Forums

Topic: The best Nintendo game of all Time! (Readers Poll Voting Going on Now!!)

Posts 501 to 520 of 761

Ralizah

@Dichotomy Super Metroid, Metroid: Zero Mission, and Metroid Prime are my holy trinity of Metroid games. They're all, in their own ways, practically perfect games that exemplify the best traits of the franchise (emergent, open-ended game design, a sense of isolation, exploration, and fun power-ups). Most of the others are dated (Metroid and Metroid II), are flawed in some fundamental way (Metroid: Other M, Metroid Prime: Federation Force, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes), or are too streamlined and narrative-focused (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and Metroid Fusion).

You definitely wouldn't be the only person who hasn't played this gem. From what I recall, the game didn't sell as well as other Metroid games at the time.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

themcnoisy

@carlos82 hahaha, way too late. I thought I replied to this when you posted but it mustn't have loaded up. But no switch games are not allowed.

@Ralizah It is crazy how super metroid is THE best example of its sub genre even after all these years. I too have never played zero mission - I'm going to be honest I have no idea what it is crazily. Depending on the year I couldve been away with work and have a black spot between the backend of the GC/xbox/ps2 era until a few years into the next gen if it released around then. I couldn't get internet or access to games magazines so I was limited to what I could see and mags / downloads I obtained on holiday. Metroid prime was great, the problem I had with MP was the scanning. I was ocd with things like that prior to trophies and innumerate collectibles In most modern games. It was a relatively novel concept - but I scanned everything for hours at a time! It soured the game somewhat, but it was great - unlike super metroid I do think other games have bettered the fps version.

Edit) just looked it up and it was released in 2004, just before I started working away. I'm quite surprised I have never heard of it as a GBA fan!

Edited on by themcnoisy

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Ralizah

@themcnoisy Zero Mission is basically what happens when Nintendo decided to remake the first Metroid in the image of Super Metroid. I personally prefer ZM, though, because the character movement is snappier (Samus is a bit floaty in Super Metroid), the presentation is more polished, and the climax is... well, super-unique. I'll just say that I never would have imagined that stealth gameplay would work so well in a Nintendo-developed side-scroller.

What games do you think improve on Metroid Prime? I've never played anything that matched its mix of interconnected, open level design, rewarding exploration, and satisfying combat. In a way, it's closer to something like Bloodborne than it is to a first-person shooter.

ztpayne7

Metroid zero mission - 3 pts
Zelda nes - 3 pts
Duck tales - 1 pt

ztpayne7

Jairo_MC

@Ralizah Metroid: Zero Mission is my favorite Metroid game, and my favorite GBA game. I played Super Metroid to the end for the first time last year and it was a blast, but ZM is still better. Fusion is also pretty good, being my first Metroid game and, despite all the complaints, I really liked Other M and enjoyed Federation Force for what it was.
I haven't played the Metroid Prime Trilogy, but I have the first on a GC disc and I bought the Trilogy for Wii U. Some day, I'll get around to playing them as I hear great things about those games.

Jairo_MC

PSN: Jairo_MC | Twitter:

themcnoisy

What games do you think improve on Metroid Prime?

Bioshock, Deus Ex for gameplay mechanics and for atmosphere in space Alien Isolation, dead space and mass effect. Unreal tournament and Quake 3 were ultimately better shooters out around the same time, obviously way different but moving from those PC classics to Metroid Prime was really difficult for me. As a console shooter at the time it was great, but I had more fun with timesplitters on the GC. Not to mention Allied assault and even half life back on PC.

I'm glad you asked though as it does beg the question why more games dont incorporate a twisting turning layout which folds back on itself.

Last few hours until Round 3. Get your votes in asap or forever hold your piece.

Ralizah

@themcnoisy I guess the big difference is that I've never thought of M. Prime as a shooter, despite it ostensibly being a first-person shooter. More of a first-person exploration adventure with some shooting involved. I guess it's the same way with Breath of the Wild: it's absolutely an open world adventure game, but there's such a huge emphasis on actual exploration and environmental interactions that it feels very different than any other open world game I've ever played.

Then again, this could just be subconscious snobbery from a Nintendo fanboy. Who knows?

@Jairo_MC Yeah, Zero Mission is a masterpiece. I'll admit I probably prefer it over Super Metroid because I played this years and years ago, but didn't play Super Metroid until a few years ago. As such, I have no experiential appreciation for Super Metroid as a groundbreaker in its own time. Still a fantastic game, though, with a really haunting atmosphere. Which is another thing I might prefer about Zero Mission, actually: it feels isolated but fun and adventurous, whereas Super Metroid borders on being a horror game at times.

