E3 2014: LittleBigPlanet 3 May Not Strictly Be Exclusive to PS4

Seems like there's a PS3 version, too

While it has been rumoured in the past, the announcement of LittleBigPlanet 3 at E3 2014 this week was arguably the biggest surprise of the show. Demonstrated live on the PlayStation 4, the sequel will include a ragtag group of unique characters, each with different abilities to protagonist Sackboy. However, while it was assumed that the title will be exclusive to Sony’s next-gen machine, it appears that a PlayStation 3 version is also in the works.

Writing on Twitter, series community co-ordinator Steven Isbell revealed that the whimsical release will also be available on the ageing machine, and that additional details will be deployed about that version later on. However, he stressed that the Japanese giant’s freshest format won’t suffer as a result of this cross-gen compatibility. “Oh, [the game] most definitely does [take advantage of the PS4],” he reassured. “It’s so vibrant, gorgeous, and has never looked better.”

It’s strange that Sony’s seemingly buried the PS3 version of this game, but it makes sense for the title to come to the older hardware – after all, the console is now in its twilight years, and is at that point where it’s becoming an attractive option for slightly more casual players. Still, we suspect that you may be disappointed by this little tidbit if you’re the type of person that enjoys playing list wars rather than actual video games.

[via twitter.com, twitter.com]

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

So basically the same thing MS is doing with Forza Horizon 2. Doesn't shock me. Big franchise, you can still milk some more money out of your 80 million+ selling console. Not like this game seems to be pushing the new hardware graphically anyway, they say it is but with these kind of 2.5 games it's tougher to tell, though I'm sure differences could be noticed if both versions are viewed side by side. I went ahead and pre-ordered for PS4, need something this holiday to break up the darker themed, more violent games I'm buying in Far Cry 4, AC: Unity, Destiny and CoD.

sackninja

sackninja said:

Little big planet's about the community, so this is a good thing. Ad I've played over a 1000 hours between the different lbp games.

MANTAGTJ001

MANTAGTJ001 said:

thats great because I dont want my son playing my PS4 (he chews the sticks!) but he loves LBP3 and he has anything Sackboy on his PS3, so I would be happy with that, I thought you meant by the title it may be for all Consoles then, thank goodness it isnt... Happy for PS3 to have some....

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@Punished_Boss What I didn't watch it live and skip through parts straight into LBP 3 and I thought this is either a PS3 or Vita game nothing wrong with it being on PS4 but it makes perfect sense to have it on PS3 as well.

Demi_God

Demi_God said:

Sammy, When I read that title was like like " no freakin way, @#$@@#" then I seen PS3 and was like "PFFFFFFT!" hahaha

rjejr

rjejr said:

My son will be SO EXCITED if this is a PS3 game. We're still years away from a PS4. Well maybe only 18 months :-)

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

Not excited at all by LBP3. The creativity is wonderful but as platformers they're average. The floaty feel to Sackboy is too off-putting for me. So Sony's one first party exclusive this Christmas for PS4 is now DriveClub, a game 99.9% of people will get for free. 2015 can't come soon enough.

feelthesarcasm

feelthesarcasm said:

It makes sense since this game was probably in development before the PS4 was released and it would only give 5 months for people to adopt, which wouldn't go well.

My 9 year old nephew loves LBP and he still has a PS3 so it'll be great for him. I want a PS4 but with all of the great RPGs that are still coming out on PS3 (Tales of overload), I don't really see a reason to upgrade yet and E3 didn't help with all of the zombie/horror games I'm not interested in.

adf86

adf86 said:

For me it isn't the story based levels that interest me, it's the community ones. I've always saidif you give people a decent amount of tools then will create amazing things.