behind the wheel, but that doesn't mean I'm against more risky Star Wars films in the future; I just don't think they should happen in the middle of a core trilogy.

If you can, watch The Clone Wars. Like the prequels, they start off a little goofy and kid-friendly but evolve and mature into some of the most fantastic Star Wars stories ever told. It was cancelled prematurely by Disney but they're bringing it back to give it a proper ending, and I'm so excited for that, moreso than anything else Star Wars at the moment.

You've also just named some of my all-time favourite Star Wars games (this is getting spooky!). Bounty Hunter is also a PS2 Classic on both the PS3 and PS4 and I don't mind admitting to therefore owning three copies total. Jedi Power Battles was my obsession for months, following on from The Phantom Menace PSone game, which is probably my top Star Wars pick. I also played a lot of Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II on the family PC back in the day. Brilliant stuff.

Even with the boxes in poor condition, you might be sitting on a goldmine with some of those original toys! Just out of random curiosity, have you ever gone on eBay and priced them up?

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life."
Cpt. Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate: 42923.4

Th3solution

@RogerRoger When you get a chance to watch Solo, I’ll be very curious to hear your take. Like most this Star Wars, it’s semi-divisive, depending on the preconceived expectations. I watched it again recently and quite liked it again. I still place it somewhere in the middle of the series as far as rank order, but for a SW film, that’s not too bad since they are all quite enjoyable.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

jacobia

@RogerRoger No, I’ve never got my old toys priced up. Thought about it several times as the years go by, but never took it any further. Both my parents have passed away, my mum in 2002, my dad in 2015. Now when my dad died, I received an unexpected sizeable inheritance, at a time when I was rubbing pennies together each month just to stay afloat. So I considered giving away all my SW toys to a children’s charity, with the view of them being able to auction the collection off. But i’ve chosen to keep them for my son to do with as he sees fit when I have died (and become one with the Force). The toys will be part of his inheritance.
Maybe he’ll see me as a Force Ghost 👻🙃

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

RogerRoger

@Th3solution There are a couple films that I've missed at the cinema this year; I'm trying to spread out my leisure spending and with so many awesome games every other week, I'll probably get to January and do a Blu-Ray binge at my local HMV. I'm saving Solo for then, I think, but I'll definitely report in once I've seen it.

@jacobia That's a real sweet thought, first to give them to charity and then to pass them along to your son. I'm sure he'll love them! Since I'm never having kids, I'll likely do the former with my hoardings of expensive nerd stuff someday.

"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life."

FullbringIchigo

@Th3solution @RogerRoger i liked Solo actually but i think like most other Star Wars movies since Episode 1 it got a lot of undue hate from the parts of the fan base that either Hate the Disney stuff because Lucas isn't doing it or can't accept any Star Wars other then the Original Trilogy and the old E.U (now called legends)

not that the Star Wares film are the bastions of Cinema they are made out to be, they are good, enjoyable films don't misunderstand me but lets be honest here the original trilogy have a LOT of issues, A New Hope being a simple White Knight saves the princess from the Black Knights castle fairy tale, just set in space and good god those stupid Ewoks in RotJ and all 3 films are full of cringey dialogue and wooden acting, at times the worse of the entire franchise

for an example people always bring up the "I hate sand" line from Episode 2 but forget lines like "I can bring him back, to the good side" from Episode 6

sorry i ranted a bit there, point is ALL of the films have issues but many fans are blind to the issues the OT has, probably because for a long time those 3 films were all there was and the built their entire life around them and NO new film was going to live up to the years of hype that was built up around the series

also The Special Editions make the OT BETTER,YEAH I SAID IT!

Jeremy Brett is still the DEFINITIVE Sherlock

"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make it's own judgments" - Zefram Cochran

"Hello there!" - Obi Wan Kenobi

it may be multiplatform now but Final Fantasy & PlayStation will always go hand in hand

jacobia

@RogerRoger I missed Solo at the cinema, so bought the blu-ray upon it’s release. It’s a perfectly enjoyable SW film with some great action scenes, and I think all the actors are perfectly serviceable in their respective roles. After watching it, I did kinda feel that the movie didn’t offer anything really noteworthy to the franchise, but it’s still a good, polished SW movie, and I’ll gladly watch it again. Possibly with the DL-44 in hand from my old toys......and I’ll defo shoot first 🤣

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

jacobia

@FullbringIchigo Indeed! The Last Jedi - the arced trajectory that the First Order’s torpedoes (?) take, because they’re out of range of the Resistance fleet, plus their ships falling behind and ‘sinking’ when they’ve run out of fuel. Some folks have rightly complained that those elements aren’t realistic because of space being a vacuum: nothing arcs or slows down because the objects would carry on until they hit an object etc... But, as with any sci-fi film where there’s action scenes in space with lasers, explosions, and spacecraft engines, realistically there should be zero sound from the action, because the sounds need a medium to travel through. So, all the ‘sacred’ SW films are just as guilty. Anyway, rant over, none of it bothers me because they’re just movies 🤪🤣

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

RogerRoger

@jacobia All of the faults with the "chase" from The Last Jedi you mentioned were additional facepalms after the Resistance bombs fell in space during the opening action sequence... but you're right, it's a movie, and it made for a halfway-decent bit of excitement. The only thing I'd change about the chase would be to make it go past a nebula or something; it was just dull to look at, in the middle of empty black space. And that's a cinematography gripe, not a physics gripe!

@FullbringIchigo You're very right; as long as I have a good time watching them, I'm not gonna analyse Star Wars too closely, because there's faults all over the place. I do agree with you that the Special Edition changes help the original trilogy (mostly; I even don't mind Vader's "Nooooo!" in Return of the Jedi, I just wished it was a fraction-of-a-second later so that it doesn't drown out Luke's final "Father!" yell). The approach to Mos Eisley in A New Hope and the final celebration montage in Return of the Jedi are absolutely incredible, and I'm personally dismayed whenever anybody says that the cringeworthy 'Yub Nub' is a better song than the beautiful new piece John Williams composed (although I tend to keep it to myself; each to their own and all that).

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger yeah i think overall they made them better and i even like Hayden showing up at the end of The Last Jedi although some kind of morphing sequence would have been nice like seeing the older Anakin change into the younger one

i also don't really care who shot first
Untitled

although not EVERYTHING was good, the whole scene with Jabba in A New Hope was really badly done and the whole "Jedi Rocks" sequence can go fall in a Sarlacc Pit

also and i am SO going to get it for this BUT force shields up
Untitled

THE PREQUELS ARE THE BEST MOVIES IN THE FRANCHISE!

oh i had best run after saying that
Untitled

now being serious i know many fans will not share my opinions about Star Wars but that doesn't mean the fanbase should be so damn hostile about the franchise, we are fans and it's OK to have different opinions and to NOT like every single thing in the franchise so lets all get along OK
Untitled

"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make it's own judgments" - Zefram Cochran

it may be multiplatform now but Final Fantasy & PlayStation will always go hand in hand

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo ...and your point about the diversity of opinions is proven 100% accurate, because whilst I agree with you about the prequels being the better trilogy, I completely disagree with you about Jedi Rocks, I think it's funky and way better than the original.

We must be the Chosen Ones. We've brought balance to the debate.

FullbringIchigo

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo ...balance and a whole lot of .gif images.

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger there is probably a Star Wars gif for everything

case in point, Vader on a Merry go Round
Untitled

Rudy_Manchego

Here is a question I have about the Prequels. In Episode III (spoilers), Obi Wan says he has the high ground and that implies that Anakin would be stupid to attack (which he does and thus choppy choppy, vader, noooooooo ensues).

BUT, in the Phantom Menace, Darth Maul has the high ground on Obi Wan but he leaps up, nabs his lightsaber and chops Mauly in half. It's one rule for the Sith and one rule for the Jedi.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

Twitter:

FullbringIchigo

@Rudy_Manchego i think the point is that the Sith become over confident in their abilities and leave themselves open when they believe they have the advantage in a fight, such as when Maul was showing off while Obi-Wan was hanging in the pit or when Anakin was "drunk" on his power so believed he was unbeatable and was then beaten because they let their guard down

RogerRoger

@Rudy_Manchego Ah, but who was the one constant between those two examples?

Don't try and kid a kidder. Obi-Wan knew how he beat Maul, so he also knew how to defend against the exact same attack when Anakin tried it on him.

And THAT'S character development in the prequels, right there!

Rudy_Manchego

@FullbringIchigo @RogerRoger You could both be right but still not convinced. That said, I still think Jar Jar is the real Sith Lord.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

https://jambags.co.uk

Twitter:

FullbringIchigo

@Rudy_Manchego
Untitled

also did you know in canon Binks became an outcast on Naboo due to his role in the rise of the Empire and By the time of the Battle of Jakku, Binks was a street performer in the capital city of Theed, where he was scorned by adults but beloved by the children who came to watch his antics.

kind of a sad end really, performing on the streets, outcast from your home and hated by most people

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic