5. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Octane

NecuVise

Bloodborne
Horizon Zero Dawn
Ratchet and Clank
Uncharted 4
The Last of Us if that's allowed, if not then gow

I'm expecting Spider-Man to easily take this last spot when it comes out.

I haven't played neither Persona nor any Yakuza games and I still have to play housemarquee games so maybe they grab a spot there.

NecuVise

Shellcore

I feel like I need to play more exclusives. My list below doesn't seem right to me, but these are the ones I have played so...

1. (Not Committed to this yet)
2. Infamous: Second Son
3. Ratchet and Clank
4. GT Sport
5. Order 1866

I guess, for me, this is a testament to the quality of the third party output this gen. My last three games played have been Deus Ex (PS+), Monster Hunter World and Ni No Kuni 2!

PSN: Aleks-UK

Fight_Teza_Fight

Don’t have to separate my list. My favourite games on PS4 happen to be exclusive/console exclusive.
This might change though once KH3 (which should be exclusive) drops.

Fight_Teza_Fight wrote:

1) Uncharted 4
2) Bloodborne
3) Persona 5
4) Horizon Zero Dawn
5) Nioh

I’m still playing God of War. Definitely top 5 material, just not sure where I would place it... . Thinking it might boot out Horizon which would shake up my list as I really love Nioh (best end game ever). Nioh is probably my favourite ‘game’, but the narrative really drags it down. It’s something the expansion addresses, but it still it’s weak point.

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Fight_Teza_Fight

@KratosMD Yeah I know. It really should be though .
I was referring to my general top 5, which happens to be the same as this ‘exclusive’ one at this time.

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?
If Kingdom Hearts 3 releases on XB1 and no one buys it, does it really matter?

Hyperbole of course 😂.
Crazy that the collections never came to XB1. I think KH1 & 2 must have some sort of PlayStation exclusivity. Otherwise that’s just crazy.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Gremio108

Bloodborne
The Last Guardian
Uncharted 4
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Shadow Of The Colossus

I gave the last spot to Colossus because it offers more of a leap over the original, but The Last Of Us Remastered could just as easily be in this list. This has made me realise how few exclusives I've played. I've not played Nier Automata, Horizon or God Of War. What am I doing, I really need to sort that out.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

BAMozzy

I always think that a 'top 5' PS4 (or any 'console') games should only be 'exclusives'. Games like the Witcher 3 for example are available to play on PC and Xbox too and may actually be 'better' on other platforms. Whilst they maybe playable on PS4 (or XB1) they may not always be the 'best' place to play those games. In the past 4yrs (up until Nov 2017), chances are that the PS4 was the best 'console' version - not just in terms of visual quality but also performance - but at the end of the day, are you necessarily going to buy a PS4 (or XB1X now) to play these games if you can play them on the console you have? To me, I would have a 'top 5' PS4 games and a top 5 games of the generation.

Anyway, my top 5 PS4 games currently are:-

1) Horizon: Zero Dawn - Epic and absolutely stunning too. Aloy became an instant icon before the game even released but the game-play, the combat, the open-world and setting etc was just superb - and it has Robot Dinosaurs in too!!!
2) God of War - I won't say too much as it is still very 'fresh' and don't want to spoil it for anyone. It does however show how a Reboot, whilst also keeping the lore of the past, can be done right. Its a great example of how a 'linear' game with quite 'old-school' paths can still give an 'open-world' feel and add more than just 'story' missions.
3) Uncharted 4 - I can't say that U4 was what I 'wanted' from its story and some 'game-play' BUT it was superbly crafted and the attention to detail was insane.
4) Uncharted: Lost Legacy - In some ways, I do think this is better than U4 and shows that Uncharted doesn't necessarily need Nathan Drake. Like all ND games, the visuals are stunning with incredible attention to detail.
5) Infamous: Second Son - could be easily swapped out for Ratchet and Clank too but as Infamous was all 'new', I think it just has the edge. Its not my 'favourite' Infamous and even 'First Light' has a better lead, its still a fun game and gave me my first PS4 platinum trophy.

All of the above are also great games to show off a Pro and a 4k HDR TV with the top two especially good. The Uncharted games look great in HDR too although do look softer than HZD or GoW, probably because they are less than half the size at 1440p so need to be upscaled to fit the TV's resolution.

No doubt I expect this list to change with games like Spider-Man, Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima and Last of Us 2 coming out over the next year or so...

Edited on by BAMozzy

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Gremio108

I forgot about Ratchet and Clank, I had a great time with that one. Until Dawn is another PS4 exclusive that was surprisingly fun to play.

NecuVise

@Gremio108 I can't believe I forgot about Until Dawn. Me and my wife had such a great time with it. I have to revise my list because of that game.

Bloodborne
Horizon Zero Dawn
Ratchet and Clank
Uncharted 4
Until Dawn

NecuVise

Gremio108

@NecuVise Yeah, same here. Booted it up expecting to be underwhelmed and we had a right laugh. If I were doing a top ten it'd definitely be in.

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 I too had forgotten about Until Dawn and was also pleasantly surprised how much i enjoyed it. It would probs just miss out on top 5 along with Killzone and Infamous.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Tasuki

Just looked over my last list and I honestly can't see it changeing for now. However with the likes of Spiderman, Red Dead 2, Battlefield V, Spyro, Mega Man 11 all releasing in the next few months I am sure my list will change.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

RogerRoger

Yeah, my list from earlier in the year is currently pretty safe...

