Forums

Topic: Danganronpa

Posts 281 to 300 of 435

Kidfried

@Ralizah Yea, Nagito... he'll probably remain my favorite character of the series

Kidfried

HallowMoonshadow

Th3solution wrote:

I’ve probably spent around 300-400 coins already at the monomachine and I still have 600 coins yet to spend.

You can earn like 300+ from the trial if you do particularly well (I got 400 or so from the second trial) so you'll be absolutely swimming in coins @Th3solution 😅

Untitled

As for me I ended up beating chapter 2 yesterday. I might make some progress into chapter 3 (I stopped at the first instance of free time after exploration) tonight. We'll see how it goes.

Yeah I'm playing the Remastered version of Dark Souls for PS4 @Ralizah on the side of V3.

Not to brag or anything but I'm finding it quite the cakewalk to be perfectly honest (similarly to how I found Demon's Souls PS3 a breeze when I revisted it last November)

I think the faster paced gameplay and better AI of Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 have ended up mitigating the difficulty somewhat.

... Though of course having been through the entire series now and having that completely different mindset & certain expectations in place when tackling a Souls game, no doubt clouds my perception of the difficulty a bit

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Kidfried

I am playing Chapter 2 now. And I just wanted to put this here:

I don't trust Kirumi Tojo one bit. Right now I'm afraid she's the traitor, so I'm spending all my time with her.

It'll be interesting to read this back in a few chapters

Kidfried

Kidfried

Just finished chapter 2!

Kidfried wrote:

I don't trust Kirumi Tojo one bit. Right now I'm afraid she's the traitor, so I'm spending all my time with her.

It'll be interesting to read this back in a few chapters

Haha, this comment has aged nicely.

So far, this game succeeds far better even than previous games at throwing me off. The two murder cases so far had great twists and turns and I think the way they unveil in court is spectacular.

I also like how lying and trusting others has been integrated in this case. It has been done believably, and gives the story some more complexity as well. Lying to uncover the truth is just really wild. I know I was doubtful at first about how they would impact the game, but so far I'm not disappointed.

The writing in these games is just so all over the place. It goes from sometimes having super insightful moments, with nuggets of wisdom about real life, to badly written jokes or sexist remarks, but then the murders themselves have been meticulously crafted. I never know what to expect, which is cool, though some of the cringy parts... Like, please get an editor or something.

It has always been this way with Danganronpa for me, constantly switching between brilliant writing and terrible writing. What is your opinion on the game's writing?

Characters in review:

• Tsumugi, Tenko and Miu. Why are all three of them still alive. It's like they've been written specifically to make "dumb" remarks, so the main character can correct them and the player feels smart or something? They're badly written, have made no progression at all as characters, and are here gimmicks. Miu is an inventor, but she isn't even smart. Tenko is Aliso master, which means the way of the mind in harmony, but she is everything but that. Tsumugi... does she ever do or say anything memorable? I think so far they are among the worst characters in any DR game. Even the Kubs have better arcs.
  • Angie. Ok, I like where she as a character is going. So far this game has been more and more about trusting and believing others, instead of pure rationality. And someone who addresses everything to religion just fits in perfectly. She has grown on me... a lot.
  • Himiko. I can see something similar with her character as Angie, with regards to fitting in with the game's themes. I hope she can bring a bit more to the table than "magic exists, this is not a trick" on the future. Because she still isn't one of my favorites.
  • Maki, Korekiyo and K1bo are still great characters, and had some brilliant moments this chapter.
  • Kimochi Oma has been convincing me more and more. It's like he's both good and evil at the same time. I like how hard it is to actually understand his motivations. Often that is noted as a bad trait for a character, but it works for Kokichi, because the writers didn't mean for me as a player to be able to relate to him or understand him.
  • Gonta has his movements, but at other times it feels like his character is getting a bit tired. On the fence right now.
  • Kurumi. Although I liked her, I don't think she still had a lot to add to the story. So it's alright that she turned out to be the culprit.
  • Kaito. I'm up and down on him.
  • Shuichi? Way hotter without the cap. I'm still bummed about Kaede being dead, though.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

HallowMoonshadow

Ha ha I was waiting for you to finish the chapter before I said anything... Didn't wanna accidently give the game away regarding Kirumi @Kidfried! I didn't suspect her in the slightest though! I was gobsmacked that she turned out to be the killer for chapter 2!

Glad to see you've taken a shine to Kokichi this chapter too! The Maki reveal at the end from the scamp really took me by surprise too.

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Ralizah

@Kidfried I could do without some of the obvious localization additions in the script (like, I don't want to see Trump referenced in my Japanese game), but I also don't think the tone would be the same without the occasionally off-kilter humor or frankly bizarre characterizations.

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Glad you guys seem to be enjoying how the mysteries are developing thus far. It mostly continues to get better. In particular, one late game trial is easily my favorite in the series in terms of both the stakes involved and the constant sense of unpredictability to it.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

HallowMoonshadow

I've saved it juuuust as the third trial is about to start @Ralizah ... Tenko just had to redeem herself in my opinion before she was bumped off didn't she? 😂 Her getting killed during an already ongoing investigation really threw me off-kilter as well.

No fudging clue why whomever's done it has done it. (Or how for that matter either). Tsumugi's giving me shifty as hell vibes at the moment and Keebo ain't exactly in clear waters either... I don't trust this cast of characters at all compared to the previous two! 😅

Kidfried

@Ralizah I get where you're coming from, on the other hand the Japanese game has a lot of references people here wouldn't understand at all. If you ask me personally I'd be totally fine with a more literal translation and a few jokes going way over my head, but I also understand why they did what they did.

Also, Danganronpa has quite a few Western references anyway (I remember a Godfather reference from V3's prologue for instance), so most of the time I don't even know whether a certain sentence was there in the original or not.

Kidfried

PSVR_lover

Westernization of Japanese games is an art. To me, Dangaronpa’s translation is excellent, I got all the jokes and everything made sense. Hats off to the team that did it.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

Ralizah

@PSVR_lover It's unusually high quality work for NISA, which has a reputation for badly messing up translations of games they localize.

Th3solution

@Kidfried @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @Ralizah
Well peeps, I’m only now finishing the first trial 😅
It was way longer than I expected.
I went back to read the group’s early Ch1 reactions and I suppose my impressions are exactly in line with what you all thought.

I suspected Shuichi initially (well, after briefly falling for the Gonta red herring) and then was really put out when it became apparent
Kaede was the culprit. And the worst part is how her motives were so pure, trying to save the group and all. Then to sacrifice herself and not take advantage of the first kill perk, just to try to flush out the mastermind in the trial, it’s all so sad. I’m quite disappointed as well to not have her around. ...Unless there’s a Junko-like plot twist again where we see her again.
I actually like Shuichi though. The High Schooler Ultimate Detective trope is overplayed in the series and in Japanese games in general, but it really fits here. Shuichi is charming enough to carry the game I think, even if he’s no Kaede.
As for the new trial mechanics, I think I’ll like them. Psyche Taxi didn’t show up and that’s the one that I disliked in the demo.
As for characters - I still like my avatar girl Kirumi, although we really don’t have much background on her yet, but she’s so devoted; I can’t imagine she’ll resort to killing. Also a fan of Maki and her strange split personality traits of being the ultimate child caretaker and yet hating children. Miu is... well, all the crassness for shock value is prone to get old if she doesn’t add some depth to her personality, but I think she might improve since there is an allusion that she does have this weird vulnerability as well and appears to be compensating for something. Angie’s annoying but I think it’s so cute how she bobs her head back and forth 😂. As for the guys, Kokichi is about to get on my last nerve with his antics and attempts at manipulating everyone and I hope he’s next to go. My favorite of the boys is probably Ryoma because he’s so pragmatic. And he seems like he’s going to end up killing someone for a good cause, like Kaede did. We’ll see.

Overall it’s a great game and I’m really enjoying it. I’m quite impressed. Sorry I’m running a bit slow. Every time I sat down to play, something came up. Vita battery dies, urgent phone call, a sudden headache ... always something. 😅

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HallowMoonshadow

Oh congratulations @Th3solution on finally beating chapter 1!

The execution scene for Kaede was honestly the worst one I've had to watch in the series. Thank goodness Monodam pushed Monokid under that piano lid and caused complete mood whiplash there or might've had to put this down for a while.

Pysche taxi shows up in the next trial... It plays a bit better I think then a demo? It's not the best minigame though.

I'm still at the start of the third trial myself. Gonna go through that tonight hopefully.

Th3solution

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Oh yeah, and you reminded me i wasn’t heartbroken when Monokid was pushed into the piano spikes. He was pretty annoying. In fact all the Monocubs are irritating. But I guess that’s the point. But I’m already having convulsions everytime I hear “Rise and Shine Ursine!” And “So long, bear well!” 🤮 😂

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

HallowMoonshadow

I pawsitively adore the bear puns @Th3solution

I even hum the sound of music every time they say "So long bear well"... I just can't help myself! 😂

I quite like Monodam of the Monkubs myself. That's honestly it though as like yourself I find the others fairly irritating.

Ralizah

After multiple games of bear puns in various Danganronpa titles and Zero Jr's incessant rabbit puns in Virtue's Last Reward, I'm very over the 'animal villain making cringy animal puns' thing, lol.

nessisonett

@Ralizah That’s true, I played Danganronpa after Virtue’s Last Reward so I did think it was very similar.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@PSVR_lover @nessisonett @Ralizah @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy It does impress me how these things can be translated over because although I’ve no knowledge of the Japanese language, I’m sure bear puns don’t translate directly.

nessisonett

@Th3solution Yeah, you have to admit that they have a koalaty translation team.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@nessisonett Oh boy. I guess I was asking for that. 😂

Sorry, this topic has been locked.