Naughty Dog: You'll Be in Awe When You Play Our PS4 Game

Putting a paw forward

We know that it’s only a matter of time before Naughty Dog reveals its first PlayStation 4 title, but the studio hasn’t been able to resist teasing it during a Reddit question and answer session. Quizzed by a user about its thoughts on Sony’s next generation console, Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception’s lead multiplayer designer Robert Cogburn hinted that there’s an amazing game around the corner.

“If I said anything about what we’re doing right now it wouldn’t be exciting,” he teased. “The PS4 is awesome. It gives us the chance to do a lot of things that we’ve been talking about for some time. You’ll be in awe when you play it.” And now our hype levels are actually through the roof.

Game director Justin Richmond also took a moment to comment on the recent spate of space rumours. Asked if Nathan Drake’s next adventure could take place on a different planet, the developer merely responded, “If only Starlight wasn’t so Savage.” That’s a reference to the in-game comic featured throughout The Last of Us, of course. Grilled again on the rumoured intergalactic title, the luminary added that there’s “not enough space” to talk about it.

Several key members from the first-party outfit recently embarked on a trip to SpaceX, the headquarters of Elon Musk’s private aerospace company in California. It’s not clear whether the firm’s using this as a ruse to cover up what it's really working on, or whether its next game actually will take place among the stars. One thing’s for sure: it’s going to be awesome.

[via reddit.com, neogaf.com]

MANTAGTJ001

MANTAGTJ001 said:

please be one of those titles that are going to be announced on 14th - that would be badass........:)

@MANTAGTJ001 I'm mixed about this pre-release event. On the one hand, dropping some bombs just as people are picking up the console seems like an amazing way to push the hype off the scale. On the other hand, I wonder if the announcements will have the same impact with people waiting in line outside stores and wanting to actually play their new PS4 while the bombs are being dropped.

I definitely think we'll see this during the VGAs, though - even if it's not on the 14th November. Whatever it is, anyway...

k_andersenStaff

k_andersen said:

Oh man. I really want Uncharted 4. But after The Last of Us I'd love to see Naughty Dog do something completely different and new again.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@get2sammyb If Ustream wasn't useless on smartphones - how do you have a mobile app that isn't optimized for mobile? - then people could watch the bombs being dropped as they're waiting in line, which I think would really push everyone's hype even further through the roof.

@Lelouch That's a fair point - it would certainly make for some good press footage as people waiting in line start cheering or something... Would that actually happen...?

Advancedcaveman

Advancedcaveman said:

The only way I'd be in awe is if they actually made another Jak and Daxter game or a new IP in that style instead of yet another boring realistic game where you squat behind boxes and shoot zombies.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

Whatever it is let's hope they've remembered to include gameplay this time, the only thing missing from TLOU. It could have been the defining moment of this - maybe any - console generation.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@get2sammyb Not the first time I've heard that. To be honest every single person I have spoke to about TLOU has said exactly the same as me, just painfully average gameplay. Everything else is amazing, but let down by that. Only people on here have I seen say they enjoyed it. Glad they did, but I personally would like Naughty Dog next time to remember its a video game and needs more original and attention-catching gameplay rather than generic blandness.

@ztpayne7 Oh, thanks. There was me thinking a comment of mine, expressing my own opinion might just express my own opinion. Very good of you. Let me just edit yours: "There. I edited yours trying to look clever."

ztpayne7

ztpayne7 said:

@rastamadeus you just said "everyone told me it has average gameplay". which is not the same as you. to say you don't like the gameplay is one thing. but you cannot possibly believe that the last of us has NO gameplay. everyone I'VE spoken to (and reviewers) have said it has great gameplay. You're entitled to your own opinion on the quality of the gameplay. But to say there is none is about the equivalent of this guy who tried to tell me that coke is not a soda because it tastes bad.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@ztpayne7 Yes, I said something in a comment after a comment after the one you edited. To try to use that to prove your point is poor. And now you're telling me that I can't possibly think I'm right because others don't, which is exactly what you're trying to say I was doing in the first place...

Reply back if you like but I won't be. Going to go deal with my baby, might get a better argument too ;) (I'm joking, don't get your knickers in a twist).

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

I agree with @rastamadeus. I played it a lot last night and it's just not designed for marathons. It's really cyclical--walk around nature with no bad guys, then sneak and strangle humans, then sneak and stab clickers, then it's more leisurely stilling thru over-saturated nature again. It literally does not change the pattern. Ever. It's a good ps3 game, but it'll look like a baby's toy in 12 days :o

ztpayne7

ztpayne7 said:

@rastamadeus haha I don't get that offended easily. and I'm not offended. The Last of Us isn't my favorite game, but I just think that your words are kind of extreme.

For example, I HATED Red Dead Redemption. I couldn't get into it at all.

But would I be expressing myself if I said "It has no gameplay?" or would I be saying what I meant if I said "It has gameplay I don't like". There's a big difference. Even a game like "QWOP" has gameplay - to most people, TERRIBLE gameplay, but to each their own.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@charlesnarles "It's a good ps3 game, but it'll look like a baby's toy in 12 days"

It's a fantastic PS3 game and it's been well over 12 days and it's still being played through by many people. As for the gameplay not being suited for marathons, I have to disagree. Yes, there are parts devoid of conflict, but that's just one of the many reasons why it's such a great game - it balances fights and the more quiet moments better than most other games.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@Lelouch I mean ps4 comes out on the 14th at 11:59 for me, buddy. Even the best ps3 games will look lame in comparison with 4, that's all

Madd_Hatter401

Madd_Hatter401 said:

I LOVE ND!!!! Whatever they are doing I'm sure it will be brilliant.. Did I mention I friggin LOVE ND!

Visiblemode

Visiblemode said:

@get2sammyb I like the last second hype idea. True hardcores will be watching from smartphones in line at midnight launches, but also many will watch from home too, such as those buying from online retailers and those buying from stores w/o midnight launches. That said, this event is good for pushing fence-sitters over the line and just generally turning the hype up to 11. I think it's genius. It worked on me...just when I thought I couldn't get more excited -bam! LOL

Also consider it a clever strategy for stealing headlines from PSN hiccups and post-launch-hype-quick-acting-malaise.

I think they should also do a PSN bonus akin to what they did prior to the announcement press conference. Was clever.

Dominion1080

Dominion1080 said:

A) First of all I love Naughty Dog's games. The Last of Us was epic.
B) I wish they wouldn't start hyping it so soon. I'm sure they'll deliver, but I've been bitten before...