Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 401 to 420 of 2,292

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger needless to say it has potential, i'm just worried they may be doing to much, Discovery, Picard, a Starfleet Academy series, an animated series and now this, just look what happened to Star Wars when they was putting out too much, it crashed and burned and the same could happen here

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Well, they're all at various stages of production. As long as there aren't more than two running at any given time, they'll be alright. Don't launch the Section 31 show until Discovery is over, don't start playing the Starfleet Academy series until we've seen Picard through. I'd let the cartoon sit in the middle somewhere, maybe, because it's a cartoon and an out-and-out comedy cartoon at that.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger thing is with the Section 31 series they are already planing cross over episodes with Discovery so it HAS to launch while Discovery is still on the air

it's not like CBS can't have a big universe going at once after all you have NCIS, NCIS:LA, NCIS:NO, Hawaii Five-0, MacGyver and Magnum P.I going at the same time and they are ALL in the same T.V Universe so they do know how to do it

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

Honestly - that Kurtzman interview...
So many articles citing 'mistakes' and 'franchise fatigue' referring to DS9 and Voyager based on it. Properly doing my head in!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Welcome to "reasons not to engage with online fandom".

Except here, of course. PushSquare is cool.

@Fullbringlchigo Oh, I didn't know that they were planning crossovers with Discovery and Section 31. That makes sense, given where Michelle Yeoh is coming from. You're right, it could be done; I just hope audiences have the stomach for it, and being on streaming makes it difficult to keep track of ratings. We'll have to take the overlords' word for it when they move them around / renew / cancel them.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger If it was fandom I wouldn't mind so much. When it's entertainment sites regurgitating that horrible interview as 'Star Trek in the 90's was bad, Kurtzman is here to save it' nonsense, it properly grinds my gears!

Regarding Section 31 - I'd expect it to keep running while they decide whether Discovery is worth reformatting even further to avoid financial fallout once they lose the plagiarism case.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah in my opinion franchise fatigue didn't set in until about season 2 of Enterprise, when they started to recycle old TOS and TNG plots although i still REALLY like Regeneration even if it was an out of place Borg episode

but no way is Kurtzman the "Saviour of Trek" but it's not like he can't do some good things, he has before in the past with other shows he made but Discovery much like this interview is full of CBS interference

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo He's been behind some right dross!

I think they played it a little too safe with the early parts of Enterprise. The leap in Episode quality and fewer recycled plots later on made it a pretty great show.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON oh he has been hit and miss to be sure but i do think he does have the ability to do it but not by himself, look at the things he was involved in that was a success, he was always working with someone else

as for Enterprise i still really like that show but yeah during seasons 3 and 4 it really came into it's own, just a shame the CBS/Paramount split ended it as it was getting it's footing

FullbringIchigo

on this day in 1995 Star Trek Voyager has it debut in the U.S (i believe the UK air date was September 1996)
Untitled

did you watch it's debut? either the 95 U.S or 96 UK) how do you feel about the pilot 24/23 years later, does it still hold up, did it EVER hold up

and also what are some of you favourite moments from Voyager (any episode) personally i love Message in a Bottle

EMH: "Stop breathing down my neck"
EMHMk2: "My breathing is merely a simulation"
EMH: "So is my neck stop it anyway"
Untitled

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo God, that makes me feel old.

I remember BBC Two scheduling "Caretaker" (VGR) for a Sunday night and on Sundays as a kid I was regularly busy. I tried so hard to convince my Mum that I was sick and had to stay home, just so that I could watch it. The plan failed and she refused to tape it for me, or any subsequent episodes. For a year, all I had was the memory of the trailer.

Then about a year later, my Dad, brother and I would rent the VHS tapes of Season One from our local library every time we got together. Good times.

Funnily enough, though, the strongest memory I have of Voyager was the time I broke my wrist on a school trip to Poole in Dorset. I'd been in a strange hospital with a teacher I didn't like for a day, whilst my Mum came rushing down to approve surgery. The teacher had said "no television" (told you I didn't like them) and then as soon as my Mum arrived, because she'd called ahead, I was in and put under general anaesthetic. When I came out, woke up and ate something, the television was finally turned on and whilst flicking through, a shot of the USS Voyager gracefully folding up her warp nacelles and jumping to warp popped up.

"Oh, awesome," I quickly said, suddenly feeling a whole lot better, "leave this on, please!"

And then the credits rolled. D'oh!

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i was lucky as my parents are Trek fans so if i wasn't in they would record it for me, i had one tape and it was used so much that it became pretty much useless

i do have a load of Voyager on VHS still though (proper retail releases)

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I do remember! Though not the specific year really - BBC 2 had Star Trek.
I really liked, and still like Caretaker. I even found myself missing the Kazon in latter seasons.

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Oh, my parents would record it for me normally. I think it was because I was caught in the lie of trying to stay home, so the punishment was "no Voyager for you".

Yeah, those double-episode VHS tapes were great. I remember thinking the artwork on the boxes were awesome whenever we rented them from the library; now I look back and can see that it's the same three stock shots of Voyager pasted over different swirly backgrounds but, as a kid, stuff like that was the gateway to my imagination.

@KALofKRYPTON Absolutely agree; say what you will about Voyager, but "Caretaker" (VGR) is one heck of a TV movie. It has an edge and an energy that even I'll admit they lost at times.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger 'lost'/wrote out on purpose. It's a shame they almost fully shied away from the wealth of mileage that they could have gotten out of the natural internal conflict aboard Voyager. The episodes where they do touch more on it are usually pretty good.

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON I did write "say what you will about Voyager" so I brought that on myself. It's not what I was referring to, though; I actually think that all the individual character conflicts and the overall "Starfleet vs. Maquis" dynamic were either resolved by the events of "Caretaker" or fully addressed within the first two seasons. They got it out of their systems, tried things differently, it never worked, move on. There didn't need to be anything more, because then it wouldn't have been Star Trek.

I just meant that the writing, pacing and presentation of "Caretaker" (much like "Broken Bow" (ENT) seven years later) elevates it head-and-shoulders above many other episodes.

Which it should do. They went wildly over-budget.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger You did =D

It was a production decision as I recall. DSY wasn't performing well enough and whatever (like, 10?) people they did focus research with 'didn't like' the level of interpersonal conflict on DS9 so abandoned plans to make Voyager a markedly more tense environment than it ended up being. I don't know why I'm typing all of this, as if you of all people don't already know...

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger hey at least the didn't go so over budget that they effed up the remainder of the season (looking at YOU Berg and Harberts)

FullbringIchigo

i don't know if you interested @RogerRoger or @KALofKRYPTON BUT

‘Star Trek: Short Treks’ Now Available On Netflix Internationally
Untitled

Back in October when the Star Trek: Discovery spinoff series Star Trek: Short Treks premiered, it was only available in the USA and Canada. Today that changed.

Netflix adds Short Treks

When Star Trek: Short Treks first premiered in October, it was speculated that Netflix would eventually pick it up after the first season wrapped up in January, which fits more in line with their preference for bingable content. And that appears to be what has happened. Now all four episodes are available outside of North America on Netflix. The release of Short Treks was timed to come the day before the Friday release of the second season of Star Trek: Discovery on Netflix. Discovery’s second season premieres tonight in the USA and Canada.

You can access the four episodes of Short Treks in Netflix under Star Trek: Discovery, where they are listed under as “Trailers & More.”

Untitled

Short Treks being available on Netflix outside of North America has been reported by fans across the world on social media and Reddit. Short Treks remains available in the USA on CBS All Access. In Canada, Space subscribers can see Short Treks on the Space GO app, in addition to being available on Space.ca and participating On Demand channels.

Catching up on Short Treks
To catch up international fans, Short Treks is a series of mini-episodes set in and around the universe established in Star Trek: Discovery. Each episode is around 15 minutes long and tells a standalone story, but some have links to the second season of Discovery. However, at least for the second season premiere of Discovery, you shouldn’t feel you need to watch all four Short Treks to keep up on Discovery.

The four episodes are:

“Runaway”
Written by Jenny Lumet & Alex Kurtzman. Directed by Maja Vrvilo.

On board the U.S.S. Discovery, Ensign Tilly (Mary Wiseman) encounters an unexpected visitor in need of help. This unlikely pair may have more in common than meets the eye.
Untitled

(on a side note i watched this one already on Dailymotion and it wasn't very good)

“Calypso”
Teleplay by Michael Chabon, story by Sean Cochran and Michael Chabon. Directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi.

After waking up in an unfamiliar sickbay, Craft (Aldis Hodge) finds himself on board a deserted ship, and his only companion and hope for survival is an A.I. computer interface.

Untitled

“The Brightest Star”
Written by Bo Yeon Kim & Erika Lippoldt. Directed by Douglas Aarniokoski.

Before he was the first Kelpien to join Starfleet, Saru (Doug Jones) lived a simple life on his home planet of Kaminar with his father and sister. Young Saru, full of ingenuity and a level of curiosity uncommon among his people, yearns to find out what lies beyond his village, leading him down an unexpected path
Untitled

“The Escape Artist”
Written by Michael McMahan. Directed by Rainn Wilson

Harry Mudd (Rainn Wilson), back to his old tricks of stealing and double-dealing, finds himself in a precarious position aboard a hostile ship – just in time to try out his latest con.
Untitled

SO will you be watching the Short Treks or will you be passing on them

Original Article: https://trekmovie.com/2019/01/17/star-trek-short-treks-now-av...

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Ah, cool.
They never really peaked my interest enough to try and watch them through other channels - but if they're just, y'know, there...

Rainn Wilson's unexpectedly brilliant Harry Mudd is certainly worth another watch.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic