Sony Promises Unparalleled PlayStation Plus Experience as Market Conditions Push Up Prices

Platform holder confirms hike

Sony has confirmed that PlayStation Plus prices will increase in Europe starting 1st September. In a statement sent to us, the platform holder pointed out that it will be hiking the cost of one month and three month memberships in the UK, though there are no plans to change the annual subscription. We've reached out for firm pricing information, but all we know at present is that the quarterly option will increase from £11.99 to £14.99. We were told by a SCEUK representative that the changes are "different in some markets", so it may just be the three month sub that's increasing in mainland Europe, as originally reported.

"We are dedicated to bringing PlayStation Plus members the best possible service with the most compelling content," a statement sent to us from SCEUK said. "From 1st September we will be increasing the price of monthly and three month PlayStation Plus subscriptions in line with market conditions. We will continue to invest in PlayStation Plus to ensure an unparalleled experience, featuring the best quality games and features."

There's no indication that this change will be occurring in North America or Asia, so it seems limited to Europe for now. It strikes us that the manufacturer's trying to nudge gamers towards the annual option, though that's purely speculation on our part. Either way, the timing of this announcement couldn't possibly be worse, as the PlayStation Network continues to be flaky for most members. We're told that the platform holder is investing heavily in the service, but with regular outages, cloud storage issues, and slow download speeds, we're going to need to see some results soon.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

well I only buy the full year anyway so no changes for me

but it's still a good price for the amount of games you get, especialy if you own a PS4, PS3 and a Vita

rjejr

rjejr said:

@FullbringIchigo - Since you posted...

I haven't signed up in over a year b/c I only own a PS3. Always assumed I would when I purchased a PS4 at some point, or had the PS TV been useful, but as a PS3 only owner there really isn't much point, it is a bit much for what you get on PS3.

I'd bet way over half of people using PS+ get the annual, so I don't see it as a big deal. Yes raising prices suck, and I'm always the first to complain, but in this case people should consider themselves lucky to get the option, Amazon Prime is annual only, Sony could have gone that route too.

Wonder if Sony would have done this if PS4 sales were closer to 12m than 22m? No stopping the 4.

BlaBlaBla

BlaBlaBla said:

So long as the 12 month sub stays the same, I don't care.
I'm good for Plus till the end of 2016 anyway.

Melucine

Melucine said:

Something tells me that September's PS Plus games will have a nice AAA title so they can tell us that the extra money will worth it.
I dont mind it that much, I used to get the three month sub, but I will get the annual now.

stevie85

stevie85 said:

I think we should really get a bump up in the quality of games for the ps4 and maybe drop a game from the PS3/Vita line up. Rocket league has been the only game of note and quality we have got in several months.

get2sammyb

@stevie85 Yeah, I think it's time to start dropping PS3 and Vita now, too, sadly. I imagine the majority of members are after PS4 stuff now.

stevie85

stevie85 said:

@get2sammyb PS3 has had a good run and to be honest we are getting close to the bottom of the barrel in regards to what the Vita has left to offer.

themcnoisy

themcnoisy said:

@get2sammyb They could easily drop a vita game, as for the ps3 those games are not going anywhere as they are cheap. I can see that running for 2/3 years more.

Neolit

Neolit said:

I still play ps3 games regardless of ps4. I have a back catalogue of things to go through, but yeah, I am pretty much done buying anything for PS3 and that is a lot thanks to PS+. PSVita when I travel. PS+ is a superb deal for me.
One other thing, I use ps+ games on PS3 to transition from disk based games. Whenever a ps3 ps+ game comes which I already have on disk, I get the digital one and I give the disk version as a present to more recent PS3 owners (I know a few who got their ps3 some 3 or 4 years ago).

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

It's a good deal for sure. Just by a PS4, get PS+... and you should never have to buy a game. They variety of genres offered on there should keep most gamers entertained, unless you play like 40+ hours of games a week.

ToOGoodOfAPlaya

ToOGoodOfAPlaya said:

Definitely a response to criticisms Id wager.
Whether justified criticism or not, this screams of people trying out the plus model, for 1-3 months and being underwhelmed so dont want to continue.
Making the yearly sub more desirable.

That said, I play online regularly which is really the only reason I even invested in plus to begin with.
For me, there would be very little reason to do so without the MP paywall.

Dodoo

Dodoo said:

These aren't the kind of announcements we want from Gamescom Sony!

Edit - at least monthly and annual subs are not going up too...

slampog

slampog said:

I only buy for a year at a time, so I guess this doesn't affect me much.

Kohaku

Kohaku said:

Can he say that also in front of the gamers?

Boerewors

Boerewors said:

It's such an outrage that all major companies like Sony and MS but also the big publishers made a vow not to increase the RRP of games in the USA, which till now still holds true. This does mean however continental Europe, but even more the UK, pulled the shortest straw and has to compensate for it. The best example is The Taken King, which is so mind boggling I still expect them to lower the price in Pound Sterling, but PS+ and PSnow aren't safe either.

Ah well...if it wasn't for the Americans they'd all be speaking German and just be playing all sort of Simulators now

Savino

Savino said:

Nah... since my subscription expired last month that I am really think if PS+ is worth it...

This years was terrible in the free games aspects... I will wait till something good starts to appear!

xMEADx

xMEADx said:

Unparalleled wasn't live back up within 48 hour's over Christmass and PSN took nearly 2 week's? I don't mind paying but when they say stuff like that it annoy's me. They take us for fool's.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

@get2sammyb I think they should just add another PS4 game without removing a PS3 game. If they want unparalleled service, I think I'd be a good start.

Riotxmaker

Riotxmaker said:

Eh just make the make ps plus games permanent once the membership is over just like Xbox 360/One. Before anyone goes "Just a buy a full year!" Well I can't! Once in awhile I buy 3 months tops. That's the only thing I hated about ps plus

Link41x

Link41x said:

Free games are only yours to keep on Xbox 360, you only have access to free One games as long as you have Gold.

THRILLHOU

THRILLHOU said:

Better games, more online storage. That's all I need. Sort that out and I'm happy to continue.

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

Ah I usually only buy quarterly because I don't play consoles all the time and get into rpgs on a handheld, this sucks especially with how many problems they have had with the network this year it almost seems like a bad joke

Ryno

Ryno said:

@rjejr: For me, PS plus has been worth the $4 a month even with only a PS3 and Vita for the discounts I have got buying PSX classics, other retto games, and some Vita games. The "free" indie games don't really do anything for me. But yeah, I wont be renewing after my annual is up. Hopefully the increase will help improve PSN, it needs it.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Ryno - My PS+ issues were twofold.

1. Bought it $30 BF, so that was my bar. Kept waiting for another BF sale but it never happened.
2. One year there were just some great PS3 games - Tomb Raider, DmC, Bioshock Infinity, Batman - possibly both Asylum and City - and several others of that quality. It was almost 1 AAA title per month for about a 6 month stretch. Since then it's been mostly indies.

I'd pay $30 for indies or $50 for new monthly AAA, but I'm not paying $50 for indies. Hopefully by the time I get a PS4 they'll start w/ Knack, Killzone, Infamous. I can wait.