Forums

Topic: The Movie Thread

Posts 1,501 to 1,520 of 8,903

Rogerthat

Speaking of " Especially with the fact that the PS4 has Netflix"

@Kyroki You got some taste in the movies, mate.

Rogerthat

Rogerthat

Tasuki wrote:

Any movie lovers out there? I don't know about you guys but besides video games one of my biggest down time things to do is watch movies. Especially with the fact that the PS4 has Netflix, Crackle, and plays DVDs/Blu rays. I figure this could be a great idea for a thread where we can share a discussion on movies. What we have seen recently what we are looking forward to, what we thought of the movie etc.

So I will start. I recently watched Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters on Netflix stream and I have to say I did enjoy it. It did seem kinda short but they did leave the ending open for another one. Still if you like action, horror, steampunk type of stuff you will like this one I think.

So anyone else see anything lately?

Speaking of "Especially with the fact that the PS4 has Netflix"
There's a good VPN for Playstation console, and this, PureVPN for Ps4

Rogerthat

jacobia

Don’t know much about much, or VPN’s, but I thought this should be added: https://thebestvpn.com/reviews/purevpn/
On topic, I missed Hereditary at the cinema but bought it the other day on blu-ray. Once I’ve watched it, and if it makes a great impression on me, I’ll probably post my thoughts on it.

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

PSN: jacobia

WanderingBullet

Wonder Woman 1984 has been pushed back seven months to 2020.

Wow, there's also a Terminator 6 movie which I didn't know about till today. Just like the Predator, I really wished they would stop milking this franchise. The first two Terminator movies were great (especially Terminator 2) and then it went all downhill after that.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

JohnnyShoulder

@WanderingBullet The same with Alien films. The first two are awesome, and although I didn't hate the last two as some people, I'm getting a bit fed up of how average they are.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

Alien 3 was a decent movie. Not up to the standards of the first two, though.

WanderingBullet wrote:

The first two Terminator 6 movies were great (especially Terminator 2) and then it went all downhill after that.

In fairness, that's probably what happens when you make multiple Terminator 6 movies.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Tjuz

I'm planning to see A Simple Favor on Saturday. It stars Anna Kendrick, who I've enjoyed in the Pitch Perfect movies, and is directed by Paul Feig, who also directed the fantastic Spy. Trailer seemed like it's got a promising mystery, and it's been getting great reviews. Hope it's as good as I'm expecting it to be! Anyone who has seen the movie here and would like to share their experience?

Tjuz

KALofKRYPTON

@Tjuz Honestly - I'd rather put piins in my eyes than watch another Paul Feig film.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Tjuz

@KALofKRYPTON Really? I've only seen Spy and I thought that was a very enjoyable movie. I'm guessing you had a very different experience with the film, or possibly some of his other movies. Care to elaborate?

Tjuz

KALofKRYPTON

@Tjuz firstly, I really can't stand Melissa McCarthy, so that doesn't help.

For Spy specifically, there was only one joke that brought out a real laugh - something between her and Statham about hitting him I think. The rest of it was just, there.

Then we get to Ghistbusters, which is an awful film on many levels. In fairness, I wanted to hate it just for the fact of the shameless cash in it represents - and it did quite literally nothing to make me think otherwise. It was base, boring, intellectually deficient, the story was awful, not a single moment manages to be witty, scary, clever or satirical.

I did delve into as much of the behind the scenes stuff as I could and found out exactly why. Fieg is essentially a con artist.
The script as written apparently wasn't that great to start with, but rather than actually help craft a performance or story - Fieg just rolls hours of film getting actors to ad-lib until he thinks something is funny.

He's also a bit of a coward, several times he's quite open about having no idea how to make a Ghostbusters sequel, so it became what it is.

I'm all for a 'check your brain at the door' comedy romp, but only if it's actually funny.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Tjuz

@KALofKRYPTON Fair enough. I do enjoy Melissa McCarthy in the places I've seen her, although that's not all that many. I haven't seen Ghostbusters, so I can't debate with you on that one.

I did end up watching A Simple Favor, and it was actually a really good movie. It went far beyond the comedy aspects you'd expect and delivered an often thrilling mystery too. Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively both steal the show, but it really is Kendrick's movie. The soundtrack and costume design throughout the movie is worthy of some recognition too, particularly Lively's wardrobe. Feig and his cast managed to elevate an already great script to one of the best movies I've seen this year, which to be fair, only puts it at 2/9 (behind A Star is Born). It does have some faults with the movie dragging at certain points or twists being revealed in too fast a fashion to really catch on, but both of these end up being fairly inconsequential when looking at the movie as a whole. It was a great mix of the comedy and thriller genres, and I'm looking forward to what Feig/Kendrick/Lively cook up next. Definitely worth a watch if you're at all interested.

Tjuz

RR529

Just finished watching A Nightmare on Elm Street for my Halloween night movie. The original one, and it's the first time I've watched it.

I really didn't find it scary (even watched it alone with the lights off, lol), but I still enjoyed watching it. It had an interesting premise, and I'll admit to being surprised by the ending (I generally like going back and watching 80's movies too, so that probably helped as well).

Also watched Deadpool 2 recently which was pretty good.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

Just finished rewatching Halloween II (the 1981 film, not the Rob Zombie... thing). Even as one of the superior Halloween sequels, it's still startling how inferior it is to the original. Granted, the original is a masterpiece and makes almost every other slasher look bad in comparison, but it really is a formless, plodding experience. If nothing else, at least it tries to re-create the sense of tension and build-up from the original (and mostly fails). It also has a poor soundtrack: it ruins pretty much every track it remixes. It does, at least, demonstrate how central the spare synth music was to the original, as the scenes it recreates from the end of the first film are scored with the new music, and it's... not nearly as compelling.

I don't think anything will disabuse me of the view that H20 is the best Halloween sequel ever made at this point.

Also watched Halloween III for the first time recently. It, quite famously, has nothing to do with the original Halloween mythos, opting instead for some weird science-horror fable about ancient occult rituals, Celtic mysticism, and halloween masks. It's weird, and the music is kind of annoying in spots, but I thought it was fun. Not much of a horror movie, though.

@RR529 A Nightmare on Elm Street is one of my all-time favorite films. I've watched it pretty religiously on home video since I was a small child (apparently my parents taught me how to use the VCR because I kept wanting to re-watch it). It's pretty cheesy in spots, but the premise is still fundamentally creepy, and the film is chock full of surrealistic imagery.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

jacobia

@beemo Awesome! I’ve yet to watch Ant-Man And The Wasp, but I loved the first one (I reckon it’s my favourite of the MCU), so I’m sure I’ll love the sequel too.

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

Tjuz

@beemo After having just replied to you in the TV Show thread, it seems like our opinions are the polar opposite in general (regarding Ant-Man being the best movie in the MCU)! Well, at least it's not the worst I've seen. That honor goes to Thor: The Dark World.

Tjuz

jacobia

Has anyone here seen the new Suspiria movie yet? It’s on in selected cinemas across the UK on November 16th. I am sooo looking forward to seeing it!

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

jacobia

I watched a Turkish horror film called ’Siccîn’ on YouTube earlier. It’s got English subtitles, is quite creepy in parts, and was intriguing to experience a horror story based in the Islamic faith and traditions. Also, there’s a part 2, 3, 4 and 5, which I think are also on YouTube.
Anyhoo, for anyone interested, here’s a link to the one I watched - https://youtu.be/6cWzdz1xcUM

Edited on by jacobia

It isn’t a dream
You only heard yourself
The means of your life
Create and melt

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic