Forums

Topic: Danganronpa

Posts 261 to 280 of 435

HallowMoonshadow

Playing it on the PS4 @Th3solution I found that the music is ridiculously loud compared to the voice volume. I had to stick the voices up full and the music to the first toggle after mute. Might have to rumage around through the audio settings on my tv to see if that'll help.

Besides that though it's playing fine and looks rather nice

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Th3solution Yeah, I bit the bullet and downloaded the audio DLC as well. It sounds fine once you do. I imagine not including it in the Vita version by default probably has something to do with saving space on the cartridge for physical buyers.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Words can't describe how much I love the mechanic where you walk into a room and just tear it apart looking for monocoins. ๐Ÿ˜‚ Makes the first-person exploration so much more fun, IMO.

@mookysam It took a while for me to warm up to Miu, until I realized the psychological reason for her constant crassness and vulgarity. She's still kind of gross, though.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

mookysam

@Ralizah Sadly for Miu by the time she becomes more sympathetic she's basically doomed. ๐Ÿ˜‚ I do admit to choosing her for the love hotel mostly because I had a grim curiosity about what awful things she would say.

The audio is pretty muffled on the Vita without the HQ audio pack. It's a large file but essential given the amount of spoken dialogue. The only thing I felt the Vita version missed out on was better FMVs as they're extremely compressed.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

HallowMoonshadow

Well I started chapter 1 in earnest. Getting to the first free time section in the game.

That was an interesting turn of events. I did absolutely awful at the platforming game thing. Both times I barely got past the first two obstacles

I... seem to have figured something out though. Or at least I've got a very reasonable educated guess coming up due to certain events.

(Potentially) Big Spoilers

Using the Mono-Mono machine I was given a piece of sheet music on my third go of the machine. There's only one person in the game who'd want sheet music.

So... Unless Kaede has a twin or a new character is getting thrown into the mix partway through whom also has a musical talent, I think it's reasonable to assume Kaede is getting switched out as the protagonist at some point or maybe there's a character switching mechanic at play?. Shuichi's the obvious choice for but maybe it could be Rantaro?

Not quite sure how I feel about that yet. We'll see how things progress though, I'm enjoying it and the cast none the less so far.

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

HallowMoonshadow

I got pretty far in Danganronpa v3 yesterday.

To the trial in fact and saved it during the trial (Which I only learnt you could do partway through Danganronpa 2).

However upon loading the save and getting back into the fray today the screen was completely black and I couldn't progress at all during the trial.

Luckily using the chapter select function (as the save I had was the only save I'd made up to that point) I was able to restart the trial, albeit from the beginning, rather then having to restart the game and thankfully it was fine.

I've now completed Chapter 1

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy That's an interesting way to get spoiled on one of the game's big twists. I didn't mess with the monomono machine that early on, and I've never been the type to try and guess mystery solutions before they happen, so I was kind of blindsided by it near the end of the trial.

And yeah, everyone does bad on that platforming game. I think it's actually technically possible to beat, but Monokuma really wants you to feel trapped.

HallowMoonshadow

... I... may've had like 300 or so monocoins to burn through @Ralizah after finding the smacking stuff around mechanic really cathartic

Ralizah wrote:

I've never been the type to try and guess mystery solutions before they happen

I'm not one of those people who tries actively guessing/yelling things during a movie or anything like that... But I do love to quietly work things out, see if a hunch pays off or not.

I was quite obsessed with cluedo as a kid. I even wanted to be a detective for the longest time. Working out murder mysteries really hits a sweet spot in this noggin of mine. It's not my fault I'm naturally inclined to being inquisitive! ๐Ÿ˜…

Regarding what's transpired... for now all I'll say is that it was rather wonderfully done regardless of what I might've figured out beforehand. In fact I think it made it all the more heartbreaking. I'm very curious to see what Sol and Kid think.

I loved all the new bells and whistles in the trials. The debate scrum I think was a pretty cool addition in particular. The mass panic debate was pretty neat too and the visual of a suspicious/guilty party being brought into the centre of the trial arena as the others sort've circle around was a neat addition to the visual flair of the debates

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy My Danganronpa time was truncated this weekend so Iโ€™m still stuck in the prologue. I look forward to catching up this week, I hope.

โ€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.โ€

Ralizah

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy If I'm being honest, I had to put the game down for a week or two after the ball dropped in that first trial. I was so angry. Clearly the game did its job and got me attached to the character quickly.

All of the trial mechanics and minigames in V3 are very extra, but I liked how they fleshed out the proceedings. Combine that with some of the stellar trials, and it easily tops my list of DR games in terms of the pure gameplay.

I think the smacking mechanic really justified the move back to the full first-person navigation of the original.

I forget: did you play the demo at all?

HallowMoonshadow

No worries @Th3solution. I'm probably not gonna get much of it played throughout the week so you'll have ample time to catch up from the prologue!

I'm not surprised you did so @Ralizah.

I did play the demo yes. I had to download it from my US account as it'd been delisted from the european store for some reason.

I forgot to mention (and it's somewhat related to your point about the first person exploration) but the hidden monokuma's are really quite devious this time around. It took me a good while to find a couple.

mookysam

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @Ralizah I have to admit that I didn't see the chapter one twist coming right away. It was a bold move to kill Kaede off, particularly given how likeable she was. It was a sad end to the chapter, made all the more emotional by the fact that as Clair de Lune is one of my favourite classical songs, and so I did shed a tear. As for those hidden Monokumaโ€™s Foxy I missed loads of them despite thinking I was doing quite well. It really is devious! ๐Ÿ˜‚.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Kidfried

So how are you all doing? I didn't really have a lot of time this week, but I tried to invest all my free time in gaming. Danganronpa specifically.

Yesterday night at 1 am I finally beat Chapter 1. Time for a recap...

Characters

Korekiyo: In DR2 I hated how a lot of new characters felt like variations on characters from DR1. On purpose I guess, but unlike many I didn't think DR2 had the strongest characters. So I hoped for something more in this game. Korekiyo is an immideate hit in my opinion. A student of anthropology (which I took some courses in myself too) is a real nice addition to the group, and of course... he just don't really feel right.

Angie: Boring character. So far didn't contribute anything to the chapter aside from annoying me by just naming the god for no reason. Not unlike some religious people I know, haha (no offence).

Kirumi: She is not too present so far, but I feel like she'll have a larger role to play in the upcoming chapters. Hope I get to see more of her.

Kokichi Oma: Fails like a bit of a failed attempt at Nagito so far. Hope for some character development, which was hinted at at the end of the first chapter.

Tsumugi: So far she felt really shoehorned in, having no interesting character traits or anything. The cospox stuff was just too dumb, even for Danganronpa.

K1BO: Cool character. At least a robot that is easily offended is a cool angle for a character. I hope some kind of plot twist or reveal will happen considering their identity, that would make it even better. I think most of my favorite moments were with K1BO involved.

Tenko: I don't know exactly, but I think she's the one that constantly hates males right? The fact that I'm not sure is probably a confirmation that I just haven't cared for this character at all so far.

Kaede: I REALLY REALLY REALL liked Kaede. So picture my desperation when I found out that she was the murdered. She was inspirational, but not without doubt, a very balanced character. Her thoughts were actually interesting, instead of the main characters from the previous games who were blank slates. I'm really bummed about this.

Kaito: Every Danganronpa needs to have a character like this. Is that a rule? Leon, Nekomaru, and now Kaito. Not very interesting so far.

Maki: I was an instant fan of Maki. A caregiver who doesn't like children? Interesting hook. I spent quite some free time with her and then found out that I really like her being both warm, but also very cold at the same time. Most interesting character so far.

Shuichi: Why do I need to be Shuichi from now on? From the very start of Chapter 1 I suspected him to be the killer, then during the investigation my suspicions were pretty much confirmed, and I was quite happy about it. So far I didn't think he had an interesting personality, so I was quite ok with the idea of him being gone after the first chapter. This game has to be really good if it is going to want to convince me that changing the main character was a good idea...

Ryoma: This character design. It's one of the greatest in the series. I really like looking at him. Also I can't imagine anyone not being a fan of Ryoma, he is funny, and not really caring about surviving at all allows him to see pretty bad-ass things.

