Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 141 to 160 of 1,990

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I was chasing freshers hahaha

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Tjuz

I've been playing Dreamfall: The Longest Journey since yesterday. I'd say I'm about 6 hours in? I actually really, really enjoy it so far. Been playing on PC, but it's also available on the original XBOX. I don't think I've ever been this intrigued and into a game's story since... Mass Effect? It's really well written and very well paced. Some frustrating moments, mostly with controls and some minigames (damn those symbols), but otherwise a very enjoyable experience so far. I find myself wanting to find everything and converse with everyone, just to piece together the story of these worlds without relying on main story exposition. It's very well set up, and the way they introduce you to them and gradually add different layers on top of the known lore is great. I'm really getting sucked more and more into these worlds as I play. I hope the main story picks up a bit more soon-ish, but so far I'm far from getting bored. Some fun moments of choices in it too, although nothing too major (yet). Definitely give it a try if you're looking for a fun adventure game with a great story and characters. The puzzles aren't very challenging however, so if that's solely what you look for in an adventure game then I don't think it's for you.

Tjuz

Quintumply

A little late to the party on this one, but I've been massively enjoying The Messenger on Switch. I love the music, the 8/16-bit presentation, the self aware humour, the super tight gameplay, and the simple but effective story. It's also surprisingly long — I was expecting it to wrap up a while ago, but I'm still going. It's a very well made 2D action adventure that's really hit the spot for me. Well worth a go!

Quintumply

PSN: Quintumply | Twitter:

Tasuki

I just started Forza Horizon 4 on the Xbox One and what a gorgeous looking game, mind you I am playing on an original Xbox One and not the S or the X models. This is my first foray into the Forza Horizon games and so far I am enjoying it. I won't lie it's a bit overwhelming for someone new like me right now but I am going to enjoy learning this game and playing it.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

FullbringIchigo

@Tasuki you know i was looking at that game but i'm more of a standard racer like the traditional FORZA and Gran Turismo games but would you say it was worth it?

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Tasuki

@FullbringIchigo If you have the game pass I say it's worth checking it out at the very least. Now was it worth it? For me it was but then again I don't like traditional racers like Forza Motrosport or Gran Turismo.

If you like open world games and racing games then yeah it's worth it IMO. There is alot to do in it besides racing. For example if you find these barns you get cars which you just by exploring and finding them. It's a great game to just relax with if you don't feel like racing or want to take a break from it.

As options go you can make it as sim or arcade as you want. So there that too.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

FullbringIchigo

@Tasuki i might give it a go but i don't have Game Pass

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

Got my Typhoon in AC4 😁

What a plane!
Untitled

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

mookysam

Got round to starting Metal Gear Solid 3 earlier this week. The music is brilliant, especially the tune that plays when you're on alert, and the James Bond inspired title theme seemed very fitting given the 1960's Cold War setting.
As for gameplay, the little changes and additions here and there are welcome and make this quite a jump from Sons of Liberty; in particular the cure menu and need to eat to maintain stamina add a layer of complexity. The lack of a radar certainly makes things more difficult. The general aesthetic of the menus and radio is also very nice, although I found the animation of Snake eating a snake a bit gross, mostly because of the noise! At the moment I'm a little into the Snake Eater portion of the game having just battled Ocelot and then jumped into a cave to escape a swarm of hornets. I like the themes so far and the enemies are as charismatic as in previous entries. Enjoying it so far.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

Started SMT: Digital Devil Saga tonight on my PS2, and played for about 3.5 hours. It's an extremely weird game, but I'm digging it so far. I love the cel-shaded look of this era of SMT games (Nocturne also has this look, and it's quite easy on the eyes). Atlus seems to have opted for a sort of sphere grid system to make up for the lack of recruitable demons (since they opted to make this more like a traditional JRPG in terms of gameplay). In terms of the story, I really have no idea what the hell is going on, but it's some intriguing mix of apocalyptic sci-fi, Hinduism, cannibalism, and gang warfare.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@mookysam Nice! You've mentioned and / or noticed all the right things thusfar.

And I agree, the noise Snake makes when eating is disgusting. I always seemed to find ways to locate Rations and stuck mostly to them whilst playing. Much cleaner!