Prime 1 feels like classic Metroid in a first-person perspective. Looking back, it's funny how uncertain people were about it. A first-person shooter from a Western studio based on the Metroid license sounded dubious at best.

Edited on by Ralizah

themcnoisy

Result

Group J

Lylat Wars / Star Fox 64, N64 - 31
Metroid Zero Mission, GBA - 21

Advance Wars, GBA - 18
The Legend of Zelda, Nes - 18
Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver, DS - 14
Ducktales, Nes

The final group is over and Lylat Wars and Metroid Zero Mission go through with a tough challenge from Advance Wars and The Legend of Zelda which both slighty miss out on the best of the rest places

Coming up is a quick rundown of every game in round 3!

Edited on by themcnoisy

themcnoisy

Games Straight into Round 3

Super Mario 64 N64
Bayonetta 2 Wii U
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze Wii
Zelda Ocarina of Time N64
Super Mario Sunshine GC
Zelda A link to the past Snes
Conkers Bad Fur Day N64
Super Metroid Snes
Mario Kart 8 Wii U
Goldeneye N64
Chrono Trigger Snes
Super Smash Bros Melee GC
Zelda A link between worlds 3DS
Zelda Majorcas Mask N64
Zelda The Windwaker GC
Super Mario Galaxy Wii
Metroid Prime GC
Super Mario World Snes
Fire Emblem Awakening 3DS
Final Fantasy 6 Snes
Lylat Wars N64
Metroid Zero Mission GBA

Games through to round 3 in Purgatory

Super Mario Bros 3 Nes
Zelda Twilight Princess GC / Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 2 Wii
Earthbound Snes
Super Smash Bros Wii U
Pokemon Gold / Silver GB
Banjo-Kazooie N64
Donkey Kong Country Snes
Soul Calibur 2 GC
Mario Kart 64

19 Points was the cutoff point, both MK 64 and Soul Calibur hung on in. Are you happy with all the games in the top 32? Did any game get a tough draw? Round 3 will kick off later tonight with brand new rules.

themcnoisy

Round 3

Rules
Pick one game to automatically go into round 4 from the 32 games below. Obviously check what the commentors prior to you have picked so you dont waste your vote. We want 24 games in the next section so you may get another pick in 24 hours time. But try to pick as soon as possible!

Banjo-Kazooie N64
Bayonetta 2 Wii U picked
Chrono Trigger Snes
Conkers Bad Fur Day N64 picked
Donkey Kong Country Snes picked
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze Wii
Earthbound Snes
Final Fantasy 6 Snes picked
Fire Emblem Awakening 3DS picked
Goldeneye N64 picked
Lylat Wars N64
Mario Kart 64
Mario Kart 8 Wii U
Metroid Prime GC picked
Metroid Zero Mission GBA
Pokemon Gold / Silver GB picked
Soul Calibur 2 GC picked
Super Mario 64 N64 picked
Super Mario Bros 3 Nes picked
Super Mario Galaxy 2 Wii
Super Mario Galaxy Wii picked
Super Mario Sunshine GC picked
Super Mario World Snes picked
Super Metroid Snes
Super Smash Bros Melee GC
Super Smash Bros Wii U picked
Zelda A link between worlds 3DS picked
Zelda A link to the past Snes picked
Zelda Majorcas Mask N64
Zelda Ocarina of Time N64 picked
Zelda The Windwaker GC picked
Zelda Twilight Princess GC / Wii picked

Pick your favourite from these games! I will update as often as possible. You cant edit your choices

Edited on by themcnoisy

Speedy67

Soul Calibur 2.

We all know the world needs Kentucky Fried Duck.
My website: https://stuffandthatreviews.wordpress.com/

PSN: Skymister01 | Twitter:

Speedy67

Damn, no Smash Bros. in there. That isn't right!!

We all know the world needs Kentucky Fried Duck.
My website: https://stuffandthatreviews.wordpress.com/

PSN: Skymister01 | Twitter:

TreasureFan

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Although I love the vast majority of games chosen on this list, my nostalgia for A Link to the Past overcomes them all.

TreasureFan

themcnoisy

@KratosMD @Tasuki @TreasureFan @Speedy67 Thanks for the early votes, you may get a second choice depending on the vote turnout - potentially it could be fastest finger first so look out for that tomorrow evening.

My choice.

Mario 64

Such a tough choice with Mario 3, Super Mario World, Sunshine, Goldeneye and Windwaker all growling at me right now but heck, jumping into paintings and woo hoooing will never ever get old. BA do ba ba ba ba. (tune at the start of each level)

mookysam

Zelda: Twilight Princess

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Dichotomy

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

Dichotomy

BAMozzy

Conkers Bad Fur Day

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Octane

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN)

Octane

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.