Forums

Topic: TOP 5 PS4 games

Posts 241 to 260 of 408

themcnoisy

Kidfried wrote:

@themcnoisy Wow, Odin Sphere in there is a cool choice. What made the game stand out that much for you?

I got it for Christmas and when I have finished off playing every game I was luckily gifted, thats the one Im going back to first. I love the art direction and rpg mechanics. They are the perfect depth for me!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

DistortedAndroid

First post on these boards and this topic seems like a good place to start.
Really like the idea of peoples lists not being final, but a mutating and evolving thing. It's always interesting to see how tastes change over time.

Anyhoo, as of now:

1. Bloodborne
2. Nier:Automata
3. Titanfall 2
4. Dirt Rally
5. Doom

That was a lot harder than I thought it'd be at the top of the post. There were so many others which came so close!

Ultimately it came down to three main factors which are really doing it for me right now:

No nonsense, plain old fun (All 5!).

Taking tried n tested mechanics, perfecting and making a game more than the sum of its parts (Titanfall, Doom, Dirt).

Content which plays with ideas and twists the brain in original ways through story, lore, dialogue, concepts etc (BB & Nier).

Oh and longevity really helps too. If I go back to a modern game after completion these days, it did something right.

Edited on by DistortedAndroid

Always game

Th3solution

@DistortedAndroid Welcome to the forums! Or as someone told me a short time ago when I first started visiting Push Square — “Welcome to the last stronghold of civility, reason, and order on the internet.” — or something like that.
I like your criteria for your list, although I haven’t played 4 of your 5. I keep saying I’m going to try Bloodborne, but I just couldn’t get into Dark Souls when I tried it. Maybe some rainy day I will break down and try my hand at BB. NieR is the bomb though. Love that game.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

themcnoisy

@DistortedAndroid Welcome to the forums! Great list. With all souldbourne games you either love them or put them down within the hour. Im in the latter camp, just dont have the time to git gud. Nice Avatar!

Kidfried

@DistortedAndroid Cool to see Dirt in there. Never played it. Im not really great at simulation race games, but I'm still looking for that perfect PS4 racer. How would you say it would stack up against Drive Club, Need for Speed, Forza or any other racing game in terms of arcade/simulation.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

Oh whoops I've been posting away and not introduced myself being a fellow newbie. Feel a bit of a plank now.

Anyway, my yes this is difficult and I had to set myself a couple of rules:

Only include games I've finished the main story. So that means Bloodborne misses out even though I've really enjoyed it and got right to the last boss virtually by myself, which I feel quite proud off.

No remasters but remakes are OK. The Last Of Us misses out but games like Ratchet and Clank would be fine. Which sucks cos TLOU is amazing and only one other game this gen pulled at me emotionally (I'll get to that later). Who made these stupid rules up?....oh right it was me. Damn it.

1. The Witcher 3
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
3. Dark Souls 3 (first souls game I finished yay)
4. The Last Guardian
5. X Com 2

Games that just missed out were Axiom Verge, Fallout 4, Titanfall 2, Wolfenstein The New Order, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Alien Isolation, Infamous Second Son, Driveclub and any PES since 2016.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Kidfried

@JohnnyShoulder That's a cool list! I never played a Souls game (it's one of my 2018 resolutions) and The Last Guardian will be my next game, so these are both high on my wishlist. And the other games in your list are excellent.

And nice to meet you!

Kidfried

Gremio108

@DistortedAndroid Dirt Rally is a shout, that game was brutal at times, but rewarding. Where do you stand on Dirt 4?

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

themcnoisy

@JohnnyShoulder Welcome mate. The only thing I can disagree with is when I see the Last Guardian on anyones list. It is genuinely one of the worst games I have played on the PS4. Spent good money on that and after an hour I was like.... Is this the game? One of the most generic platformers you could imagine. The dog bird AI couldnt save it from there imo.

Im usually wrong on these things. What do you like about it?

DistortedAndroid

Firstly, many thanks for the friendly welcomes. Seems like a chilled place here with sound people (thanks again @JohnnyShoulder for suggesting it as somewhere good to post!).

Also, I must admit I haven't finished BB either. Got to the last boss but never fought him as wanted to do the dlc first which I'm finding v tough. Just had to put it in the list though because it's my favourite game since DS1.

@Kidfried I'd say Dirt Rally is one of the most sim heavy racers you can get on console (even PC sim types with v expensive wheel & pedal setups laud it as a brilliant sim racer) so it is very tough and requires a lot of patience. I think because it's rally rather than track, the learning stage (where you will crash a lot), is a bit more fun than most.
If you do get it the best bit of advice I could give is go slower than you think you should at first and finish stages. It's better to finish further down the pack a bit than hit a corner far too fast, fly off a cliff and total your car. Once you start to learn that way, speeding up and driving 'on the edge' feels amazing.

@Gremio108 To be honest I didn't like Dirt 4 too much. The handling/physics just didn't feel right. It almost felt stuck in a sort of uncanny physics valley between sim and arcade which did neither very well (and I'd have loved a good arcade racer as much as a good sim one) . Ultimately, I just felt it wasn't that much fun.
Admittedly I did get it at launch and there were loads of complaints on the Codies forums about the handling so it may have been patched a lot since.
Did you play Dirt 4? What were your thoughts if so?

Always game

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried Thanks! Nice to meet you too! I've probs left loads out and I almost forgot X Com 2 which will probably sneak up on me and shoot me in the face for that. Highly recommended the Souls games, I would maybe start with Bloodborne as its a tad easier to get into. Love the detail of word design of those games and the story and lore is handled. The combat is tight too.

@themcnoisy thanks for the greets! I knew The Last Guardian would be a controversial choice, so to speak. This is the game that I was on about earlier that pulled on my emotional strings. That it does without hardly any dialogue is a credit to the director. The journey you both go through and that you so attached to them is quite rare in video games. Trico (the dog/cat/bird creature) gets more obedient at a certain point in the game so gets a lot easier to control. It is a wild feral creature so you have to earn its trust. Personally I think the boy and Trico are brilliantly designed characters. The kid is about 8 so is supposed to be a bit unwieldy to control and not like Nathan Drake. It took me a bit to get used to it but I quite liked how he wasn't perfect and made a refreshing change. And Trico for me has to be one of the best designed characters in video games. It's the little things that make a difference like the way it acts when not doing anything, like the little sounds it makes, the way it cleans itself, just stuff a real life wild animal would do.

I wouldn't say you are wrong that is just your experience of the game, which is different to mine. 😎

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Jorjk

Just 5 😂😂. TLOU would top my list but since remasters aren't allowed:

1. Bloodborne
2. Horizon 0 Dawn
3. Batman Arkham Knight
4. Destiny The Collection
5. Watch Dogs

The only new game in 2017 is Horizon. Nier Automata and Persona 5 are perfect games but didn't crack my top 5. I am a bit generous in rating games that's why 5 games is way too little haha.

I can talk for hours about TLOU and Bloodborne
PSN: jorjk

Octane

@Jorjk Since when are remasters not allowed?

Octane

Kidfried

@Jorjk Have you played Watch Dogs 2? I found that game to be better in every way, but perhaps you like the first more? Interested!

Kidfried

Kidfried

By the way, I love seeing when people have some games on their lists no one else has. I wish my taste was a bit more unique!

Kidfried

Jorjk

@Octane i read in a comment OP saying he not including remasters haha 🤷‍♂️

@Kidfried oh yes watch dogs 2 really has improved on the original in every aspect but I loved chicago! I still remember some missions from the original due to the locations

Th3solution

@Jorjk Ha, ha! Yeah man, you give out a lot of 10/10’s. 😅 I don’t think I’ve ever rated a game as a 10, or “perfect.” I’m a bit stingier with my ratings I guess. I think I’ve played some 9.8’s though.
I suppose that’s why creating the actual ranked list is fun to do to force you to differentiate all the games from each other. Thanks for sharing your interesting list. Bloodborne seems to make a lot of people’s top 5.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Jorjk

@Th3solution hahahha well here's how I see it: if I enjoy the game and got no major complaints about it > perfect 10/10. Also I should tell you that Ive started gaming with the PS4 (only a few Ps2, ps3, pc games). So my experience is based on current gen games, most of them offer me something new to make me say: WOW I can do that in games!!

Th3solution

@Jorjk Ok, that’s cool. You have an interesting perspective then. Most of us avid gamers have been doing this for as long as we could hold a controller. Not having hundreds of games from prior generations to compare to would certainly change the way you feel about current games. Perhaps then you didn’t play Batman Arkham Asylum or Arkham City? I loved Arkham City so much that I just couldn’t get into Arkham Knight. I might have been burned out on the formula at the time. I need to retry it.

Jorjk

@Th3solution exactly havent played them. I remember reading the reviews, and they all mentioned that Arkham Knight didnt deliver as well as previous entries. But for me, I found nothing wrong with Arkham Knight, it even got me into watching the batman movies (which I hated before!).
Same goes for many games I got on PS4.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.