Every time you talk about MGS, I just wanna start the entire series again. Maybe next year.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@mookysam The lack of radar is massively jarring but makes the game so much better in my opinion. I really liked the camo mechanism in the game and there are plenty of different outfits to find (and unlock as well I seem to remember).

Plus there's the (spoiler!) best hat in any game to be found too

Thrillho

mookysam

@Ralizah Rather ashamed to admit it's been in my backlog since 2007. I'm itching to play it though. How would you say the difficulty compares to Nocturne?

@RogerRoger Oh you should play them all again! I'll talk about it lots until you simply have to. I defeated the Pain earlier. The Cobras are certainly strange, even compared to Dead Cell. I also think The Boss is awesome.

@Thrillho I keep forgetting to change my camouflage, but it is a neat feature. That hat looks like it makes quite a nifty disguise!

Edited on by mookysam

Black Lives Matter

Thrillho

@mookysam Not really a spoiler but you know if you defeat bosses non-lethally that you get some special camo or items for defeating bosses non-lethally?

You've still got some of the best boss fights in the series to come (in my humble opinion)

Thrillho

Ralizah

@mookysam I picked it up in 2015, I believe.

Easier so far than most of the mainline SMT games. Once you unlock skills for a character, you can freely swap them out whenever you find a karma terminal, whereas in Nocturne, if you give up good skills or distribute skills poorly among your current crop of demons you can easily get very stuck in a rut desperately trying to optimize your skillset through demon fusion. There's also just a lot less to worry about with regard to character builds, as there's no equipment, leveling is much more user friendly (I get 3 points to distribute among my stats every level, and pretty often see a random stat increase in addition to this), and you can gain access to skills you haven't actually unlocked thanks to the comboing mechanic, which allows your entire party to use multiple press turns to use powerful skills by combining weaker ones.

I've heard random encounters can get a bit brutal later on, but I haven't had any issues so far.

The game is heavily story-driven and linear so far, with a lot of voice acting and cutscenes.

The cannibalism has been integrated into the actual gameplay, btw. The most efficient way of gaining skill points to unlock different parts of the sphere grid is by weakening and then consuming your foes. It's easier to successfully consume them if you terrify them first by hitting their elemental weakness. It's a bleak game.

Edited on by Ralizah

RogerRoger

Thrillho wrote:

You've still got some of the best boss fights in the series to come (in my humble opinion)

Y'know, I often don't think of the MGS3 boss battles all that much, but when somebody says something like this and I force myself to remember them, it's awesome because it suddenly comes flooding back to me just how absolutely incredible they (well... most of them) are.

I think it's because I'm usually thinking of another, different sequence. Which I'm totally not gonna mention, even in spoiler tags, until @mookysam has finished. Just in case.

Edited on by RogerRoger

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

@Thrillho Yeah, I got a hornet outfit after defeating that boss with the tranq gun.

@Ralizah Haha it sounds up my alley. I enjoy the dark themes explored in the SMT games. Makes a change from most Japanese RPGs!

The difficulty in Nocturne was brutal at times and it was so easy to eff up. I enjoyed it a lot though. The easier difficulty and less need to worry about team builds in DDS sounds like it takes the stress off. If it is much more story focused I'm sure to enjoy it, cannibalism and all.

Black Lives Matter

Ralizah

Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice. Just finished the first case. I had written off this game due to the weird setting, but first impressions are extremely positive. The game is GORGEOUS, and really nails the anime look in a way that dual destinies never could. Really lush, Fire Emblem Fates-esque cutscenes. And I'm actually really liking the way the new setting shakes up the gameplay and themes a bit. In a way, it was actually a brilliant move, because it's easier to buy a lot of the absurd court proceedings in a small country with an explicitly corrupt and broken legal system.

Ralizah

@KratosMD Great! If the first case is any expectation, I expect I'll love it. As a long-time fan of the series, I've been waiting for it to blow me away again like it did with both the original Ace Attorney and the absolutely perfect Trials and Tribulations.

Matroska

I've really got into my 3DS again. I'm replaying the Ace Attorney games alongside Phoenix vs Layton (which is so good, a really great setting and storyline and my favourite 3DS graphics), playing through the Layton series again, and also playing through Fire Emblem in order.

It's all added up to me wanting to get a Switch even though I think it's pretty badly overpriced.

Matroska

PSN: Matroska_

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic