PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is Real, This Trailer Proves It

Posted by James Newton

PaRappa!

Sony's finally confirmed what we've all known for months — PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is real, and it's coming to PS3 later this year.

SuperBot took to the PlayStation Blog to discuss its new brawler, an "accessible yet deep" fighter it hopes will bring all PlayStation fans together. It's only a quick taster, with the meat of the game saved for E3, but we already know it'll feature co-op and competitive multiplayer, with a character roster that includes PaRappa the Rapper, Fat Princess, Kratos, Sly Cooper, Colonel Radec and Sweet Tooth, among others.

Here's the first trailer and screenshots. Expect more at E3 in June.

[via blog.us.playstation.com]

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Looks really fun. It's interesting how the only way to KO people is to perform specials- 3 levels of specials. Seems like Parappa is OP with his Level 3 insta-KO though. Shame it doesn't seem like it'll have the depth Smash Bros. or even Dissidia has. Then again, it's going for something different and too much of the same isn't always the best.

Sly Cooper is interesting... No blocking.. At all.. Just invisibility but you're still able to get hit once you hit that block button. Then again, looks like he's more a defensive ranged character- or simply just a sneak around type which is fitting..

Can't wait to hear more.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Not sure if I'm a fan of the whole combining levels. It looms cool but I would like to see both combined levels and individual levels.

I love how parappa is flat when he moves around.

irken004

irken004 said:

Radec from Killzone series. Insta-buy. Needs Sora and Nathan Drake though.

My only minor disappointment is that the game looks a little bit drab at the moment. Can be easily fixed pre-release with some lighting tweaks.

If you guys want to see lots more of the game, the GTTV episode is great. Confirms third-party characters, single-player campaign, boss fights and more:

EDIT: Also, the LittleBigPlanet stage looks incredible. It builds itself as you play, then Buzz! appears and starts asking you friggin' trivia questions! OMG.

rjejr

rjejr said:

OH! MY! FREAKIN! GOD! They made a Smash Brothers game w/ Sony characters. Not "like" or "sort of" or "similar to", it IS Smash Brothers. I can't believe it.
That said, playing thru the end of Asura's Wrath last night (well not the real real end, or the DL end, just the "I've been cheated end") I was thinking I really want to see Asura fight Kratos. Well minus the godly power able to kill an invivnclble planet anyway. My wife didn't think the tv could hold that much anger though. Maybe some Asura DL character later on?
I still can't believe what a blanant rip-off this is, I watched the video thinking it was a "fan" film. Unbeleivable.
My 7 year old said it was too dark and couldn't tell who anybody was, but he still wants it of course. Maybe as Sammy said they'll tweak it a bit.
So, what's the release date for the game everyone will be calling "Sony Smash Brothers"?

King_Boo

King_Boo said:

It doesn't seem right. How should I put this, it feels like something you'd get if 5 teams were making the same basic game, but came together at the end and mashed it all into a single game. I'll wait for the final product, but I wont be getting my hopes up.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

This is exactly what I wanted. Sure it looks really, really similar to SSB but... it should. Take from the best, right?

I can't freaking wait. Now we pray this doesn't get delayed to Spring 2013! We know how Sony is with delays ;)

ztpayne7

ztpayne7 said:

I think this could be really great. If possible, they would definitely have to put in the early franchises that made playstation popular - like Crash and Spyro. Even if they're owned by different companies, they should try to make that happen.

Also, I'm really gunning to see Sora in it.

ztpayne7

ztpayne7 said:

wait...so I just watched the video posted. Is there no health bar at all? and by video, I meant the link to GTTV.

@Mickeymac @ztpayne7 You're sort of right. The game doesn't have health bars. Your objective is to build up a special meter which can then be used to KO other opponents. The player with the most KOs wins the match.

mamp

mamp said:

This video was funny because it seemed like this guy was trying so hard to avoid saying Smash Bros. while describing what the game was like.

Xerxes

Xerxes said:

@mamp Agreed, I mean this game might actually be good but sony should give credit where credit is due and Smash Bros is OBVIOUSLY the inspiration behind this game.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

I like that Parappa is in a game again since there has not been a game with him in it since the PSP rerelease. I really like the Little Big Planet stage at 0:50 in the video. Day one buy for me, hopefully we see more of the roster, stages and features at E3.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

I doubt Nintendo would sue Sony/Super Bot over this, even if it was nearly the same as Smash Bros.

Cartoon Network Punchtime Explosion inherited characteristics of Smash Bros- having even the "Percentage" meter in it.