This Footage of Thief Running on PlayStation 4 Looks Criminally Good

Posted by Kell Andersen

Steal yourself

Eidos Montreal's re-imagining of the popular Thief franchise will be sneaking onto store shelves in a few short weeks, and to drum up some interest, the company has released two clips demonstrating the title's varied gameplay styles. The two videos, narrated by level designer Daniel Windfield Schmidt, show off the vastly different ways you can approach a level, making full use of Garrett's remarkably robust arsenal.

Some have expressed concerns that the stealth game may not live up to its storied lineage, and it's doubtful that this footage will do much to assuage those fears. What can't be denied, though, is that the title's visuals look incredibly impressive. And in truth, if the reboot ends up being rubbish, we always have the hope of a new Dishonored to fall back on. Will you be picking up this re-imagining of the classic franchise, or is stealth not your scene? Sneak about in the comments section below.

[via youtube.com, youtube.com]

I've never actually played a Thief game. I liked Dishonored, though, so I'm going to give this a try. Do agree with you Kell, the architecture and moody environments look great.

Swinny

Swinny said:

Man, the cold look of the world contrasts nicely with the warm glow of the indoors, its such an ugly world- but in a good way- that I can imagine the contrast going on here when you find some beautiful jewellery, its really got a certain artistic style too it. I love how detailed everything is, if the gameplay is as detailed and as rich and 'contrasty' as the visuals then this could be amazing.

Bad-MuthaAdebisi

Bad-MuthaAdebisi said:

@get2sammyb I never played thief either. I finished dishonored in just a few sittings. It was decent but I think this thief game definitely blows dishonored out of the water. I originally didn't think much of it but the freedom the game allows is right up my street. Will need to buy this when it comes around.

Wesker

Wesker said:

Doesn't look that fun. It depends how they put it altogether. If the story is interesting and merges well with the game-play then it could be worth a lot.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@Wesker @RyoHazuki @get2sammyb I'd say to go scour thrift shops to find the original, but I doubt that'll happen twice (I also found an intact MGS1 in like 2006 lol) the first game introduced the world to sound and lighting as stealth mechanics, and still plays well after 16 years. Very different take from other fps in 98--I really can't wait to see this one on the shelves

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

This game looks so drab and gloomy. Very unappealing aesthetically imo. That's what put me off right away...

KAPADO

KAPADO said:

Yes because thieves lurk in colorful flower fields and beautiful gardens stealing petals from the rich.
Now I'm buying this just because of you jaded nay Sayers.