Forums

Topic: TOP 5 PS4 games

Posts 341 to 360 of 408

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger Deus Ex Go was released back in 2016 on mobile platforms, don't think it has been released on consoles yet.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Thanks for the reply and it makes perfect sense. There are a few different ways one can approach a top 5 list. And your approach of the deserted island mental exercise is one such approach that I hadn’t considered. There are some games I consider great, but I’d rather not play them again, that if I would play them again I know the enjoyment factor would be much lower. I think I might reconsider my list and see how your approach might change it 🤔
As for Lara Croft Go, I think it sounds like it’s gotta be worth the price of admission at such a minimal investment, but whether I could actually find the time to play it is another obstacle entirely. But it is good to have a very different type of game in my backlog for rainy days because, ...well I do have a boatload of open-world, third-person, action-stealth games in there already.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

My previous PS4 top 5:

1. Shadow of the Colossus
2. Uncharted 4 / Lost Legacy
3. NieR Automata
4. MGSV: The Phantom Pain
5. Bloodborne

I suppose my criteria was not only personal enjoyment, time spent, and emotional impact but also overall video gaming achievement. I still stand by that list for now, maybe the spots would shuffle a little, but it’s solid — pending Spider-Man, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, RDR2, etc. If we don’t count remasters (which I’m not sure why we couldn’t) then SotC would drop out and everything moved up a notch and Horizon Zero Dawn moves into slot #5.

(And yes, I realize UC4 and UCLL are two different games but in my mind I can’t help but treat them as one. Lost Legacy was originally UC4 DLC that just grew and grew, so it’s not too far fetched. I know it’s cheating but, whatever. Sue me. )

Now for the big change. In response to the discussion we were having about @RogerRoger ‘s list and the idea of the top 5 being the 5 games I’d grab to take to a deserted island, now my list becomes:

1. Bloodborne
2. Persona 5
3. Horizon Zero Dawn
4. Yakuza 0
5. MGS V

A very different list indeed. These games could keep me busy for a very long time, and have either immense replayability or are huge to the point that you can spend countless hours wandering around and doing side activities forever. Bloodborne especially just seems like it would never get old, replaying and trying all the different weapons and developing different builds (arcane, bloodtinge, etc)
Believe it or not, I actually considered putting No Man’s Sky on this list, a game I didn’t care for much, but at least has near infinite possibilities to spend a lifetime exploring the universe while you’re stranded weaving your underwear out of grass and drinking coconut milk.

Edit: Dreams I think will end up being the perfect desert island game.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@JohnnyShoulder Ah, thanks! So it is a trilogy, after all. Neat!

@Th3solution Speaking personally (because it's all subjective anyway) there's nothing better than a game, or a film or television series, which makes you immediately wanna start it all over again once the credits have rolled. It's the Blu-Ray test for films; if you watch it at the cinema, do you buy it six months later to watch again? And that's only a couple hours. If you've just sank 20+ hours (minimum!) into a game, and you don't want it to end, that's something special.

That's not to take anything away from the great games you enjoyed but are okay with never replaying, of course; it's just an extra something that pushes them into my rankings. Funnily enough, having replayed it recently, I'm desperate to get Uncharted 4 out of my Top Five, but I have a very strong feeling that I'll be wanting to get Shadow of the Tomb Raider in there somewhere, so I'll come back later.

No Man's Sky is an excellent candidate for a desert island disc (or digital download, if you prefer). It's interesting to see the difference in your lists!

Here's hoping you enjoy Lara Croft Go. Use it for any spare half-hours and I'm sure you'll be fine.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@beemo ...and we all know how long that game is! Must've made quite an impact on you!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@beemo That doesn't actually surprise me all that much. I have a friend who is very selective about what he plays, and frequently just abandons things he isn't getting along with, and yet he's played Final Fantasy VII every year since its launch. So you're not alone!

I also frequently encounter game worlds where I love to poke around in the corners and just "be there" as much as I enjoy ticking off objectives and furthering the story. I can imagine that feeling being particularly powerful with something as in-depth and advanced as The Witcher III.

Making It So Since 1987

stinkyx

@beemo Knowledge is Power is pretty good, you say? How does it compare to Trivial Pursuit and the Jackbox games, if you've played those?

I actually tried to play it with some family/in-laws last week and having to install the app was THE BIGGEST DEAL, lol. People either couldn't remember their passwords to allow them to download apps, or thought that it was just getting too complicated. It ended up being such a pain that I uninstalled the game. But it sounds like I should make the extra effort next time?

Make it a great day!

PSN: tearatherflesh

Th3solution

I’m curious how people might approach their lists now post-4th quarter 2018 and 1st quarter 2019.
As for me, despite having a few great gaming experiences since, my list is actually the same:

1. Shadow of the Colossus
2. Uncharted 4 / Lost Legacy
3. NieR Automata
4. MGSV: The Phantom Pain
5. Bloodborne

And this list is with the arbitrary criteria of personal enjoyment, time spent, and emotional impact but also overall video gaming achievement. And this is still without having played GoW or Spider-Man. Other 2018 notables Detroit, RDR2, and Shadow of the TR just don’t quite make the cut.

Now for my desert island games, those I would like to have with my PS4 if I were stranded on a deserted island:

1.Bloodborne
2.Red Dead Redemption 2
3.The Witcher 3
4.Horizon Zero Dawn
5.Persona 5

These are a mixture of games I’ve finished but would love to just hang out in and re-explore their huge and deep worlds (BB, RDR2, and HZD) and those I have started but not finished and I know how huge the world is and how much time can be spent enjoying them (TW3, P5)

The biggest change, RDR2, is a game that I enjoyed a lot but I can’t quite call it one of my top 5 favorites because of some of the weaknesses in game design. However, I loved it so much that I’d be happy to have it for constant replayability, if that makes sense.

Edited on by Th3solution

Kidfried

@Th3solution I played a lot of good games, but none of them were as good as the five in my last posted list.

1. The Witcher 3
2. Bloodborne
3. The Last Guardian
4. Metal Gear Solid 5
5. Horizon Zero Dawn

Looking back, the order of those have changed a bit. I think I have underrated Metal Gear Solid 5, and possibly overrated The Witcher 3 in this list.

Kidfried

HallowMoonshadow

Oooh... this is a toughie alright

For Games only on PS4 (Or rather from this gen only)

1. Dark Souls III
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
3. Hollow Knight
4. DOOM
5. Mortal Kombat XL

Including Ports & Remasters

1. Dark Souls III
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
3. Hollow Knight
4. Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
5. Dark Souls II: Scholar Of The First Sin

with special mention to Borderlands: The Handsome Collection and Odin Sphere leifthrasir!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

Aww thanks @Kidfried !

It was actually rather hard to do a top 5 of games out this gen... as I've got more ports of stuff from the previous gen thanks to my PS3 acting up.

Not to mention a decent amount of PS2 classics for like £2/£3! 😂

I do have and like Bloodborne. For a top 5 though I went for games that have stayed with me fondly in my thoughts.

Sad to say it hadn't stick with me as much as I thought it might ... Especially considering it was my first PS4 game!

Also your profile picture is adorable, completely off topic... but it's cute, just wanted to say 😄

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Kidfried

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Funny you mention Bloodborne didn't stick with you as much. I still remember every dumb detail about that game, from enemy placement to its lore. It's why over the course of this year it actually has grown out to become pretty much my favorite game on the platform.

That being said, I have played neither Dark Souls 2 nor 3.

Also, I played a lot of ports too from earlier gens too. During last generation I experienced many moments in which I felt burned out on video games, so I had quite some catching up to do.

Kidfried

Kidfried

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Thank you! It's Aoi Asahina from Danganronpa, by the way.

She and I share quite a few character traits (she's the character from the first game I feel I can relate to the most), but she cares way less about what other people think than I do - that's something I'm quite jealous of.

This would all have been on topic, had I chosen to include that game in my Top 5, but even though I enjoyed my time with it, it doesn't come close to these other games.

Oh, and of course it's more of a Vita game than a PS4 game of course.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Ralizah

Favorite games available on the PS4 (I've played most of these on other systems):
1) Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
2) Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
3) Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
4) NieR: Automata
5) Tetris Effect

Favorite games I've played on PS4
1) NieR: Automata
2) Tetris Effect
3) Persona 5
4) Ratchet and Clank
5) Rayman Legends

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

I actully remember most of Bloodborne to be honest @Kidfried . Maybe not enemy placements level of memory, but I can probably picture most, if not all the areas in the base game fairly well and the bosses... I just don't think of Bloodborne as fondly as the other games on my list (Similar to you and Danganronpa)

If you've played Dark Souls and enjoyed it, then I'd easily recommend DS3... it IS at the tippy top of my list after all! A wonderful send off to the series... and I haven't even got the dlc!

Dark Souls 2 I would consider the black sheep of the series like most do... The original PS3 version took me forever to get into and I thought it was a little lackluster overall.

Retrying it through the PS4 version I did end up enjoying it much more however so take that as you will!

and cool! Never played any of the series! ... or know anything about it in the slightest! But it's always nice to find something or someone you can relate to! 😄

And cool list @Ralizah ! Nier Automata is another game on my list that I have yet to get...

redd214

1) God of War
2) Horizon
3) Towerfall
4) Driveclub
5) Division 2

redd214

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy It's a weird, unbalanced, emotionally raw, wildly creative, and deeply flawed experience that I'd recommend to almost anyone who is willing to subject themselves to often unconventional game design. I played it last year, but I kind of regret not picking it up at launch in 2017 so I could get that gorgeous digital preorder theme.

There's a ton of these PS4 exclusives I still need to get around to eventually. I can't believe I still haven't played The Last Guardian.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

KALofKRYPTON

Resogun
Driveclub
Elite:Dangerous
Ace Combat 7
WipEout: Omega Collection

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.