Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 161 to 180 of 1,987

JohnnyShoulder

Just played the demo for Rayman Legends on Switch. Wow, what a fantastic game! I played Origins I think on the 360 and didn't really like it. Legends feels a lot better. The music generally is ace, but that music was awesome, made me wear a big stupid grin.

Think it was on ps+ a few months back, if so it has defo gone up my playlist.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Kidfried

@JohnnyShoulder Rayman Legends is great. As a platformer I think it blows Mario Odyssey out of the water.

Kidfried

Thrillho

@JohnnyShoulder I had Origins on the PS3 but never got very far in it.

I got Legends through PS+ and thought it was great. Not playing Origins much was a bit of a blessing as there are quite a few levels from that in this game. The music levels in the new game are great fun, the daily and weekly challenges are tough, and some of the time trial levels are extremely tough too.

The amount of times it took me to master this level was ridiculous and I only just did it with less than 0.7s to spare!

Thrillho

Ralizah

Rayman Origins and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze are probably the two best level-based platformers I've ever played.

Legends... has some really creative ideas and great level design, but it feels hollow as a complete package.

Still loved it enough to 100% it, though (if you don't count the horrible trophy that requires months of grinding daily challenges to obtain, which I didn't bother pursuing. I like a shiny platinum as much as anyone, but that's insane.)

@Matroska I got my 3DS in 2011 when the price first dropped alongside a copy of Star Fox 64 3D, and I've played it pretty regularly ever since. It was actually the only game system I played on until mid-2013 or so, but it never goes too long without being used. Absolutely my all-time favorite video game console at this point.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

Yukon Solitaire at Cardgames.io

Really find it hard these to play "actual" games on PC, even though there are a lot of them I am interested in, so I resort to these kind of time-wasters.

Kidfried

Thrillho

@Ralizah That trophy is the only one I don't have for Rayman Legends too dammit.

Thrillho

Ralizah

@Thrillho It's crazy how many real world hours you have to put in go get that trophy.

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried @Ralizah @Thrillho Cheers guys. Will defo play it more on PS4. Not really that into playing a game to death just to get a trophy, so will probably give that one a miss.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

RogerRoger

Since I've reached the point where it slots into the show, I'm replaying 24: The Game (PS2) this week. There are far better examples of all of the various types of gameplay it contains, but nobody has ever managed to bottle up a specific atmosphere quite like it does. Love it.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Bonbonetti

I finally got around to connecting my PC to my TV. it's so much nicer (and bigger) than my computer screen. So I've been rejuvinating some of my favourite PC games, most notably race-room-racing-experience, automobilista, and rFactor 2. I might buy a Steam controller for the strategy and adventure games I have on PC. It's nice to have all my gaming platforms in one place and not spread out.

Edited on by Bonbonetti

Bonbonetti

andreoni79

@Bonbonetti I use the PS4 controller to play my PC games.
Playing on the TV is way different than playing on my laptop, it just feels... right!
I don't buy PC games though since I barely have time to play with consoles, but sometimes GOG and Humble Bundle give away games still worthy a try, like Psychonaut and Outcast recently.

Praise the Sun, and Mario too.

PSN: andreoni79

Bonbonetti

@andreoni79 Yeah, I don't play that much on PC anymore either, but I do have a handful of favorites I keep returning to, in genres I have a strong fondness for: racing/driving sims + old-school adventure games. Once in a while I get the urge to envelop my brain in a strategy game and play something I bought ages ago on PC. Like you say, it's sometimes hard to ignore a good Humble sale.

Bonbonetti

RogerRoger

Over the past week, I've once again grappled with trying to complete Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu (PS2) on the standard difficulty level. After repeatedly dying on the penultimate brawl in Arkham Asylum, I finally made it to the endgame, fighting Sin Tzu himself, and it's just utterly ridiculous... and there are TWO other difficulty levels above this? No, just... no. I'm all for challenge but this is just stupid.

