Hands On: Scouting Out Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes on PS4

Posted by Ben Potter

Looking foxy

You’re no doubt sick and tired of reading about Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes’ running time, so we thought that we’d give you a break from that line of discussion, and focus on the actual game for a change. Having recently had a chance to go hands-on with Hideo Kojima’s gorgeous next-gen debut, we’ve compiled our impressions in video form for your night-vision goggled eyes to devour.

The one thing that you should probably know about this upcoming prologue is that it looks absolutely breathtaking on the PlayStation 4. You may have had to endure a painstaking wait since the last main entry in the series, but all of the years that developer Kojima Productions has spent on the vaunted FOX Engine has really paid off, as this is a stunning sample of what you can expect from full release Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

Without further ado, though, we bring you our first impressions. Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel for more of this audio-visual style stuff, and check back next week for our full review of the release. It’s going to be a fun few days.

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

I don't want to go to length territory either, but i have to say that once i knew this game COULD be pretty short i decided to not watch any more footage of it.
Of course that resolve ended as quick as my MGS shoulder-climbing monkey, so i watched the preview.
Thank you, and curse you.

Bad-MuthaAdebisi

Bad-MuthaAdebisi said:

I'm not a MGS fan but this does look delicious. I'll definitely be playing it at some point in the near future.

KillTheG1mp

KillTheG1mp said:

I just finished MGS: PW (with the final and true ending...20 hours later! gaaah!) and man am I psyched to play this next tuesday! And of course I had to have a ****ing off-hours obligatory meeting at my job and pull a 12 hours shift the very same day!

Even though it's just the prologue, I'll play this until my thumbs are bleeding and then I'm gonna play some more until the Phantom Pain releases. The MGS games are timeless classics and meant to be played over and over again I believe!

P.S.: Will the review be out on Pushsquare the 18th or only the 21st?

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Looking forward to this myself. It may be short, but from what I've seen, it still seems pretty cool.

KAPADO

KAPADO said:

Man I'm going to have to get this, I've had every metal gear game but the card game. Never finished peace walker on the psp.

KillTheG1mp

KillTheG1mp said:

@KAPADO bro, finish MGS:PW ASAP! This game is the direct continuation of the PW story! Treat yourself with something nice and play that game through the weekend! You won't regret it!

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@KillTheG1mp he'll need more than the weekend to do all the mofo "find Zadornov" missions lol. I love that PW and PP/GZ are "tactical espionage operations." More fun than mere "action" :)

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@banacheck We Americans get it Tuesday. I'm considering skipping my midterm. And my PSP file didn't unlock ps3 trophies cause I started the file before the HD version! 1st world problems, right?

KillTheG1mp

KillTheG1mp said:

@charlesnarles if there's a will there's a way, no? ;)

I just clocked my game at 20hours but I did a lot of extra ops for fun before really unlocking parts to build Zeke. So it is possible assuming you just play all day long for two days. ;p

Carl-G

Carl-G said:

Nothing anyone says about this game online will stop me from buying it :P Because 1 second of a Kojima game is better than most full games :D

Dub-Focus

Dub-Focus said:

How do you think illl get on picking this up if i have never played a MGS title ? i know there is loads of backstory but you recon ill be ok?

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@Dub-Focus DANGER, WILL ROBINSON! The MGS storyline is ridonkykongulously long and confusing. GZ/PP may not necessarily spoil anything, but each game's betrayals influence the characters in the next, so you really won't understand the "why" even if you totally get what happens in 5. I'd buy the collection and sit down for a paradigm shift :)

Chris1975

Chris1975 said:

Pre ordered on Shopto for £23 I think that's a decent price for what we are going to get😎