Forums

Topic: Ideas for the site.

Posts 461 to 480 of 1,116

Jaz007

Yeah, it’s gotten bad, you can’t burst people’s bubble with a different opinion. Certain people especially (I won’t name them to avoid politics) label you with a phobia if you respectfully disagree with them or don’t serve as a platform for their beliefs. (And in no group does everyone do that.)
People can still be friends with different opinions.
And the internet in particular seems to go downhill.
@Tasuki Yeah, some problem think they should get paid to breathe. He couldn’t even say sorry he was having a hard time (or even better) say he’ll go faster, he just threw a fit. I work at Wal-Mart right now, and the night-shift has issues with people not doing their job and complaining it’s too hard, and did or does have a problem with people disappearing into their cars.
Such people will have a very hard time later in life if they don’t change.

Jaz007

Tasuki

@KratosMD Yep it's like walking on eggshells with these people cause it seems they hold all of the power. It's like those people @Jaz007 was talking about. The moment stuff it's hard for them the go crying about instead of improving like improving is a bad thing??? Then when you have to let them go cause they refuse to improve your the bad guy

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

DerMeister

@KratosMD Late reply I know, but I'm doing better now. I'm still trying to sort things out, but at this rate I'll probably get posting on the regular soon. Mostly because it's hard to pull away, you guys keep pulling me in!

I also feel the same way about my generation. I'm turning 23 soon, but I feel older than most people that age. I had an old-fashioned upbringing in a blue collar family, so that's probably the major reason, but a lot of my life experience (Missing college and being broke and working menial jobs) also meant I had to grow up fast and learn the value of a hard earned dollar. I genuinely wonder how the average 23 year old would deal in my position. I don't want to say that every millennial aged person is a spoiled brat (just because life is easier than before doesn't mean it's still not hard), but I think that they forget how good they have it sometimes, getting into good schools and having steady jobs, homes, vehicles, and families others could really use. Getting my first paycheck after two weeks of dishwashing and cleaning in a bar was probably the best feeling I've had since I graduated high school. Stuff like that shouldn't be taken for granted.

Edited on by DerMeister

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Rudy_Manchego

I think that people just want to feel like they belong to something. If you are part of a community or a groundswell of opinion then it seems to give purpose and sadly people feel they can get themselves united by hate. The problem is that this kind of negative groupings doesn't build community. Here on Push Square, this is a truly great community built largely on respect which means that difference of opinions can be had but no one is calling swat teams to peoples houses and therefore come back day after day for more.

The worst moment I have seen on Push Square was Liam's review of Metal Gear Survive where he basically said the actual gameplay was pretty good in his opinion and suddenly lots of new posters, who had seemingly followed on from meta-critic started getting vitriolic because they didn't like a video game score. Who cares that much? I find it hard to get properly angry about anything like this online. I'm a passionate advocate against things like lootboxes and gross monetization of games and I'll always write an essay about it but I honestly don't get personally upset when someone disagrees with me.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Kidfried

Strange how we can go from site moderation to this!

Kidfried

Kidfried

@Rudy_Manchego Nicely put. The comments on that review were certainly a low in Push Square history.

Kidfried

Tasuki

@Rudy_Manchego Sadly that happens all to often especially with popular things. We will get a flood of new users that seem to group up and attack us and then we never see them again. I don't know if they find us via Google or Twitter or Facebook or what. I remember the review for Asseto Corsa we had so many new accounts that day flood the comment section and assult us because we didn't review the game with a steering wheel and those accounts I havent seen them post since. Sometimes I just don't get people. I guess that's how little their lives are that they have to make themselves feel good by hinding behind a screen and verbal assualt a community or whatnot. It's actually really sad if you think about it.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Rudy_Manchego

@Tasuki Yep, I can't understand it at all. Why go through the effort of creating an account, to insult someone or a community on something that you have zero control over? It is not like a bunch of yammering yahoos are going to make reviewers magically change their mind.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Octane

@antdickens Would it be possible to include an option to enlarge the YouTube videos during the live streams (i.e. the COD stream today or the upcoming E3 streams)? The videos are rather small, so watching them on YouTube gives me the option to watch it in theater mode. If it's possible to increase the size of the video, whilst keeping the chat on screen, that would be appreciated!

Octane

Octane

@antdickens Yeah, like that! But it moves the chat out of sight, so that's a bit of a bummer!

Octane

BAMozzy

@antdickens On my laptop, if I expand the video, the chat drops under the video and cannot be seen. In the end, I end up having to watch on youtube because if I am going to watch something and not able to interact, then I will watch it full screen.

Its a case of either 'tiny' and can chat or medium size and can't see the chat (despite ample space on either side but that's wasted on a widescreen laptop. @Octane has the same issue, it seems, in that we cannot make the video bigger without moving the chat to underneath - which them makes it impossible to actually join in - not without shrinking the video back down (then its too small) or scrolling down and cutting off the top of the video. The problem is that 'side-bar' with Game info in. That space that could easily fit the chat in the enlarged video mode is just dead space.

It would be better for your 'interactive' video streaming - especially with E3 and the season of gaming events - to be designed differently - as in that side bar being removed so that if you do 'enlarge' the video, the chat is pushed over to that part of the screen rather than pushed below. You can still incorporate any details or ads but as horizontal banners instead of that vertical sidebar.

I hope I have explained what the issue is. Its not a simple case of just enlarging the video its about enlarging the video AND keeping the Chat on screen - if you can...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Octane

@antdickens It is already a bit like the Twitch layout, isn't it? With the chat on the right side. I assume that's what you meant?

The issue is that when you expand the video, the chat moves down and you cannot see the chat without scrolling down or shrinking the video screen. Preferably you could watch the video and see the chat at the same time. Like @BAMozzy suggested, there's a big blue box with ''GAME INFO'' on the right side, which is kinda unnecessary for live streams anyway, so maybe move the chat over there if you expand the video screen?

I can make a few screenshots tomorrow if you want!

Octane

BAMozzy

@antdickens I don't know about 'smaller' screens but on my wide-screen laptop, the fact that the video ends up pushing the chat box down and under the video instead of being beside it creates the issue. It is annoying because the sidebar - which is 'dead' space and if you 'have' to have the info and adverts, then for live blogs, it would be much better to have these across the page - like a banner - instead of the side bar.

My screen is 'typical' in that it is the standard 16:9 ratio wide-screen so if the video is enlarged it still takes up the same 'ratio' of the screen. In a browser, with both the browsers menu/tab and or search bar at the top and the usual windows task bar across the bottom, it does make the screen seem more wide - more 16:7/8 so you lose some 'height' compared to width - but it also means that full screen content fits perfectly. Even though the video isn't full screen, the fact that its under the video means that it cannot be read where as if it was able to move to the side bar area, it would work perfectly.

I imagine it would be the same issue on my 55" TV too because the screen is the exact same ratio. It maybe not so bad because the 'smaller' video would be much larger anyway but on 'smaller' widescreen screens, it is necessary to enlarge the video otherwise its more a thumbnail. Considering the side bar is 'useless' dead space from a user perspective and any info/ads etc can be included in other ways to improve the user experience, I think it would make sense to change the format - if possible - for these specific live stream interactive pages. Its not necessary for other pages though.

I would really appreciate being able to enlarge the video and participate in the chat with the community but its difficult and end up watching on youtube and switching tabs during the 'lulls' but it would be so much easier to have both video (at a decent size) and chat accessible in one page.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Kidfried

Jaz007 wrote:

@RogerRoger Good to know, and by the way, if you use spoiler tags but @ someone, they don’t show up in the E-mail so you just see whatever they wrote.

@antdickens I read the above post somewhere else on the forums. Is that something you'd be easily able to fix or not?

EDIT: also, is it possible to be notified as well when you're quoted?

Both of these aren't very urgent, but y'know!

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

RogerRoger

@Kidfried Thanks for this. I wanted to say the same but, having only been here less than a year, I don't feel like I should be telling these good folk how to run their site.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic