Forums

Topic: Bloodborne Tavern: Impressions, Help, Discussion Board

Posts 141 to 160 of 634

andreoni79

Bloodborne: the reason why I bought my PS4, the reason why I'd never sell my PS4.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

kyleforrester87

I fired it up again tonight for a quick go - great game but I realised I'm so done with it! Still, I'd get a sequel.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Th3solution

@Kidfried OMG, It sounds similar to the few hours I spent with Dark Souls. I was hoping it would be a little more direct in its opening hours. Still at work, so I’ll see about downloading when I get home.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Gremio108

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah I did Gazza first as well. I don't know how I managed to miss the Cleric Beast, I was just running around like a headless chicken.

Edited on by Gremio108

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 Yeah same here. Not sure how I managed to get all the way through to final boss, mainly playing solo. 😬

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Kidfried

I love the fighting, but I hate how the game doesn't tell you what to do. Do I need to go right, left? I don't know. There's no way in your environment to tell.

Ugh.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

There are only usually a couple of paths open to ya, usually where you are supposed to go and sometimes a more difficult path (which most of time will be a dead end anyway). You will probably need a key or something to open up the way forward, which can be obtained by defeating a Boss or speaking to an npc. Or you could need to activate a lever to open up a shortcut.

It may seem a bit of trial and error at the moment but it will eventually click into place. These games just require a different mindset to most other games, once you can get your head around it you will be fine. Just see this Part of the game to get some practice in for the combat and the basics, cos you will need it later.

Also sometimes the messages on the floor may point you in the right direction. And sometimes they will point you to your doom lol.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Jaz007

@Kidfried Why should you know lol? Your hunter has no reason to know automatically. You’ve got to figure it out; and really, I’d just say admire the beautiful design of the game as you play. View it more as exploring a breathtaking gothic environment and it’ll be better. I’m being serious about just admiring the environment. There aren’t that many wrong paths either, and they don’t go very far. It also could be a cue that there’s a shortcut you could take coming up.

Jaz007

kyleforrester87

@Kidfried you're used to way points and maps and stuff that's why it's like an original Tomb Raider game to me.

Anyway just keep going in any direction. You'll either open a short cut back to a lamp you already lit, move into a new area entirely and find a new lamp, or get so low on supplies and health that you are better off heading back to the lamp you came from to level up. It's no more complicated than that really, but part of the enjoyment of those games is the great level design and exploration.

(Sometimes it's good to just not worry about what's ahead and sprint like a mad man past all the enemies. You might die, but it'll help you get an idea of what's ahead so you can plan your next run a bit better, and you might even find another lamp right around the corner doing that. Enemies are pretty easy to avoid in BB to be honest. Plus it removes some of that "what lies ahead" tension, if it's getting to you )

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Th3solution

@Kidfried Alright, bruh, tell me whether to play this when I get a day off. I’ve read all that countless praises as well as a surprising amount of newcomers who rage quit or gave up today after playing a couple hours. I wasn’t expecting to see so much negativity in the comments section of Sammy’s article. It appears even the hardcore are giving up on it sometimes.
I downloaded the game, but I have tired head from a crap day and real life is beating me to a pulp right now (methinks Bloodborne can’t even get close to the torture of a bad day in the rat race) and I’m not going to get a chance to fire up the PS4 for a few days. You’re the only one who appears to be in my same shoes of being new and has similar tastes.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

Ha ha my mate who was playing this last night said there were lots n lots of red blood patches around clinic & start of yharnham!😂
Still can't get over that one dude commenting on Sammy's article quit the game and deleted it after being killed by the first enemy! 😒

Kidfried

Is there a way to pause in this game? Haven't found it yet.

Kidfried

Kidfried

@NecuVise Wow, that's unbelievable. And with that I mean... I am unable to believe they actually made such a bad decision.

I want to hate this game for being too difficult, but... it's mostly that I hate the game for having terrible game design in many places.

(And I don't mean that I hate the complete game, just parts of it of course.)

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

NecuVise

@KratosMD If you need some help with the old hunters or your platinum you can add me (ID - NecuVise). I've already got platinum but I'm willing to help as I like the game so much that I'm looking for excuses to play it again

NecuVise

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried It is not bad game design, all the souls games there is no pause option as an intended mechanic (as well as no saveload options). If you want to take a break you can press Options, then select Settings (icon with gears on top right), then select Exit Game.

Quitting the game is really quick, and when you load your character back up, he is standing exactly where he was when you quit (unless you were fighting a boss).

I did post something similar a few days ago...

Kidfried

@JohnnyShoulder Well, I do not understand the design then. Basically, I got a phone call in the middle of a boss fight. Means I have to choose between having a social life or beating the boss.

Just feels so forced to me.

Anyway, I have heaps of annoyances with this game, but that doesn't take away from the fact that I'm still playing this game and enjoying every beating I get. I love how I slowly get better in the game and how the game forces you to always be on your guard.

Learning the patterns of each enemy and how to attack them is fun, just like tweaking your strategy everytime you upgrade your skills/weapons. Example: first I did a heavy attack, roll, 3* light attack on one type of enemy, but now my stagger is good enough so that I can finish it in a combo without ever rolling. That really feels good.

Also, this game reminds me of the old MegaMan and Castlevania games so much. And its clear that games like The Witcher 3 and other contemporaries were heavily inspired by this Souls style of fighting as well.

Kidfried

starhops

@Kidfried "Hiding" is pausing. well, except during boss fights... and voicemail exists for a reason (I can think of quite a few things I might be otherwise indisposed of besides a boss fight where I might miss a phone call...it is only a phone call and if it's that important, die from the boss, who cares, it's a game) and @kyleforrester87 said it perfectly, pausing gives you time to stop, calm down and breathe, think out your strategy and then go. This game design is to keep you on your toes!

You did nail it though. I said the same thing in the comments on Sammy's article: this game is like the old school Castlevania games. Learn the patterns, learn the zones. All the mobs spawn in the same places. They all have tells.

This is one of my favorite games. It still gets my heart rate up and I know the fights! I've played this game so much. haha... good times.

Old Hunters is a top five DLC for me. Wicked tough first play-though.

Edited on by starhops

starhops

PSN: starhops

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried I've been where you are at the moment! I couldn't understand why all these systems were in place and felt a bit anti-gamer! You will get there sunshine 😁 and all this annoyances will be like a distant memory.

Well said @starhops couldn't put it better myself.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic