Desperate Shenmue Fans Beg Sony to Save Series on PS4

Master Chen would admire your fortitude

It’s becoming abundantly clear that if anyone is going to awaken Shenmue from its decade long slumber, it’s going to be Sony. Not only has the platform holder publicly acknowledged the fervent demand for the franchise in recent interviews, but PlayStation 4 architect Mark Cerny is actually good friends with series creator Yu Suzuki. And sensing an opportunity to shake protagonist Ryo Hazuki’s unfinished escapade back to life, the users on Facebook group Shenmue 500K have prepared a picture demanding that the platform holder brings the dormant Dreamcast property to the PS4.

The image – which composes of a collage of members holding up individual letters – reads: “Thank you Sony for listening to us. Please save Shenmue.” The graphic was publicly Tweeted to Gio Corsi, the head of the organisation’s new localisation division, as well as developer relations executive Adam Boyes and Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida. The latter actually responded to the message, simply saying: “Very nice.”

We’re confident that the company’s having discussions with SEGA about the possibility of a new Shenmue game, but at the end of the day, the decision lies at the Japanese publisher’s feet. We suspect that the ship has sailed on the long anticipated third instalment, but with the company keen to port its best Dreamcast titles to the PlayStation Network, we wouldn’t be surprised if some sort of high-definition re-release of the first two entries eventually made its way online. It would be a pretty big deal if Sony could somehow get exclusivity on that, but as the property’s straight-faced hero himself would say, we’ll see.

[via twitter.com, twitter.com, thearabgamer.com]

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

Now of there were a Sega property Nintendo should've got their claws in to rather than Sonic, this is it.

@KALofKRYPTON Agreed. Should a sequel ever emerge, Shenmue is a system-seller for me - I would happily buy whichever console it popped up on. Alas, I suspect that Sonic is probably a lot more commercially viable.

KAPADO

KAPADO said:

As a Sony fanboy I love what this picture symbolises.
After Playstation2 killed Sega Dreamcast in combat, our sworn enemie's army has finally "forgiven" us and bows to Sony as its lord and savior now.
You're our only hope Sony-wan Kenobi.

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

@get2sammyb I dunno, does anyone but the site hards ever expect a Sonic game to be any good these days? Generations was awesome, but that was pretty much an apology for everything else from Adventure onwards for me.

SimonAdebisi

SimonAdebisi said:

@get2sammyb agreed. I would buy any console this was released on. Almost re bought the Xbox just to play the dubbed version of shenmue 2, which should have been released on the ps2. Sony needs to buy the rights. Its for me the best story ever in a video game. Alright its very clichéd but then it is set in the eighties. Its perfect for the kind of complimentary gameplay between. Ps4 and vita that we're seeing on ishin. Aside from the main story of ryo it would also have legs as a prequel flowing hazuki sensei's own journey to China. If sony miss this opportunity it would be a little ahameful.

SimonAdebisi

SimonAdebisi said:

@KALofKRYPTON I haven't played sonic since sonic 3d. Rubbish. I did play a few levels of sonic on my megadrive over Christmas though. Still has some legs. Maybe a vita overhaul would be good?

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

@RyoHazuki give Generations a bash, best implementation of 3D Sonic and excellent remakes of 2D levels. A port would be perfect for Vita, alas Sonic is Nintendo exclusive for the near future at least.

Beaston61

Beaston61 said:

WOW! Everywhere I look on the web recently... It's all about Shenmue 3! Sega must know how much we wan't it. @SammyB - It would be a system seller for me too!
@RyoHazuki - The thought of Shenmue HD Remake makes me <Explicit Content>

SimonAdebisi

SimonAdebisi said:

@Beaston61 aye. If they did announce it then I don't think I could cope with the wait. I may have to be put into an induced coma until release day

Madd_Hatter401

Madd_Hatter401 said:

There is an army of shenmue fans on twitter, we tweet Sega Sony and anyone associated with Shenmue for HD remakes and a third game. It has been far to long since Shenmue 2 and patience has run dry 0_o

SimonAdebisi

SimonAdebisi said:

@Madd_Hatter401 yep, ridiculous it hasn't been picked up. It flopped because the Dreamcast flopped and so it was impossible to make a profit. They did though poor so much money into this game it was unreal.

Madd_Hatter401

Madd_Hatter401 said:

@RyoHazuki very true on all fronts.. My first experience with the game was on the first Xbox. My first PS2 stopped playing DVD format so I grabbed an Xbox, and in the bargain I saw shenmue 2 so grabbed it.. Very happy I did because it is now a top 5 game in my list. I truely hope we and those who never had a chance to experience this masterpiece get HD remakes and a continuation to the series.

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

Would quite happily buy the shenmue games again in HD. And a shenmue 3 would be absolutely brilliant I still remember the day I picked up the first shenmue.