Weirdness: Sony's Opinion of Portable Gaming Perfection Is Misjudged

Didn't think this one through

Despite blossoming into a really quality console, the PlayStation Vita is still struggling to attract the interest of more mainstream gamers. Its fortunes have undoubtedly improved in its native Japan, but in Western territories it remains a niche device that mostly appeals to the type of people that read this website. And it would seem that not even Sony has much faith in the product in these parts.

While we’d happily describe our midnight binge with exclusives Toukiden and TxK as “portable gaming perfection”, the platform holder reckons that that moniker belongs to its Xperia Z2 tablet when tethered to a DualShock 3. In fairness, it was just retweeting the embedded correspondence from the official Xperia account, but the misjudged message has already prompted a slew of irate reactions from irked handheld owners.

“Guess I don’t need my Vita anymore,” one follower wrote in response, while another sarcastically pointed out that his system cried a “single tear” after seeing the tweet. We genuinely don’t think that there was any intended malice in this message, but it doesn’t seem like the most appropriate choice of words when the manufacturer has a superior portable gaming product fighting for its life.

[via twitter.com]

rjejr

rjejr said:

The Xperia is sitting on a table, so this could be "portable" gaming perfection vs the Vita's "handheld" gaming perfection.

Epic

Epic said:

Facepalm
Even Sony sometimes forgets about Vita's existence.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

Maybe it's because you have 4 shoulder buttons and clickable analog sticks while using a DualShock.

And with the amount of third party support it's getting these days, I wouldn't say that the Vita is fighting for its life - though I would say it's fighting to increase sales further.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@Epic This doesn't mean that they've forgotten the Vita's existence, people really need to calm down and stop putting words into people's mouths.

N711

N711 said:

Reactions are childish as often. I guess Sony could say anything Sony branded to play with is perfection. So what ?

Cyrso

Cyrso said:

Ehh lol.

Tweet is originally from SonyXperia so I think it's understandable, which is obviously a seperate entity than SCE, but still making the general Sony account retweet it was dumb indeed when they have PSVita..

With that said the Xperia Z2 Tablet looks amazing in my opinion.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@NicolaHayden omg if I had a PSPgo or could sync to Vita, I'd never be without a ds3. I'd put it on a necklace or maybe my car keys. (We need the ds3/4 to be universally compatible with PlayStations)

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Sad times when a company ignores one of its best products with buckets of potential left to waste.

THEundying27

THEundying27 said:

Totally off subject: does the ps4 download patches and game update without plus? Or do I need it?

Punished_Boss_84

Punished_Boss_84 said:

@Jazzer94
But it has remote... It has HD Por.... It has indie.... It has niche japanese gam..... Its been relegated??? Okay fair game.

Topic: This is beeping funny. You just have to laugh at Sony's complete ignorance. Yes i know who retweeted/originally tweeted that, that twitter account also talks things PlayStation.

benrawr

benrawr said:

I actually have a DS3 in my drawer at work, and when I have lunch with me, I get to play half an hour of San Andreas on my Xperia :D

john_c

john_c said:

I love both my PSP and PS Vita. But let's be honest here - whilst Sony have to look at their pricing, especially over the memory cards the Western third-party companies have to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror. They have not exactly covered themselves in glory. A GTA game would sell well on the Vita and so would a Bioshock game but there seems to be no desire to make these games unless Sony bend over backwards to accommodate their increasingly insupportable demands. The Japanese companies put them to shame.

fishwilson

fishwilson said:

But whatever anyone says the Vita is still the only console that plays Gravity Rush and for that you have to own one. Its that good. Only other portable game that comes close to this one in amounts of sheer innovation I can think of must be "the World Ends with You" on the DS.