Forums

Topic: Corona Virus Panic/Discussion Thread

Posts 2,121 to 2,140 of 2,454

nessisonett

@Octane Yeah, our shops have been open but we’re staying in tier 3 lockdown so pubs and such are staying closed for now. Which is fine by me, to be honest I’ve never been a fan of being packed into a pub.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

R1spam

@nessisonett I've seen some of the clips of George Square. Mental, christ knows what was going through your head to be there. I'm taking advantage of tier 2 life and have a table in a beer garden booked for 2 hrs tomorrow. I quite liked a busy pub for a big match or something before but I'm not ready for being inside with tons of folk without a mask, even after being vaccinated.

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

nessisonett

@R1spam I can only dream of tier 2 life! At least you’re even getting to a beer garden, I don’t mind a nice table outside. It’s more the packed inside that I’ve never really been a fan of even before all this.

zupertramp

@Ralizah yeah variants are a concern. Though I'm more worried about places like India than our red states. I have a neighbor, for example, who proudly appeared on a Newsmax segment as a Trump supporter but she still wears a mask because she lives with her elderly mother and Covid just hit way too hard here to pretend it's nothing. Point being there's still a bunch of people taking precautions mixed in with all those with social responsibility deficit disorder so that the risk is mitigated in spite of the latter's best efforts.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

Th3solution

@zupertramp “Social Responsibility Deficit Disorder” 😂. Haven’t heard the term but I like the name. It appears to be an incurable condition. 😛

I’m surprised how calm COVID seems to be, all things considered, with steep drops in cases over the last few months. To me it’s a testament to vaccines and masking/distancing working. It’s amazing how many people have forgotten how awful things were in the US just 6 month ago.

I also find it curious the labeling of those wearing masks as ‘living in fear’ as if we’re trembling in our boots and cowering in a corner weeping over the situation. It’s seems a bit of a hyperbolic description of doing a simple act to try to help out your fellow human beings. Are there people who are still holed up and paranoid to go outside — I’m sure there are, but the average guy at the store with a mask on is not what I would call ‘living in fear’. I find that description a tad pretentious.

People forget that mask wearing is primarily done to prevent the wearer from unconsciously spreading the virus to others. There is some benefit to the wearer in reducing inhalation but you really need the high grade medical ones for that, if I’m not mistaken. Standard face coverings are mostly an act of goodwill and decency to show your love and concern for others. Sadly, it seems many people lack that humanistic quality. But I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and just assume they are misguided and oblivious to the logic behind the masks. Which, if so, is mostly a failure on the leadership end. ...Surely it’s not simply that 50% of the population is completely self-centered.

And yeah, I’ve caught myself with my mask on in the car and chuckled at how silly I must look to others. But it is certainly an issue of convenience and just forgetting I even have it on (because let’s be real, it’s not that uncomfortable). It is most definitely not a sign of me palpitating in terror because I fear that I can’t dare take my mask off in my car because COVID could be lying wait to attack me. 😆.

But people can think what they want of me. Because, as I say — I largely do what I do for them. Chances of me dying from COVID are small, but the person next to me in line at Wal-Mart, they may not look so healthy. Whether they recognize my efforts or not is on them, and honestly I don’t really care if they do. If they look down on me for doing something to try to help them, it still doesn’t diminish the act of goodwill itself. I can at least look in the mirror at myself and know that I’m doing what I feel is an appropriate civic duty.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

zupertramp

@Th3solution all very well said.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nessisonett

I’ll be getting my vaccination soon! Sent off my details and they’ll be confirming my appointment in the coming days. Apparently they’re doing everyone over 18 here now due to rising cases.

zupertramp

@nessisonett cool cool. let us know when it is and how it goes.

R1spam

Well it's a shocker folks, the UK prime minister is an incompetent buffoon who has a pathological aversion to telling the truth, would quite happily let 1000s of people die to avoid additional expenditure and would about-face on any decision depending on what he thought public opinion would tolerate. I'm not sure I needed someone as deeply unreliable as Dominic Cummings to confirm that for me! I don't know what is more depressing, that it's true and our present government is a new low point in our history or that the vast majority of people already know and couldn't give a toss! Should also be some soul searching within the UK opposition parties, to not be ahead in any opinion poll says it all.

XBOX: Placebo G

nessisonett

@R1spam Might just go down to the borders and start sawing. Start a new island instead 😂

zupertramp

So I'm in the process of moving to a new state which has required some travel and boy oh my has it been an experience in regards to covid precautions. Truth be told I'm having to relocate to Oklahoma temporarily and holy 💩 these people just do not care. I'm actually scared to put on my mask in public for fear of being the victim of some politically motivated hate crime. Strange times trying to navigate all this. It's exhausting and I really don't understand why ideological battle lines needed to be drawn over masks. I'll be glad when it's all over.

Edited on by zupertramp

RogerRoger

@zupertramp Over the past couple days, our (UK) news services have been carrying the clip of the Southwest Airlines passenger punching a flight attendant over your (US) federal mask mandate. Seems like parts of your country are a proper powder-keg over this issue, so stay safe out there.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Jimmer-jammer

@LieutenantFatman “The established systems for naming and tracking genetic lineages of the coronavirus will remain in use by scientists and in scientific research, as these “convey important scientific information”, the WHO said in a press release on 31 May. But the new Greek alphabet-based labels will “help with public discussion”...”

In other words, “Y’all are too dumb and ignorant to discuss scientific facts without turning them into a way to hate each other.” 😂

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

nessisonett

@LieutenantFatman It probably says a lot that I honestly had no idea there even was a UK variant. Well seeing they barely talked about that one on the news.

LieutenantFatman

@Jimmer-jammer
Sounds about right! Some people will use anything they feel might justify their endeavours to spread hate.

@nessisonett
I remember it being mentioned briefly, but yes, there didn't seem to be much interest.

Edited on by LieutenantFatman

LieutenantFatman

Octane

@nessisonett @LieutenantFatman It was all over the news over here from December till March, and it was the reason why flights from the UK were suspended for a short while as well.

Octane

LieutenantFatman

@Octane
Aha, fair enough, shows how much attention I pay to flights to and from the UK.

LieutenantFatman

Voltan

Just got my 2nd jab. Hoping for the same reaction as with the 1st (which was just a sore arm).

Voltan

Sorry, this topic has been locked.