Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 2,141 to 2,160 of 2,292

RogerRoger

@LN78 Well, as far as I'm concerned, that list is one heck of an emotional rollercoaster! Whilst I might've found the placements of Enterprise and DS9 deeply disheartening (for opposite reasons) I was equally delighted to see Prodigy placed so high, and championed as the best of the modern shows.

Definitely been designed to generate clicks on a slow news day, though. One wonders how edgy they'll make tomorrow's equivalent Star Wars list for May the 4th.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

It is total clickbait. The lack of respect that "Enterprise" gets really does irk me - I like it significantly more than "Voyager". Besides which "Picard" is the worst thing ever made by human hands so it should definitely be at the bottom. đź––.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 I've been considering an Enterprise re-watch lately. It's been a while and, at only four seasons, it wouldn't take as long to work through, either.

A copy of Lalaland Records' final Star Trek soundtrack just arrived, so it might get me in the mood.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger Is that the remastered Goldsmith "The Motion Picture' album? Nice.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 No, alas! Since I already have a pretty comprehensive The Motion Picture album, I put my wallet's needs first on that one.

What I've just grabbed is the last of the TV soundtracks from the Berman era. They've been doing some hefty four-disc sets from each separate show for a while now, and there were always a bunch of oft-requested episodes that went unrepresented, so this is a final "best of the rest" compilation (with a few unreleased cues from The Motion Picture thrown in for good measure, funnily enough).

The problem is, knowing that it's the last, there are still two of my favourite episodes missing! But at this stage, given the amount of music they've made available, I'm not really in a position to complain. Not when my Voyager playlist is already over ten hours long, even without the new tracks!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

Proof, if proof were needed, that Star Trek: Prodigy is reading from The Clone Wars playbook.

Back when this got announced, I immediately thought of Republic Heroes, and then along comes a trailer with gameplay which looks near-identical.

Although the official description includes some details that sound unique, at least.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

If I remember right, this served as a general Sci-Fi thread when applicable. I’ve realised that there’s not really anywhere appropriate to talk about the Doctor Who audio plays, they aren’t really a TV show after all!

I’ve listened to the first 12 in the Main Range of audio plays now and they’ve been really fantastic so far. Properly varied too. There’s only a couple that I’d say were a bit slow and they were just as good as the mid-table episodes of Classic Who. I can already see why Six is seen as having his full potential realised in these, he’s a proper tour de force with the right script. His companion Evelyn is great too and it’s a nice change of pace to have an older companion. All of the returning companions have been noticeably better as well, Turlough, Peri and Mel specifically. It won’t be long till I get to the Eighth Doctor stories which I’m definitely looking forward to.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Glad to see that, for the most part, they deserve their sterling reputation. I think the Eighth Doctor ones are the most treasured simply because they represent what might've been, although I'm sure they're still well-written and well-acted in their own right.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

Well… the latest Doctor Who audio I listened to was something! It’s up there with the best stories in the entire show’s history and it’s gloriously weird. The Holy Terror is another Sixth Doctor story except the companion is Frobisher, a shapeshifter apparently from the comics in Doctor Who Magazine. A shapeshifter who likes to take the form of a penguin with a New York accent! It’s definitely a concept that works better in comic/audio form than would ever work on TV but I loved him all the same. I’m a bit gutted that he’s only in two stories as he’s great fun. The story in this one is also brilliant too though, even minus the talking penguin. It’s a witty, cutting take on religion that’s hugely reminiscent of Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett’s silly farcical style. But then it’s also hugely dark! It’s a hard sell but if I was to recommend a single story so far, it would be this.

nessisonett

Well it happened, the first Big Finish Doctor Who audio story to be rubbish! Sword of Orion is the first Cybermen story they did and is a plodding retread of 80s murderathons. After McGann’s first story being so good, this was a real step down. It’s literally just “Doctor goes to future ship, guest cast all die, Doctor leaves in Tardis”. The only way is up I guess.

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Well, I suppose they could style it out as an "homage" to those old, rubbish storylines...?!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@LN78 Thanks for the laugh! The attention to detail and overall authenticity is frightening!

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger So glad you enjoyed it. I don't know what you've heard, but a couple of my friends have said that "Strange New Worlds" is good. Like really good - which is slightly depressing (and just my luck!) given my vow to never watch anything Kurtzman related ever again. On a similar tack, have you watched "The Orville" since it returned a few weeks back (or at all)? And honestly, put your antipathy for Ronald D.Moore aside and please give "For All Mankind" a chance - it's wonderful (positive, humanistic, progressive and really well written) and I think you'll love it.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Yeah, I've also heard similarly positive things about Strange New Worlds. I'm not interested in the show's premise in the slightest, but it's inevitable that I'll be getting Paramount+ someday (for new Star Trek: Prodigy episodes and that Knuckles spin-off show they've announced) and so it's possible I'll wander into it, but I'm not in any hurry. Whatever the actual quality of the show, if you're not somebody who's up for a redesigned, recast original series, then I doubt it'll appeal much anyway.

I haven't watched The Orville yet, with an emphasis on yet. It's on Disney+ but when I saw that new episodes were coming, I told myself to hold back and wait until I can binge the lot.

Thanks for the recommendation regarding For All Mankind. I've seen its first two minutes. Somebody sat me down and told me to watch it, and after twenty-odd seconds I turned around and said, "Bet you the twist is that it's a Soviet moon landing." At which point said somebody revealed that it was the latest venture from He Who Must Not Be Named, and I walked out.

But your endorsement uses all the right words, so I'll never say never. Cheers!

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger It's not the twist - it's the inciting incident that the entire alternate universe of the show is predicated on. But good on you for giving it an entire two minutes

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Yeah, I know. I was being facetious. I'm a nightmare to watch new shows with!

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger All I can say is you're missing an absolute treat. Ignore that RDM is even involved. He has evolved out of his edgy grimdark phase.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Like I said, I appreciate the recommendation, and will keep it in mind. Will definitely be back on AppleTV at some point anyway (for Severance, which is perfection) so I'll be able to give it a chance.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic