Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 2,281 to 2,292 of 2,292

ralphdibny

@LN78 hopefully but I normally buy from HMV because Amazon always destroys the slip covers and they don't do a lot that's not full price unfortunately

See ya!

LN78

After last week's overly busy affair, "Picard" returned with a stagey, stripped back bottle episode - heavy on exposition and dialogue but low on action and expensive CGI. Another nice Berman era cameo and a spectacular bit of (literally) schizophrenic acting from Brent Spiner were highlights but some frankly ridiculous plot armour brandished during a pretty convoluted chase scene and a disappointing back story/motive for (an all over the shop) Vadic rather tarnished the proceedings - the fact that last week's cliffhanger was barely alluded to, let alone resolved also made it smack a little of filler. That's two episodes on the spin in the minus column for me - we're heading into the business end of the season now, so I can see things picking up again next week.
PS A Starfleet Academy set "Discovery" spin-off is evidently in the works. Sounds a lot like the oft mentioned "Section 31" show has been quietly shelved - I'm sure Michelle Yeoh winning an Oscar had nothing to do with that.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

GreatAuk

The latest episode was very good.

I'm overall pleased with this season and it is orders of magnitude better than the first two seasons.

GreatAuk

LN78

@GreatAuk I'm very nervous about the outcome of the Jack Crusher/red door storyline but seeing the entire TNG crew back together was great and seeing the end of the unbelievably annoying Vadic was a massive relief. She was awful.

LN78

LN78

Well, I suppose like resisting (what a shock)The Borg, expecting a season of Kurtzman led "Star Trek" not to be subsumed by outright stupidity was indeed futile - as I suspected, the solution behind the Jack Crusher/red door mystery box plot was not only ridiculous, but unnecessarily contrived. And they unceremoniously ganked the brilliant Captain Shaw. And they just had to bring back the (previously completely wrecked/destroyed) Enterprise-D. Tune in next week to see how one antiquated ship and its geriatric crew defeats the entire Borg assimilated Starfleet armada! Yup, "Picard" blew it spectacularly this week. Such a shame.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

LN78

A few strings were tugged even in the heart of this cynical old sod - "PIcard" finished out its run in a spectacular, stupid ("they hid the cube inside Jupiter's gasses!"), sentimental (of course the power of love saves the day) and generally satisfying (far more so than the abysmal "TNG" movies) fashion. Probably a six out of ten for the season, all (good) things considered.
PS There's a nice surprise in the closing credits!

Edited on by LN78

LN78

colonelkilgore

So while it was not perfect… (what is?) the missus and I just watched the final season of Picard… and I frikkin’ loved it! Although I’ve never really considered myself a trekky… as a huge sci-fi fan I always watched all the Star Trek shows… and I guess I must’ve forgotten quite what a big impact The Next Generation actually had on an 11 year old me… coz the nostalgia-feels that season 3 engendered were seismic.

As I said, it was never gonna be perfect, whatever that looks like… but I found it a surprisingly emotional and fulfilling experience. The missus (who has always hated trek) loved it too… and I’m currently chipping away at her resistance (which is obviously futile) to watch the The Best of Both Worlds double ep followed by Star Trek: First Contact.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

@colonelkilgore Real glad you enjoyed Picard so much. If it wasn't perfect, then it was as close as I think we're ever gonna get (without assimilation, of course). The genius of it was that they didn't forget to write actual, three-dimensional characters whilst chasing all of the nostalgia notes. In a year already packed with highlights, so many of its moments were up there for me. Can't wait for its physical release.

Here's hoping that, if your wife does relent and agree to watch some of the older stuff, she enjoys it!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

@RogerRoger glad you enjoyed it too bud, as I know it can be a lot tougher as a hardened fan of any particular ip to get that kind of satisfaction from a conclusion. Hope the physical copy drops soon for ya 👊

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

@colonelkilgore September, apparently! I just Googled and it got announced a few days ago!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

"Star Trek:Prodigy" has been cancelled. Both the fans of that show must be gutted. 🤣.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

ralphdibny

Finally got around to watching both Picard 1-3 and Lower Decks 1-3. Absolutely loved both shows. Might actually try and get around to Discovery 3&4 and Prodigy in the next few weeks. Will probably watch SNW 2 a bit sooner

See ya!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic