Microsoft Pats Sony on the Back for Successful PS4 Launch

Round of applause

As entertaining as the console wars can undeniably be at times, all three major gaming manufacturers rely on each other to succeed. After all, a healthy industry is good for business – and competition is a great thing for consumers. This surprisingly sporting image from Microsoft congratulating Sony on the PlayStation 4 launch acknowledges that – even if it probably was partially fuelled by a desire to thaw souring customer relations somewhat.

Regardless, it was genuinely heart warming to see Xbox Live director of programming Larry ‘Major Nelson’ Hryb and Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida exchanging personal messages on Twitter. “Your turn next week,” the likeable PlayStation man said, following some kind words from the Microsoft employee. It really makes those heated message board debates look a little bit ridiculous, doesn’t it? Still, we’ll be glad when the daggers come out again – all of this camaraderie is bad for traffic.

[via twitter.com]

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

I can't help but think this is a response to Shuhei's previous comments about how smart and resourceful Microsoft is.

Regardless, it's still nice to see.

Paranoimia

Paranoimia said:

I don't trust 'em.

I've never seen MS play nice with the competition. The sneaky buggers are probably up to something.

divinelite

divinelite said:

In business it's usual for this talk, to make one image is good. But anyway if it's the truth then it's good to hear

Oorchip

Oorchip said:

It's the competition that keeps both ms and sony honest, if either folded and gave up the other would implement whatever policies they liked with no fear. I've only ever had playstations but am glad that for each generation there has been an alternative, survival of the fittest requires competition.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

I think this kind of stems from all the negative press the company's been getting. Microsoft is trying to seem like a nice, human corporation here.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Y'all some paranoid ****s. You guts do realize that Shu owns a 360 and Phil Spencer owns a PS3. Hell they've talked The Last of Us. Animal crossing, and Pokemon in the major nelson podcast.

Shaolin

Shaolin said:

Sony & Microsoft are such friendly partners in so many markets and you don't see them at each other in court nearly the same way as you do with Samsung & Apple. They have great business respect for each other - it's a shame that doesn't extend to some of their fanboys (and yes I do mean that about some of the people that comment on here as well as on other more vitriolic websites).

Bad-MuthaAdebis

Bad-MuthaAdebis said:

Clearly anyone at either company that loves gaming has no real hatred for its competitors. Those who are simply in it for the business couldn't care less.

Savino

Savino said:

Yoshida talking nothing but good things about WiiU, MS giving congrats to Sony.... Is this real life, or just fanatsy?!

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

Yeah console wars were fun until I was 13 lol There's good games on all platforms. I wish I could afford all of the next gen systems.

CasuallyDressedStaff

CasuallyDressed said:

Makes me laugh when fanboys expect fully-grown, mature, successful businessmen to also behave like they do when it comes to games.

DoublezZ01

DoublezZ01 said:

don't know if they're actually up to something but for now I like to see good sportsmanship! =)

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

@Paranoimia Are you kidding? Sony is the one that never plays nice. Have you seen any of their advertising? Or E3 presentations, for that matter?

Paranoimia

Paranoimia said:

@Hyperstar96 Yep, all of the above. How are they not playing nice? All they did was keep things the same. It's not their fault that everyone loved them for it. The only people that have hurt Microsoft are Microsoft.

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

@Paranoimia "How has Sony not played nice"? Where do I even begin...

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2011/04/08/3ds-just-a-babysitting-tool-for-jack-tretton-360-running-out-of-steam/ (attacking Nintendo)
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/3/24/ (attacking Nintendo, and hypocrisy)
Little Big Planet Karting (Mario Kart ripoff)
http://m.joystiq.com/2012/06/04/sony-tags-playstation-all-stars-as-super-smash-bros-on-youtub/ (mooching off the success of Super Smash Bros.)
http://www.realsg.com/2013/02/sony-oh-yay-another-mario-game.html?m=1 and http://www.lazygamer.net/xbox-360/sony-gets-cocky-ahead-of-ps4-reveal/ (do I even need to explain these?)
http://m.ign.com/videos/2013/06/11/sony-sticks-it-to-microsoft-on-used-games-and-always-online-e3-2013-sony-conference (attacking Microsoft; even if they did have it coming, this was still completely unnecessary)

Nintendo and Microsoft have never done anything like this, and this only covers the last few years. If you can look at all the evidence and still say Sony "plays fair", something is very wrong with you.

Paranoimia

Paranoimia said:

@Hyperstar96

When I said "how are they not playing nice", I was assuming you were talking about this year's E3, in which they merely took advantage of Microsoft nailing their own scrotum to the floor.

Besides, I didn't say Sony always play nice. I said I've never seen Microsoft play nice. That's quite different.

Somewhat convenient, though, that you overlooked the Nintendo love that's been coming to the fore more recently:

Regarding the links you gave:

#1 - I agree with practically all that Tretton says, so I see it more as a statement of truth than an attack. Nintendo have always been largely irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, as I never liked their games even when I was a kid. I owned 2 Game & Watch systems as a kid (Snoopy Tennis and Donkey Kong), and also picked up a Gamecube, though not for Nintendo's own games but some 3rd-party exclusives. I guess it's a matter of personal perspective. (EDIT: Oh, and an original Gameboy.)

#2 - It's a cartoon. But practically everything in gaming is borrowed from someone else. They're all hypocrites to a point.

#3 - Tagged a video as SSB? Irrelevant. Standard advertising practise these days. It's a similar product, so you tag it as such, hoping to get people interested in one to try the other. Certainly not a dirty tactic. Every PS4 game stream I see on Twitch at the moment has an Xbox One advert in front of it. Same kind of thing.

#4 - "Oh yay, another Mario game!" - Basically what I think every time Nintendo release one. It seems to be that if you grew up playing Nintendo, you love them; otherwise, you see it as Nintendo re-releasing the same game for the last 20 years. It's a recognised thing, so they're going to play on it.

#5 - "Sony gets cocky ahead of PS4 reveal." Yup. But as the article itself states: "it’s cocky, and a taste of the immature, self-assured and arrogant stuff we expect from everyone at the beginning of each console generation."

#6 - "Sony sticks it to Microsoft" - And yet they didn't actually mention anything other than what won't be required. No, this one doesn't count at all, I'm afraid. All they said was "we're not changing anything about used games." Not sure how you see that as an 'attack'.

As for Microsoft... they've never done anything like this? Either you're quite a bit younger than me, or I need to ask which rock you've been living under. Just a (very) few examples...

Against competing platforms in general: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-24-why-microsoft-wont-publish-psn-firsts

Against Nintendo: http://www.dashhacks.com/wii-u/wii-u-news/multiple-neogaf-users-are-reporting-microsoft-invading-wii-u-best-buy-events.html

Against Sony: http://hexus.net/gaming/news/ps3/7603-microsoft-launch-attack-sony-branding-ps3-launch-disaster/

Against Apple: http://www.bandwidthblog.com/2013/05/23/microsoft-uses-siri-to-attack-ipad-in-new-windows-8-advert/

Against Google: http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/9/4206486/scroogled-android-google-play-campaign

And the rest of their history:

One particularly nice document:

When it comes to not playing nice, Microsoft practically wrote the book.

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

@Paranoimia Wow, I completely forgot about those, but it's all coming back to me now o_o

You're definitely right about Microsoft, but that still doesn't change the fact that Sony tends to use cheap tactics whenever it needs to get anything done. I'm not saying they're illegal or anything (though in my opinion such tactics should be, including what Microsoft's done), but they undeniably prove that Sony doesn't "play nice". But I'll go through these rebuttals anyway:

#1. The point is that Tretton said back in 2011 that Nintendo is running out of steam and the 3DS would be a flop. I don't care how much you hate Nintendo, no one can look at the sales and say the 3DS has been anything but a success. Especially when you compare it to Sony's own handheld offering. Tretton didn't have an idea of what to say, so he just said "lolcompetition". Don't forget that he said any adult who owns a 3DS has no self-respect. If that's not an attack, I don't know what is.

#2. Your point? It's a comic based on true events; that doesn't make it any less relevant. But to answer what you said: the point is that Tretton chose to downplay the competition instead of trying to tell people why his own product is good, only to (more or less) copy the exact idea he insulted a few years later. It's one thing to build upon an innovation (like the Kinect did, as much as I hate to use it as an example), but it's something else entirely to use the exact same thing and claim it as your own.

#3. I beg to differ. It shows that, once again, Sony relies on talking about its competition instead of what makes its own product so good. They couldn't explain it themselves, so they resorted to saying "It's like this already-existing game, only we think it's better!"

#4. Look at the sales and reviews of every major Mario game and tell me people aren't genuinely enthusiastic whenever there's a new one. There's a reason they sell so well, and that reason is quality. Again, Sony is trying to bring Nintendo's quality down instead of bringing its own quality up.

#5. True, but that doesn't make it any better. This is a major corporation we're talking about; they really don't have any right to be this immature.

#6. With the exception of the Xbox One (and possibly some obscure console I'm forgetting), every console plays used games. That is not a feature. It's especially not something that should warrant the reaction it got. You didn't see Nintendo making a huge deal about used games, nor has anyone else ever. And why? Because it's a given. It would be okay if Sony said they were allowing used games and left it at that, but they decided to make a whole ordeal out of it. But given everything Microsoft's done that I apparently forgot, I guess they deserved it :P

D3athBr1ng3r187

D3athBr1ng3r187 said:

Did I tell you Nintendo Life is invading Push Square WTF!!! We don't need whining people and negativity on this site and i'm talking about the Nintendo Lifers keep that heat at y'all site.

DeHorror1975

DeHorror1975 said:

This is microsoft doing PR damage control, they were seen as the bad guys this turn and very rightly so. They gimped their system specs in favor of that kinect garbage which is being forced on us, the drm, dead rising fps dropping down to 15, etc. its a bad time for the xbox. Microsoft needs all the PR they can get and thats all this "congratulations" is about, nothing more.

Paranoimia

Paranoimia said:

@Hyperstar96

As I said before, I never claimed that Sony always played nice, only that Microsoft never had - something which I think we can both agree that I've proven beyond doubt.

Any further discussion is pointless. We can go back and forth forever on the finer points, so let's just agree that we have different points of view.

The only thing I will add is that the shouting about PS4 playing used games was something to make a big deal about, not only because of Microsoft's DRM plans at the time, but also the fact that it was heavily rumoured that Sony would be doing something similar with PS4. It was very important that they got the message out there loud and clear, and they did so in some style.