Rantaro: Talking about characters that I loved to look at. First thing I thought when I saw Rantaro is "dang, he's really hot". Probably the best looking character in all of Danganronpa? I also liked his personality, although the "I don't know what my ultimate is" felt like something we didn't really need after two games already.

Himiko: Like Tsumugi this character feels like it was included to create some interesting murder case situation later on. Felt forced so far, and I think more could have been done with the character. Hopefully that will still happen.

Gonta: Personal fav. I know the character is a bit of a gimmick, especially the superstrength part, but his passion for wanting to be a gentleman comes accross as honest, and has made me a fan of him.

Miu: I probably don't need to explain why I just don't really care for this character, right? Shouldn't be in this game or any game at all.

Kidfried

Kidfried

@Ralizah Anything detective and I'm going to be guessing from the very first second about everything.

The twist with Kaede as the murderer was well done. Based on all the evidence from the investigation to me it was obvious that only Shuichi could have been the murderer from my point of view. So when Kaede started defending him with a lie in the trial, then it dawned on me that something was not right at all, because what was happening just didn't make sense.

However, it took me quite a while to start serious considering myself as the suspect. I paused the game, after Kaede said she was sure about Shuichi, and then just started writing stuff down and trying to figure out at that moment what I missed. My conclusion remained the same: only myself or Shuichi could have done it. I didn't want to believe Kaede was the murderer until after the game told me.

The game definitely took me by surprise there.

• I dont know what to think about the Lie mechanic. I just can't see it having any use instead of during the situation of Chapter 1. I hope it's something really optional, because I like the only-evidence-based approach.
  • The first chapter took me way longer than I expected it too. But at least the case was very well done. I remember being annoyed with the vent coming up each time in investigation and trial and thinking "quit about that dang thing, it doesn't have anything to do with the case" How wrong I was.
  • My expectation for Kaede as the murderer was different: she heard the killing music and then lost her self control (being a music Ultimate, I figured she might have been more moved by the music than the other characters), and then she killed Rantaro. She would not remember her own murder, because she was hypnotised by the music, thus only remembering sweeping the floor.
  • So far I like the game, but I liked the murder case more than the story itself, especially with the turn the plot has currently taken. If the murder cases are just super good (this one was), then I'm ok with a somewhat more lacklustre overarching plot.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy I agree with all your points. Have you gotten further into the game already? My goal for next Wednesday is to complete at least one more chapter, hopefully two. Depends on the length!

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

HallowMoonshadow

Lol those are certainly some opinions @Kidfried! ๐Ÿ˜…

As I put earlier in the thread I got a music sheet from the Mono-Mono machine so figured there might be a character switching mechanic or something was going to happen to Kaede. When she left the warehouse after handling the shot putt ball I noticed the curious wording of "Put all her things into her bag" and when we got to the actual murder... I realised it was her (Though I was a bit clueless on how she did it at that point).

It was all the more heartbreaking for me knowing I'd have to reveal Kaede by the end. The way border lights started shutting down and eventually flickered off before the switch to Shuichi was very well done I thought

Kidfried

Oh yea, and sorry for responding here only now. But I just didn't really feel comfortable reading anything here before finishing the first chapter.

Kidfried

Kidfried

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

There were definitely some great hints in the first chapter regarding Kaede. So the moment it became apparent it was her, then I started remembering all of these things. For me specifically her hesitation after Shuichi told her to come to the library from the classroom, but also her weird behavior at the start of the trial.

And of course her being sure Shuichi was innocent for no reason at all was very well done.

I went from "what a nonsense plot" during the whole of chapter 1 when I suspected Shuichi to "now it all makes sense" at the end of the chapter. Which is exactly what you want. I wonder what this game will do to try and surpass this trial...

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

HallowMoonshadow

To answer your question I hadn't made any progress in v3 during the week @Kidfried allowing you and sol the opportunity to catch up (Plus I didn't have a whole lot of time during the week anyway and I'd rather play it in a long session)

I literally just put the ps4 on to start playing it this morning (as I wasn't feeling Dark Souls) when I saw your post here for finally beating chapter 1.

Anyway here's my thoughts on the characters after Chapter 1

Korekiyo Shinguji: He's one very interesting individual... Haven't spent any time with him though yet and dunno if I will this chapter. He's unique to say the least.

Angie Yonaga: Nothing too exciting at the moment regarding her. Not as endearing as Aoi or Akane either. Wonder if she'll make it to the end like them?

Kirumi Tojo: I plan to spend some time with her during the second chapter free time (which was where I left off from). She's pretty cool so far.

Kokichi Oma: He's a mischievous little scamp and I have no idea what he's thinking or up to. I quite like him.

Tsumugi Shirogane: ... Yeah Cospox was a bit silly. She's ok. Nothing too exciting about her either though. Very middle of the road at the moment.

K1-Bo/Keebo: He's alright, he hasn't wowed me yet but he's doing fine so far.

Tenko "Degenerate Male" Chabashira: ... Probably my least favourite character out them all so far. Cute design but the weird faces she pulls, her personality and interactions with everyone aren't exactly winning me over

Kaito Momota: I like him so far. Not much else to say other then he's a bit of a goof.

Maki Harukawa: Cold-ish characters are very hit and miss with me... She seems ok so far though I guess. We'll see what happens.

Ryoma Hoshi: Yeah he's pretty cool. Dunno if I'll spend time with him this chapter as I plan to go with Kokichi and Gonta for the guys... But I like him.

Rantaro Amami: Shame he had to go first as I quite liked what little we saw of him. He seemed to know a little more then what he let on.

Himiko Yumeno: I like her insistance in that she's actually a mage and doing real magic instead of magic tricks. She's adorable to me (Plus I realised she's voiced by Chiaki's voice actress which only adds to the appeal)

Gonta Gokuhara: His backstory is basically Tarzan and Mowgli rolled together into one and I love him. His love of bugs is cute too.

Mui Iruma: ... I won't be surprised if Sol doesn't particularly like her either. She's... Pretty weird. I kinda both love and hate her vulgarity and crassness in equal measure. I spent time with her as Kaede and I might as Shuichi too

Kaede Akamatsu: Well... I already said everything I have to say really about her. Utterly gutted that we lost her. I was really excited to play as a female protagonist in the core Danganronpa games.

Shuichi Saihara: I don't have a massive opinion on him yet to be perfectly honest. He's ok...We'll see how it goes for our new protagonist. I'm disappointed but not against playing as him.

Ralizah

@Kidfried

I was worried about the lying mechanic as well, considering it seemed like it'd add needless layers of complexity to the already finely-tuned trial gameplay, but I don't think the way it's integrated will end up being too much of a problem for you.

I kind of suspected Shuichi as well, which is what the game wants you to do. He seems like a very deliberate parallel early on to both Sayaka and Nagito, the "buddy" character who ends up being a murderer.

I also shared your feelings about Miu early on. Without saying much, I do think she ends up being a good inclusion in the game, though.

I do agree that Rantaro is a looker, although he doesn't make my heart skip a beat in the same way that Nagito did.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

Playing the original Dark Souls? I really need to get around to my copy one day.

Edited on by Ralizah

Th3solution

Well friends, I think Iโ€™m playing this wrong ๐Ÿ˜…

Somehow Iโ€™ve been playing about 6 hours and Iโ€™m still in the middle of Chapter 1. Iโ€™ve been obsessing too much with exploring every nook and cranny and slapping items around the rooms (already have the trophy for slapping 1000 times ๐Ÿ˜›) scouring for monocoins โ€” which, as an aside, seem to be much more plentiful this time around. Iโ€™ve probably spent around 300-400 coins already at the monomachine and I still have 600 coins yet to spend. I have around 50% of the items already.
So, I just need to progress the story. Iโ€™ve had 4 free time sessions so I expect that there will be a trial soon... maybe?
Iโ€™m taking it slow and learning the map because I just want to make sure I cover all my bases once things start to go crazy.

Feel free to progress ahead. Iโ€™m shortly behind you. Hopefully will have end chapter impressions by tomorrow.

Edited on by Th3solution

โ€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.โ€

Kidfried

@Th3solution Hahahaha! Well, it's not "wrong" if you're having fun. But that's really funny. I haven't been exploring at all... I am probably the only one in this thread who hates the 'hit furniture' gimmick with a vengeance.

And I had the same as you, progressing so very slowly until the first murder happens. But believe me that the game will be much harder to put down when that has happened

Kidfried

Sorry, this topic has been locked.