Sony's Official Gold Wireless Stereo Headset Sends a Signal to PS4

Always believe in your soul

Sony’s brand new wireless headset isn’t officially endorsed by Spandau Ballet, but it’s sure going to make the British band’s back catalogue sound absolutely stellar. The platform holder announced the versatile set of cans earlier today in conjunction with its next generation console’s latest firmware update. No prizes for guessing what the hold-up’s been about, then.

Indeed, you’ll need the platform’s latest patch to use the Gold Wireless Stereo Headset, which is due out this month in both Europe and North America. Similarly to the Pulse range, these new headphones will connect to your console via a USB dongle, and will pump virtual 7.1 surround sound directly into your ears without any hassle. It will also boast a hidden noise cancelling microphone for multiplayer games.

Better yet, just like the Pulse Elite, the peripheral will be compatible with the Headset Companion App that’s already available on the PlayStation 3 and is coming soon to the PlayStation 4. This will allow you to enjoy a variety of developer designed sound presets, with Sucker Punch kicking off the crystal clear action in inFAMOUS: Second Son.

Of course, the headset will also come with a 3.5mm audio jack, so you’ll be able to plug it into your PlayStation Vita, iPod, or abovementioned record player. The cans will retail for $99.99 in North America and £79.99 in Europe. Are you planning to pick up the audio enhancing extra? Blast us with some bass in the comments section below.

[via blog.us.playstation.com, blog.eu.playstation.com]

DaProphecy726

DaProphecy726 said:

Using Sony headsets for games can much more to the experience. I used the The Last of Us mode and it made hearing enemies a lot easier. Like hearing their footsteps and stuff. And when I was playing GTAV with its mode I remember being in the desert and hearing a fly or mosquito and it felt it was actually near my ear and I reacted to it lol.

KAPADO

KAPADO said:

Does this mean that the first Sony wirelesss headphones won't work with the update? I won't buy another one.
I like that one and I see no reason why it shouldn't work?
This one looks almost identical to it.

irken004

irken004 said:

$99 is pretty cheap compared to other headsets, I wonder what the big differences are...

chadders77

chadders77 said:

HOW HAS THIS TECH FOR THE CONNECTION OF THESE HEADPHONES NOT BEEN BUILT IN TO THE PS4. I mean really, they make such a great looking console and now want you to have a block of f-ing plastic sticking out the front of it???

What is the dongle and why can this not be achieved over bluetooth. Does the ps4 even have built in bluetooth? Bad really, really bad.

DrJoeystein

DrJoeystein said:

Oh my...that's a nice headset there. And I can use for multiple devices? I think I might have to pick this up since it's relatively cheap considering other headsets out there.
Also, the sound presets for future games sound amazing. If I end up getting this, I can't wait to see what inFAMOUS: Second Son will sound like!

Subie98

Subie98 said:

Ill never pay more than 20-50 bucks for a headphone set just for talking to someone.

irken004

irken004 said:

@Subie98 That's why it's also a 7.1 surround sound system for your head, instead of investing in a $300+ real surround sound system :o

Cloud7794

Cloud7794 said:

@chadders77 Considering the controllers use bluetooth to communicate with the console, I'd assume so.

Also, I won one because of my First to Greatness video :D

DoublezZ01

DoublezZ01 said:

SWEETNESS! !! they're only $100 I'm glad to hear that I thought they were going to be 130! and my FLIPS were going to be the last headset I was going to buy that were above $100 them being 120 because of the speaker mode...but I can't talk through them! But this is great news I am definitely going to pick these up because of their versatility, price point, and compatible look with the console Plus this will be my first strictly gaming headset ever!!!!! =D

DoublezZ01

DoublezZ01 said:

Sweetness! !! Happy 4 Ya dude.. can't wait to snag mine. ... Have them ready b4 second son!!! Along with some new glasses so I'm seeing and hearing the details crystal clear!!! First gaming headset ever! !!

Subie98

Subie98 said:

@irken004 nah its not for me. Already have $1800ish in a real surround set up with 8 speakers. If i want surround id rather enjoy what I already have.

Armycool

Armycool said:

How do you connect this headset on a PS3? People can hear me but I can't hear them.