So last night I booted up and ran through most of a new save file on James Bond 007: NightFire (PS2), one of my favourite Christmas games. Cheered me right up!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

Pokemon Let's Go! Eevee. It's... cute. Really superior experience in handheld mode, though: the game looks sharper on the smaller screen, you don't have to use inaccurate throwing motions to capture Pokemon, and using the touch screen to massage and feed your starter is perfect.

I've decided to box Eevee and not to capture Pokemon I already have one of to make this a bit more challenging until the post-game.

shonenjump86

Smash Bros Ultimate

Switch Friend Code- SW-7254-3677-0897
Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Mario Kart 8, Capcom Beat em Collection, SNK Heroines.

PlayStation- Shonen86
Fighting games.

Add me if ya like.

PSN: Shonen86

RogerRoger

Yesterday, my partner and I played Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker on Switch. Thanks again to all who helped me decide what to get him; I reckon it was a hit, although we haven't played much thusfar and most of the enjoyment / comedy came from our reactions to the cute little touches or nods to previous Mario games he'd played in his youth.

As for the game itself, it's another I'm gonna have to play for him, as the combination of dual analogue sticks and motion control point-and-click made it a definite challenge (even for me, and I've got full use of both hands and panning a camera around a 3D environment doesn't give me motion sickness). However, that was okay because he was a great help in solving the puzzles and looking for the Toad sprite in the bonus mode. The charm and character made up for that slight downside, and we had a great laugh for a couple hours as we 100% cleared all eighteen levels of Episode One.

But it was interesting because it opened up a wider discussion about how gaming has changed and how our age gap (he's 39, I'm 31) coupled with our choice of consoles (he's Nintendo, I'm SEGA and Sony) has influenced our gaming abilities and tastes in general. After we finished playing Captain Toad, we browsed around the Switch for a while (first time turning it on since February, I think) and found a seven-day free trial of the Nintendo NES subscription service thingie, and he was able to show me some games he still considers classics, like the original Mario games, Gradius, Metroid and Dr. Mario. He was making comments like "just a d-pad, start button, A and B... that's all you ever need" and getting excited about the mechanics of hitting the sweet spot in an old Mario golf game. Meanwhile, I was recoiling in horror at the bleak, nightmarish dystopian version of "gaming" that I was seeing, but that's because I grew up with a MegaDrive and so my baseline is obviously much higher.

We'll carry on with Captain Toad in small bursts as and when I go over at weekends, which is actually kinda perfect given the game's structure. For him, though, it'll definitely be "participating in an experience" rather than "playing a game" and as for me, I'm once again doing something I never thought I'd ever do; fully completing a Nintendo exclusive from start to finish.

And as such, I'm dying to get back to some Hitman 2 later this evening.

Making It So Since 1987

Elodin

Bought NeverWinter Nights EE. For android for $2. On sale. I loved back when it originally came out. Cant wait to start again.

Elodin

kyleforrester87

@Elodin that's cool, I didn't know it was out. I tried playing Baldur's Gate EE on my phone but couldn't get on with it. Seriously thinking about getting a PC in 2019 to pick up some of these games again.. loved NWN.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Elodin

@kyleforrester87 I also had Baldurs Gate, but I play them on my tablet. I tried on my phone, but the icons were just too small and made it a bit frustrating. Nice thing with my tablet is I can screen mirror it to the tv. I liked NWN even better. The d20 rule set is much better than THACO and at $2 it was a steal.

Elodin

JohnnyShoulder

@RogerRoger So basically your partner would be ok with any 2D game?

You could try Wonderboy: The Dragons Trap. Its available on Switch and PS4 and is a remaster of an old Sega Master System game. The new graphics are fantastic, but a press of a button and you can switch between the original graphics and soundtrack. I don't really get nostalgic over video games, but this brought back a lot of happy memories from playing the game on the Master System. Which if memory serves me right, was my first console I had to myself and did not share with my oldrr bro.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic