Forums

Topic: Euro 2016 Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 125

Kidfried

Great game last night! It became clear too early in the game that France would win, but both teams put up a good fight anyway. Very anticipated for Germany - France, the two best European soccer teams.

Kidfried

get2sammyb

Do we think Wales are going to do it, then? Portugal have been incredibly poor in this tournament IMO, but they seem to keep scraping through.

Ramsey will be a huge miss for Wales, but I think they've got a shot at getting to the final, I really do. Portugal must be exhausted after two 120 minute matches.

Speedy67

@get2sammyb Wales can do it, but who can say if they will or not. Portugal did play very well against Poland, really. That Renato Sanchez is seriously good. Wales will really miss Ramsey but yes, I think they can edge it. Allen is perfectly good enough to replace Ramsey in that position, and Bale can make something from nothing.

We all know the world needs Kentucky Fried Duck.
My website: https://stuffandthatreviews.wordpress.com/

PSN: Skymister01 | Twitter:

ShadowofSparta

@get2sammyb: The way I see it, Portugal have got by without playing near their best. IF they ever decide to start, it'll be tough to call. Tactically, although Portugal are a bit muddled at times, they're not bad. Wales though have been one of the strongest teams tactically throughout the tournament. They have a chance to beat Portugal. However, they can replace Ramsey's work rate off the ball (e.g. shifting to cover wingbacks) but the timing of his runs and his quality on the ball will be a huge miss. I think Portugal, with players playing to their level, would win it. If Santos got some guts and played both Sanches and the awesome Andre Gomes, they'd be stacked with players who can create moments of magic. Still, this has been a tournament of tactics so I can't count out Wales. They've been amazing

Sapere Aude

PSN: k-mysta | Twitter:

Wesker

@Speedy67: Ramsey is a key player for Arsenal. Allen is a fringe player for Liverpool. Wouldn't exactly say they're so easily comparable.

Wesker

Kidfried

Of course I hope Wales will be able to put through, but I hate to say I doubt it. I think Ramsey was an integral part of what made the team as a whole work so well. And while Portugal might not have convinced yet during the Euro '16, they haven't lost a game either. And as long as you don't lose... you'll win.

That's not to say that I count out Wales, they just have to beat the odds.

Kidfried

usb

Suddenly everyman and his dog has some kind of connection to Wales. Its nice to have a British team still in the cup but if it was England how many welsh people would be supporting england to win? I doubt it would be very many. I think they stand a good chance tonight Portugal have not exactly been free scoring and Wales are solid in defence. Get Ronaldo frustrated an dits a winnable game.

usb

PSN: noodledreamz

themcnoisy

@dryrain: Thats because Welsh football is also English football, our English league is split between England and Wales for instance where as Scotland have that pants Celtic only league north of the Border. So yes I am supporting Wales as I used to watch Fireman Sam, love throwing random double Ls everywhere and used to love going to Rhyl suncentre! Come on you LLwelsh LLDragllllonllls.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Victor_Meldrew

I hope Wales get destroyed to dust, their celebration to England being knocked out was vile. I would otherwise have wished them well.

Victor_Meldrew

ApostateMage

Ramsey was sorely missed but much props for Coleman and his boys and, of course, Joe Ledley's mighty beard.

ApostateMage

BAMozzy

@get2sammyb: France do seem to do well on home soil and Germany are without Khedira, Hummels (suspended) and Gomez. I know Germany struggled against Italy but Italy are a 'bogey' team (first time Germany have beaten Italy in a tournament) and seem to set up more to stifle than to win. Pogba seems to be about to move back to the EPL with a £100m, £300k a week deal - whether this has any impact on his performance tonight, who knows... Some others, like Newcastles Sissoko are also playing for paydays.

I am not overly bothered who wins in truth, I guess I would prefer Germany because I don't have any French players in my favourite Club side - a lot of German links and at least 1 player (at the moment) - not that they have featured much. Regardless though, I will be routing for the winner of this match to win the Tournament. If France do get through, I will be routing for them after the terrorist attacks they have endured...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

ShadowofSparta

My big worry with Germany is our lack of an intense pressing and counter-pressing scheme. We kinda got it going against Italy but we cannot allow France to build up play. Their centre-backs are not as good on the ball as Italy but if Pogba (who I love) is playing deep and we don't press him, we'll be in trouble. If France hit diagonals to isolate Kimmich and Payet, we'll be in serious trouble. I think we have the tactical flexibility to get it right but we've been so slow to get any scheme going this tournament. With home advantage and players out to impress, all the signs point to France, unfortunately. I also don't fully trust Basti over 90 mins (though he did alright against Italy apart from a few oddities). I would love to see Weigl get a game. We can shift to 4-3-3 and push Kroos just a little higher

Edited on by ShadowofSparta

Sapere Aude

ShadowofSparta

I'm crushed. We played so well. Just couldn't score. Proud though. May have to take Selke next time. I have a feeling this tournament is set for an upset. Stage set for Ronaldo to upset millions of French fans and add some International gloss to his career. Well done though France

Sapere Aude

Victor_Meldrew

Good luck to Big Ron, hope France are crushed. Still not forgiven for the Henry handball.

Victor_Meldrew

themcnoisy

@ShadowofSparta: You did play well, you needed to score in that 30 minute period in the first half you dominated.

But as they say. That's football.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.