Evil Dead's Sam Raimi to Produce Movie Adaptation of The Last of Us

Game of Thrones star mooted for Ellie role

Sam Raimi, the American film veteran best known for Evil Dead and the, er, previous Spider-Man trilogy, will produce Naughty Dog’s upcoming cinematic adaptation of The Last of Us. The tidbit was confirmed during a Sony Screen Gems panel at Comic-Con, in which the Hollywood hero was accompanied by creative director Neil Druckmann to confirm the flick. It will follow the events of the game.

Speaking candidly about getting the project up and running, the Naughty Dog employee – who’s writing the film, as well as working on Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End – admitted that he originally intended to deviate from the plot of the massively popular PlayStation 3 game, but Raimi convinced him to stick with the original fiction. It will be a condensed version of the story, of course.

No casting decisions have been made just yet – it honestly sounds a long way off – but the duo have considered 17-year-old Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams for the role of Ellie. Who do you think should fill the film’s key roles? Are you interested in a movie that mimics a story that you already know? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via comingsoon.net, vg247.com]

Splat

Splat said:

Chloe Grace Moretz would be great but as a big Game of Thrones fan I wouldn't mind Maisie Williams either.

RaymanFan2

RaymanFan2 said:

As long as Nathan Fillion gets to be Nathan Drake, I don't have much preference for these movies.

Snorky

Snorky said:

Here's hoping Raimi doesn't muck it up.. i'm not holding my breath though!

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

This guy has got his work cut out for himself i suspect it will be hard to capture the feeling of the game it tells the story so well. It could be a big hit with non gamers though I will be going to watch it straight away I personally can't get enough The last of us. Bring on the remaster! :D

Bad-MuthaAdebis

Bad-MuthaAdebis said:

I mentioned Chloe when it was first announced, too old now though. Wasn't Sam raimi already confirmed when the movie was first announced...

Splat

Splat said:

I don't think Chole is too old. I highly doubt they pick someone Ellie's real age.

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

Hmm I really love Chloe Moretz but I think she's a bit "too bulky" for fragile Ellie. But hey if they can make hobbits look small I'm sure they could do the same to Miss Moretz. Otherwise just let her wear a purple wig and it will tick all the inappropiate boxes in a mind as old as mine... :D

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

I just googled for Maisie Williams. HOLY HELL that girl is fugly. Please... no. I suggest ... Ellen Page!! d'oh that would be the biggest marketing stunt ever though... lol, what about Isabel Fuhrmann?

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

'It already is a movie...'

But on the real, why the hell does every damn game these days have to have a movie adaption? It's beyond ridiculous. Hopefully like many others this will never really get going.

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

I would laugh my butt off if the casted Ellen Page in the role of Ellie.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Game of Thrones star to play Ellie? I just can't see Peter Dinklage in that role.

Arya is my wifes favorite character but no way sheld watch a movie like this, doesnt matter whos in it. She will pay good money to see Fillion as Drake though.