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn
2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
3. Batman: Arkham Knight
4. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
5. Lara Croft Go

...although having replayed it recently, I think I'd actually swap out Uncharted 4 for either The Lost Legacy or (he says with hype-fingers tightly crossed) Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I'll leave it there for now and re-evaluate after this year's silly season.

I don't think the likes of Spyro, LEGO DC Super-Villains and Team Sonic Racing will be good enough to break in, but I've got high hopes for Hitman 2 and Just Cause 4, too.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Can you expound a little bit on why the love for Lara Croft Go? And I don’t mean that as a criticism - I’m actually just wondering if I’d like it. I’ve read the Push Square review and its quite complimentary. I haven’t played any of the ‘Go’ games (Are there more than 2? Lara Croft and Hitman I know of) and I see that people quite like them. To include it in your top 5 is high praise, so I was wondering your take on it. I’m a big Tomb Raider fan, as you know. LCG is on sale for $2.50 right now, so the barrier to entry is quite low. And I think it is only $1 on iOS, which for me, I’d rather pay the extra buck and a half to have it on console and get trophies.
Anyways, there is overlap between your other top 4 and mine (except for Batman Arkham Knight which we have discussed recently) so I would surmise LCG should be a good one to try.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Th3solution I know you didn't ask me this question, and I'm anxious for @RogerRoger's answer as well, but I still feel the urge to chime in.

Lara Croft Go is very much a 'decent' game. Nothing less, but certainly nothing more. It's very clearly a game designed for mobile phone, but it is designed well.

The puzzles however aren't ground breaking, the game is way too short and they could have done way more with the concept. It's a regular puzzle game with a lick of Tomb Raider paint.

And that's fine, by the way. I can recommend the game to anyone who wants a cool puzzle game to kill some time. And it's at least worth the 2.50 in sale right now. Just keep your expectations in check.

Also, I'm still interested why Roger feels it's a top 5 game.

(Also, surely Tomb Raider 2013 is a better game)

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

mookysam

1. Persona 5
2. Nier Automata
3. Assassin's Creed Origins
4. Fallout 4
5. God of War

Just one change - God of War has knocked Doom out of my top five.

Honestly, I'm not sure how much my list will change between now and the next generation. The top two are perhaps locked in as they are very special games indeed. However, there's still quite a few games coming out that I'm really excited about so we shall see.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Kidfried

1. The Witcher 3
2. Bloodborne
3. The Last Guardian
4. Metal Gear Solid 5
5. Horizon Zero Dawn

Changes: Bloodborne gets in and The Witness is out. Horizon and Metal Gear Solid switched places, because the recent discussion in the MGS topic helped me realize how much I love the game.

The Witness is about as good as the games on the list. But I do feel its release on mobile makes it stand out less as a PS4 must-have to me, even though PS4 is still the greatest way to experience it.

Disclaimer: I haven't played Nier Automata or God of War yet, and these are both games that might make the list.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried @Th3solution Played Tomb Raider Go on my 10 inch tablet. Found it way too one dimensional in terms of gameplay and quickly got bored of it. So unless there has been a massive overhaul for the console versions, I wouldn't recommend wasting any money on it. Maybe if was on ps+, but even then I personally wouldn't go for any of the 'Go' games. I think there is a Deus Ex on too.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Th3solution As far as I'm aware, there are only two "Go" games, yeah. They might be working on another, based on Deus Ex, or it came out but ended up being too different in terms of approach, so was never called "Deus Ex Go". Not entirely sure about that, as I'm not hugely interested in Deus Ex.

I'm approaching this top five ranking as though it were Desert Island Discs; if I were stranded on a desert island with a PS4 and any five games, which games would I want them to be? So I've gone for an open-world third-person action-stealth game called Horizon, an open-world third-person action-stealth game called Metal Gear, an open-world third-person action-stealth game called Batman, a partly-open-world third-person action-stealth game called Uncharted and if I haven't made my point already, then please do keep reading.

@Kidfried is absolutely right; the puzzles in Lara Croft Go aren't particularly challenging, nor are the hidden items particularly hidden. It's very much an upscaled mobile phone game (albeit upscaled incredibly well) and can be cleared in a handful of evenings... but it has a look and feel, an atmosphere, about the cel-shaded visuals and ambient soundtrack which I personally find just so gorgeously zen. There's just something about it which makes me relax, whilst keeping my brain somewhat engaged, and I find it the perfect way to unwind and break up the monotony of the types of games that I love (because no matter how much I love them, there's only so many open-world third-person action-stealth games a guy can play one after the other). It has a very big, very calming impact on my mood whenever I play it, moreso than the other Tomb Raider games available on PS4 which, need I remind you, are open-world third-person action-stealth games.

And sometimes that's all I want from a game. Sometimes I don't wanna be challenged, or given thirty seconds to sprint out from under a collapsing building. Sometimes clearing a room of thugs without being seen, set to a steady tempo of tense music, would just wind me up further. Sometimes I just wanna relax, wander around and figure out how to get a little cartoon Lara from A to B.

I'm sorry if such a personal answer doesn't help you decide on whether to spend $2.50 on it, but I reckon there's enough in there for that asking price, simply on the basis that you're a Tomb Raider fan and you can unlock classic outfits for Lara.

That'd be enough for me, but your actual mileage may vary.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.