Forums

Topic: What PS4 Games Are You Currently Playing?

Posts 381 to 400 of 6,461

NecuVise

@RogerRoger I dodged me3 controversy too and I played that game only after they patched the ending.

@ApostateMage I would snap it if I didn't have several other 30+ hours games to play, but I'll look into it eventually. I also buy my games on disc so psn sales don't really matter to me.

NecuVise

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger @ApostateMage Cheers, it has moved up slightly on my list. I have other issues with the series which is preventing it from being a must buy, but I am more inclined to give it a go. Might even try the demo. Like @NecuVise and @Th3solution I have loads in my backlog so not sure when I get to it.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

KidRyan

Ralizah wrote:

The lack of TV time makes it hard for me to get through long home console-only games. Persona 5 took me five months or so to beat.

It's one of the big reasons I prefer portable systems.

Portable systems sure are nice, I'm actually tempted to buy a Vita just so I can play thru my digital PS1/PS2/PSP backlog.

Also so I can play Persona 4 Golden, since I doubt we'll ever see a PS4 remaster at this point...

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

JJ-firl

Started The Sexy Brutale. Loving the atmosphere and the unique gameplay.

pastel days & neon nights

PSN: JJ-firl

RogerRoger

So last night, fresh from the trailer for the upcoming sequel, I booted up Hitman and decided to clean up a couple trophies I'd left hanging around.

It was the first time I'd been back in a while, and IO had made a few big changes (the menu is now white!) but I easily slipped back into the famous suit and set about specific takedowns in Colorado. I really got into it, and moved on to Hokkaido and then the Landslide DLC's tweaked version of Sapienza for one last trophy. After a very long (but very cool) set-up with plenty of waiting and blending in, a message popped up and paused my game.

"Unable to connect to the Hitman servers. Do you wish to retry?"

Hmm... my internet is stable, for once. I'm still signed in on PSN. Sure, okay. I don't even know why I'm playing online anyway. I only did it because you recommended I do so on the main menu. It's not like I'm taking part in any leaderboard challenges or elusive contracts or anything else I'd imagine needing the internet, but if you say so.

"Still unable to connect to the Hitman servers. You can keep trying to re-connect, or you can quit to the main menu and start again in Offline Mode."

I'm not quitting and starting again! I've been standing here, dressed as a priest, pretending to read this Bible for ten minutes now! I'll try to re-connect, thank you ver... oh. You've frozen on me. Great. I guess I'll shut it all down, come back in offline and set all this up again. You're lucky I like faint choral music and funny black hats.

Except that, upon booting up the game once more, I find that every single element of the game, including all kinds of Challenges, equipment unlocks and even save files, is dependant on establishing a connection with the Hitman servers. The trophy I was trying to get (like all the other trophies in the game) only pops when you complete certain Challenges and your save syncs with the server. I checked Down Detector and, sure enough, the Hitman servers were down across the world. For three hours.

No amount of faint choral music could make me wait around for that long, especially when there is absolutely no reason to store player progression stats away from your own console (heck, games have been managing that for decades).

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why "always online" single-player games are rubbish.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

WanderingBullet

Still playing MHW. Looking forward to the FFXIV Behemoth event!

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

Kidfried

@RogerRoger Painful, just when I was about to get back into this game again too.

Kidfried

Lovespuds

Dark Souls bites the dust again, that's four playthroughs for me now, two on PS3, once on PC and now on PS4. I have to say, the remaster is definitely the best way to play it, the fame ran so smoothly and looked really sharp.

Beat that sucker Gwyn on my 1st try, I have his timing down to a fine art, parried every attack, it is so satisfying to play.

Lovespuds

Ralizah

@RogerRoger Yeah, as good as the recent Hitman game looked, the always-online thing kills it for me. I understand if it's an MMO or something, but a single-player game should ALWAYS be playable offline.

Heck, even games with heavy online integration like Bloodborne can be played offline!

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah You can play those games in offline mode but if your connection goes whilst playing the game, you will be kicked out to the main menu. It's happened to me a few times player Dark Souls Remastered. Luckily the game auto saves regularly and I've not lost any progress.

I've heard that from a few people who've played Hitman. Sounds like a bummer. Hopefully it is something IO will look to improve on for the sequel.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Ralizah

@JohnnyShoulder I've played Bloodborne while my internet was down in offline mode, so it definitely doesn't require an active connection. The whole point of offline mode is so that the game doesn't kick you if you have an unstable connection, yes?

JohnnyShoulder

@Ralizah I probably didn't explain that very well. When playing on online mode and your internet goes down, you will be kicked out to the main menu.

Does Hitman not have an offline option then? That is pretty naff for a game this is not multiplayer focused.

Ralizah

@JohnnyShoulder My understanding is that, while there is an offline mode, it locks off a large amount of the game's content in the process. Which seems to have been RogerRoger's experience.

Edited on by Ralizah

KALofKRYPTON

Currently alternating Doom and Raiden V.

Really like the Doom multiplayer, so using it as a trophy cow for the DoP comp' is out. Raiden will do for that for a while.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Th3solution

@Ralizah @JohnnyShoulder @RogerRoger Offline mode was a godsend in Bloodborne for those areas with the annoying Sinister Bell ringing chick. I couldn’t make progress in the Nightmare Frontier without getting invaded so I just quit and restarted offline.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ralizah

@Th3solution Oh god, invasions are the worst thing ever. I'll never understand why anyone thought it was a good idea in these games to let other players waltz in and kill you.

RogerRoger

@Kidfried @Ralizah @JohnnyShoulder @Th3solution Just to clarify, Hitman does have an offline mode, but it only allows for the core gameplay experience. Everything tied to progression, including your Mastery Level, unlockable new starting locations, weapons, items, outfits, opportunities and challenges, is stored on the Hitman servers away from your console. As such, if you're halfway through a level and you lose connection, it boots you back out to the main menu because it can't continue tracking your progress. If you attempt to load a save from an online game whilst offline, it says the save is "incompatible" because it contains tracking data for all those things stored on the server, which it can't reach.

In other words, you can be the greatest, most silent of assassins but you don't get anything for it unless you're connected. If you do manage to unlock new weapons, items and starting locations whilst online, and then choose to play offline, it seems to let you keep them, but I didn't fully test this. Aside from minor, random drop-outs like every other web-based service, a bit of digging reveals that Hitman suffers from these longer server failures every three or four months. They last between three and six hours, on average. This one just happened to hit on the day I decided to pick it back up again.

My usual luck, then.

The servers for Star Wars: Battlefront II are pretty stable at the moment, which is good because yesterday's update is a decent one. Extraction is back from the previous game's Outer Rim DLC, this time in both Jabba's Palace and a map based on Solo. There's also Jetpack Cargo, which is essentially a game of capture the flag where everybody's got a jetpack and a missile launcher. To call it "frantic eye-bleeding mayhem" would be an understatement. It's totally random, bonkers nonsense and more of what this game needs.

Word of warning, though; gone are the days of making everything available to everybody. The new Millenium Falcon hero vessel costs 35,000 in-game credits to unlock, whilst the new hero skins are 80,000 credits a throw. Nuts to that. I'm saving for when they inevitably charge double for Obi-Wan Kenobi and General Grievous.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Bonbonetti

Started playing God of War (2018) a couple of days ago. While I'm impressed by lots of things in the game, the combat has a serious issue that really bothers me.

I feel the combat relies far too much on parrying. In games like Bloodborne and Dark Souls the parrying element is more of a fun "extra" thing to do, it's not a necessity to win the battle. In God of War however, you can't win a large number of the battles if you are not great at parrying.

I don't enjoy parrying mechanics in general, they feel exactly like quick-time events to me, and I'm getting quite annoyed with it in God of War. To be honest I definitely prefer the combat in the earlier God of War games. I will probably continue playing the game, because everything else is awesome, but I am disappointed. It's not a 10/10 game for me, so far at least.

Edited on by Bonbonetti

Bonbonetti

JohnnyShoulder

@Bonbonetti Nah the combat has plenty to offer than just relying on parrying. That is one of things that i had my reservations that the combat might get a bit shallow. But the amount of varied moves you can unlock shouldn't mean you have to to rely on one tactic all of the time.

Bonbonetti

@JohnnyShoulder So it becomes less reliant on parrying further in? That's good to hear, and it makes more sense that they would allow you to personalize the combat to your own style.

Edited on by Bonbonetti

Bonbonetti

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic