Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 1,461 to 1,480 of 8,930

RogerRoger

@Th3solution There are a couple films that I've missed at the cinema this year; I'm trying to spread out my leisure spending and with so many awesome games every other week, I'll probably get to January and do a Blu-Ray binge at my local HMV. I'm saving Solo for then, I think, but I'll definitely report in once I've seen it.

@jacobia That's a real sweet thought, first to give them to charity and then to pass them along to your son. I'm sure he'll love them! Since I'm never having kids, I'll likely do the former with my hoardings of expensive nerd stuff someday.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@Th3solution @RogerRoger i liked Solo actually but i think like most other Star Wars movies since Episode 1 it got a lot of undue hate from the parts of the fan base that either Hate the Disney stuff because Lucas isn't doing it or can't accept any Star Wars other then the Original Trilogy and the old E.U (now called legends)

not that the Star Wares film are the bastions of Cinema they are made out to be, they are good, enjoyable films don't misunderstand me but lets be honest here the original trilogy have a LOT of issues, A New Hope being a simple White Knight saves the princess from the Black Knights castle fairy tale, just set in space and good god those stupid Ewoks in RotJ and all 3 films are full of cringey dialogue and wooden acting, at times the worse of the entire franchise

for an example people always bring up the "I hate sand" line from Episode 2 but forget lines like "I can bring him back, to the good side" from Episode 6

sorry i ranted a bit there, point is ALL of the films have issues but many fans are blind to the issues the OT has, probably because for a long time those 3 films were all there was and the built their entire life around them and NO new film was going to live up to the years of hype that was built up around the series

also The Special Editions make the OT BETTER,YEAH I SAID IT!

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

jacobia

@RogerRoger I missed Solo at the cinema, so bought the blu-ray upon it’s release. It’s a perfectly enjoyable SW film with some great action scenes, and I think all the actors are perfectly serviceable in their respective roles. After watching it, I did kinda feel that the movie didn’t offer anything really noteworthy to the franchise, but it’s still a good, polished SW movie, and I’ll gladly watch it again. Possibly with the DL-44 in hand from my old toys......and I’ll defo shoot first 🤣

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

jacobia

@FullbringIchigo Indeed! The Last Jedi - the arced trajectory that the First Order’s torpedoes (?) take, because they’re out of range of the Resistance fleet, plus their ships falling behind and ‘sinking’ when they’ve run out of fuel. Some folks have rightly complained that those elements aren’t realistic because of space being a vacuum: nothing arcs or slows down because the objects would carry on until they hit an object etc... But, as with any sci-fi film where there’s action scenes in space with lasers, explosions, and spacecraft engines, realistically there should be zero sound from the action, because the sounds need a medium to travel through. So, all the ‘sacred’ SW films are just as guilty. Anyway, rant over, none of it bothers me because they’re just movies 🤪🤣

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

RogerRoger

@jacobia All of the faults with the "chase" from The Last Jedi you mentioned were additional facepalms after the Resistance bombs fell in space during the opening action sequence... but you're right, it's a movie, and it made for a halfway-decent bit of excitement. The only thing I'd change about the chase would be to make it go past a nebula or something; it was just dull to look at, in the middle of empty black space. And that's a cinematography gripe, not a physics gripe!

@FullbringIchigo You're very right; as long as I have a good time watching them, I'm not gonna analyse Star Wars too closely, because there's faults all over the place. I do agree with you that the Special Edition changes help the original trilogy (mostly; I even don't mind Vader's "Nooooo!" in Return of the Jedi, I just wished it was a fraction-of-a-second later so that it doesn't drown out Luke's final "Father!" yell). The approach to Mos Eisley in A New Hope and the final celebration montage in Return of the Jedi are absolutely incredible, and I'm personally dismayed whenever anybody says that the cringeworthy 'Yub Nub' is a better song than the beautiful new piece John Williams composed (although I tend to keep it to myself; each to their own and all that).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger yeah i think overall they made them better and i even like Hayden showing up at the end of The Last Jedi although some kind of morphing sequence would have been nice like seeing the older Anakin change into the younger one

i also don't really care who shot first
Untitled

although not EVERYTHING was good, the whole scene with Jabba in A New Hope was really badly done and the whole "Jedi Rocks" sequence can go fall in a Sarlacc Pit

also and i am SO going to get it for this BUT force shields up
Untitled

THE PREQUELS ARE THE BEST MOVIES IN THE FRANCHISE!

oh i had best run after saying that
Untitled

now being serious i know many fans will not share my opinions about Star Wars but that doesn't mean the fanbase should be so damn hostile about the franchise, we are fans and it's OK to have different opinions and to NOT like every single thing in the franchise so lets all get along OK
Untitled

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo ...and your point about the diversity of opinions is proven 100% accurate, because whilst I agree with you about the prequels being the better trilogy, I completely disagree with you about Jedi Rocks, I think it's funky and way better than the original.

We must be the Chosen Ones. We've brought balance to the debate.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo ...balance and a whole lot of .gif images.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger there is probably a Star Wars gif for everything

case in point, Vader on a Merry go Round
Untitled

Rudy_Manchego

Here is a question I have about the Prequels. In Episode III (spoilers), Obi Wan says he has the high ground and that implies that Anakin would be stupid to attack (which he does and thus choppy choppy, vader, noooooooo ensues).

BUT, in the Phantom Menace, Darth Maul has the high ground on Obi Wan but he leaps up, nabs his lightsaber and chops Mauly in half. It's one rule for the Sith and one rule for the Jedi.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

FullbringIchigo

@Rudy_Manchego i think the point is that the Sith become over confident in their abilities and leave themselves open when they believe they have the advantage in a fight, such as when Maul was showing off while Obi-Wan was hanging in the pit or when Anakin was "drunk" on his power so believed he was unbeatable and was then beaten because they let their guard down

RogerRoger

@Rudy_Manchego Ah, but who was the one constant between those two examples?

Don't try and kid a kidder. Obi-Wan knew how he beat Maul, so he also knew how to defend against the exact same attack when Anakin tried it on him.

And THAT'S character development in the prequels, right there!

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@Rudy_Manchego
Untitled

also did you know in canon Binks became an outcast on Naboo due to his role in the rise of the Empire and By the time of the Battle of Jakku, Binks was a street performer in the capital city of Theed, where he was scorned by adults but beloved by the children who came to watch his antics.

kind of a sad end really, performing on the streets, outcast from your home and hated by most people

FullbringIchigo

@Rudy_Manchego he wasn't that bad of a character and to be honest the fans took it too far, Ahmed Best the person who played him got so depressed over that hatred he was getting he even considered suicide

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44708983

Ralizah

FullbringIchigo wrote:

kind of a sad end really, performing on the streets, outcast from your home and hated by most people

I mean, what's new?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

jacobia

@FullbringIchigo Jeez, I didn’t realise it got that bad! That kind of vitriol is mind numbingly disgusting and abhorrent. I’m not claiming to be a saint, but how can somebody be so vile? I mean, sure, hate the character, but not the actor, for goodness sake....it’s just a made up figment of someone’s imagination. Although, as nasty as that all is, I guess it could be argued that the actor playing the character has taken the unpleasant attitude of others to heart because they too haven’t separated their role from themselves. Every coin has 2 sides, I suppose 🤷🏻‍♂️

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

RogerRoger

I love Jar-Jar. I mean, this is coming from me, so I guess it's not super-surprising, but I've always thought he was a harmless goofball with a good (if simple) heart, and I can't hate anybody for that.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic