Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 2,161 to 2,180 of 2,292

LN78

@RogerRoger "Severance" is two down my "to watch" list after "Seinfeld" and "The Americans". I've heard nothing but praise.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 It's a masterpiece. Nothing is flawless, except maybe Severance. I'd be very interested to read what you make of it. Can't wait for its second season.

I went through The Americans recently. It's so freakin' bleak, but it's also oddly compelling.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger I've heard "The Americans" pushes up against the "what's acceptable on network TV" barrier with quite the force. My uncle recommended it to me when I mentioned that "Tinker Tailor" was one of my favourite movies from the last few years, so I'm quite intrigued.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Yeah, that it does. Despite watching it alone, I felt very self-conscious and embarrassed at times, and often had to look away from the screen. It's a testament to the strength of the show's concept that I made it through 'til the end. That and the central performances, which were always very strong.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

I just spent the day re-watching The Book of Boba Fett, only to switch my computer on and see the news about Nichelle Nichols passing away. Immediately remembered that I'd found this picture whilst randomly browsing a while back, and had saved it, because it made me laugh so much.

Untitled

The caption when I found it read, "Hailing frequencies closed, b****!"

What an amazing, incomparable badass she was (and will always be). May she rest in peace.

Making It So Since 1987

cheetahman91

Finally got around to watching one of the more interesting Star Trek films, The Motion Picture. I avoided this one because I heard it wasn't good, but I saw the director's cut on Paramount+ and I couldn't resist. Here's my thoughts:

I can see why some people detest this film. For me it's weird because it feels like a Star Trek film, but at the same time it doesn't. I'll explain. The plot is cerebral and feels very Star Trek. It's about a cloud that seemingly destroys anything that it comes in contact with. Naturally, the Enterprise investigates. Unfortunately, it's missing much of the humor and character dynamics that The Original Series is known for. The acting in general felt very restrained. The only character who wasn't affected was Spock, he's honestly one of the more emotional characters. Bones had some funny dialog, but he also felt like a step down from his TOS characterization. Then there's poor Kirk. They don't even let Shatner ham it up, which is strange for TOS standards. It felt like they were trying to do a 2001 without the cryptic plot. This is especially apparent in the pacing, which moves at a glacial pace. I liked looking at the nice visuals too, but can we get a move on already? People also complain about the lack of action, but it's not like every TOS episode was brimming with action either. It all reminds me of another Robert Wise film, The Andromeda Strain. It also has a slow pace and restrained acting, although there is some excitement near the end. Fortunately regarding Star Trek, these issues are rectified in the sequel. What's also interesting is the plot is awful similar to a TOS episode, "The Changeling".

On a more positive note, I thought the visuals were exceptional. The director's cut adds in some CGI, and I thought it was extremely well integrated. It's a good thing it has great visuals too, because you'll be looking at them an awful lot without anything else happening. Also get ready to see plenty of shots of the Enterprise crew staring in amazement. The film score was great, going for a more epic feel. I can see why the main theme was reused for The Next Generation, why fix something that isn't broken? What also helped make this movie into something more is when it was revealed what was controlling the cloud. All in all, this is a bizarre beast. While it's a great piece of sci-fi, it's also a mediocre representation of TOS. I still liked it even with it's flaws. 7.5/10

@RogerRoger A real shame. RIP

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

RogerRoger

@cheetahman91 Thanks for sharing your thoughts about The Motion Picture, a movie which I utterly adore, despite its obvious flaws. I think somebody, somewhere, made the decision to try and turn Star Trek into some kind of prestige property, and that's partly what makes the movie feel so special in some ways, even though it abandons the preceding TV show's legacy in others. Despite all the valid criticisms, I do feel like it was responsible for opening the door to more serious Star Trek going forward, and some of the weight of what followed wouldn't have been possible without The Motion Picture taking a gamble and trying to present something a little more "sweeping epic" in scope.

I'm not a fan of the Director's Cut, but then I've only ever seen it on DVD, back when it was forcibly included in a set without alternative. Now that I have the theatrical version on Blu-Ray, I might be more forgiving, and am interested in checking out this fancy 4K restoration project someday. Alas, as a Brit, I have to wait, either for Paramount+ to get its act together (it's locked to 1080p here) or for the 4K Blu-Rays to be released in a couple of months. Am looking forward to it, either way!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

After some confusing wrangling of Paramount + which is an awful, awful service that I'll be cancelling before my 30 day trial ends, I've finally started watching SNW

I'm about half way through and loving it so far. Brilliant cast. I'm hoping I can work out where I am in my watchthrough of TOS with my partner so we can pick that back up afterward after a 2 year break

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Thanks for confirming my Paramount+ fears. I've no idea why they've tied themselves to Sky for their UK rollout, even for the separate app, because it just tanks the visual quality. I'm bracing myself for when I wanna watch new Star Trek: Prodigy episodes. It's gonna be rough.

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger you can get it without Sky, as I don't have sky. There is just no app for it on Xbox or PlayStation or LG TVs apparently. It didn't work on web browser on PS4, Xbox or Wii U and the mobile app won't cast to my TV. I've ended up using a web browser that's on my TV.

Had the same issue when I tried Britbox a couple years ago. Just awful but I think they've since released apps but I won't be going back to it anyway.

What did you think of SNW in the end? I finished it earlier and thought it was wicked

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Oh yeah, sorry, it's more to do with the fact that Paramount have partnered with Sky with regards the service's underlying technology. Even if you subscribe to Paramount+ separately, it's still delivered via Sky's sub-par infrastructure, which is why we don't get 4K yet, because Sky can't do 4K. I'm sure they'll work something out eventually but, for now, I'm just sorry you had such a hard time with it.

Oh, I'm not interested in Strange New Worlds. I hated how Discovery had to be all about Spock, and how it was unnecessarily anchored in the original series timeframe, so I couldn't care less about yet another attempt to reinterpret overused characters and / or recapture the essence of a show that I never really had any special attachment to regardless (as I grew up with The Next Generation and Voyager, so I've got Picard and Prodigy to hold my attention anyway). When I get the odd month to catch up with Prodigy, I might give Strange New Worlds a try, but I'm in no rush.

All that whining aside, I'm glad you enjoyed it, and that it ended well for you!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger haha fair play to ya. I know you are no fan of proto-Spock! It is a bit weird that neither Quinto nor Peck actually sound like Spock. Peck is closest in his mannerisms which makes sense because he is Prime universe but both of them just sound like standard Vulcans and don't actually have Spock's accent.

They actually did an "Into Darkness" on another TOS era episode in SNW. But they handled it well and it was a good episode unlike... Well you know my feelings about Into Darkness!

I've resumed my watchthrough of Trek which has been on hold for a couple years. I decided to watch some key episodes from Season 1 that related to SNW and are followed up in later TOS episodes/movies and will then continue from where we left off. I hope we don't fall off the wagon again! Really excited to get to TNG and DS9 as I haven't watched them through in almost a decade.

Ahh fair enough, didn't know that about P+ and Sky. If it's anything like Now TV then I can see people will run for the hills. Now TV is only good for its content. I'm not too miffed now because I haven't paid any money, I'm just on a 30 day trial which I'll cancel.

It's always been my opinion that streaming services took off because they are super easy to use. Much easier than physical discs and torrents and they used to have a very competitive price point and there were only a few of them. The moment they introduce any unreasonable barrier to entry whether its decreased functionality or an inflated price is when some people will revert to blu rays/DVDs and torrenting

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

LN78

@ralphdibny @RogerRoger Shamefully breaking my vow to eschew any and all Kurtzman related "Trek" in the wake of the utterly absymal, borderline offensive second season of "Picard", I watched the first four episodes of "SNW" via a Paramount+ free trial by way of the Apple TV free trial - if that makes sense! As a service it's singularly unimpressive - no 4K/HDR/Atmos are big no-no's for premium subscription services in this day and age and that's before you factor in the fairly unimpressive slate of content that's currently available - apart from "SNW" I caught up on "Beavis and Butthead" a couple of "South Park" specials and struggled through three episodes of their laughable "Godfather" behind the scenes drama "The Offer" before my free time ran out. Apart from some wonky acting from the supporting cast and tons of (ultimately annoying and out of place) MCU-esque snarky,quippy dialogue "SNW" is actually (shockingly) not bad at all, which is to say about a million times better than "Discovery" and a zillion times better than "Picard" - which is without exaggeration one of the worst TV shows that I've ever seen. Having said that, I'm more convinced than ever that the show is going to be a backdoor in to a full on remake of "TOS" which is a course of action (outright cultural vandalism) that I can't possibly condone. I'm glad that new era of "Trek" is finally putting out episodes of a show that rise above the quality of a raging dumpster fire (Anson Mount really is brilliant) but I think I've seen enough and I'm certainly not going to be subscribing to the service in order to see more.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

ralphdibny

@LN78 I'll refrain from any conversation on Picard as I've yet to watch it.

Apple TV probably seems like the easiest way to watch P+ as I am guessing there is an actual apple app to watch it through. It makes no sense that a normal Paramount plus sub is limited to a few devices if you don't have apple or sky to pair it with

I've watched the two south parks. Pretty decent but I think I preferred the covid 2 parter. I need to watch the Beavis and Butthead movie still. I'll probably check out Halo before.my sub goes as well.

I do wonder if the quippy dialogue is just a product of its time to be honest. Most TV shows are like that nowadays just like most TV shows had DS9/Voyager style dialogue in the 90s/00s. I think I generally stay for the stories, characters and relationships in Trek but there is always an adjustment needed every time we enter a new era of the show.

I'm hoping they don't remake TOS and I'm also hoping they don't spin off any more alternate universes to do so, at least beyond a couple of episodes. I think any more "permanent" timelines than the Prime and Kelvin universes would just be too much for "Star" Trek. I could handle and probably enjoy a "Time" Trek style show but I think a "Multiverse" Trek might be pushing it

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

LN78

@ralphdibny I haven't noticed "Marvel Snark" being conspicuous in any other TV shows if I'm being honest - what were you thinking of in particular? Do yourself a favour if you value the character of Jean-Luc Picard (as he was portrayed in the "TNG" show,anyway - the movie version is a different beast) at all and avoid his eponymous show at all costs. It makes "Discovery" look like Ibsen. Oh and you can bet your bottom dollar they're going to be remaking - or multiversing - "TOS".It's far too "problematic" in the modern era to be left alone and Kurtzman and his crew of incompetents will sink to any levels to churn out more content. For evidence, witness the positively sacrilegious rumours (almost certainly true) about the plans for upcoming (thankfully final) third season of "Picard".

Edited on by LN78

LN78

ralphdibny

@LN78 ahh it's cool, I'll make my own mind up when I watch it. Haven't seen any rumours/spoilers and I would really really like to try and keep it that way. I want to go in unencumbered. I don't really have ill feelings towards the Kurtzman era Trek. I'm just glad it's back on TV again so I'm looking forward to seeing what the Enterprise and Voyager crews have been up to since their shows ended! It seems to be marmite though. I've seen some people hate it and some people love it. I've only seen the first two series of Discovery but I thought they were wicked.

I suppose TOS can seem a little dated at times but it's a product of its era. It's still a brilliant show and I am glad it's part of the canon.

I meant just like every American/Canadian TV show from the last 15-20 years. Obvs I'm exaggerating when I say every but I've seen a lot of TV shows that have this kind of chirpy banter that straddles the line between cringe and endearing. Criminal Minds, Scorpion, the Arrowverse come to mind. Star Trek just has a more cinematic aesthetic to it that elevates the script and performances to what I think you mean by marvel snark. Even House is guilty of it in some respects (as much as I love it) but at least it becomes self aware and points out the tropes of TV dramedies.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

LN78

@ralphdibny You think "Discovery" is a good TV show? That's the end of that conversation, then.🖖.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

LN78

Just got my shipping notification for the 4K blu-ray Special Edition of the "Star Trek:The Motion Picture" Director's Cut. The reviews have all been positively glowing - nice to see this once much maligned movie getting the praise it deserves. It'll be great to be able to finally replace my much loved (and bizarrely labelled) DVD copy.
PS I left a few thoughts about "Star Trek II" which I saw on the big screen last night over in the movie topic.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic