What do you do at the shrines on Iki Island in Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut? In the Iki Island expansion, there are three strange wind shrines located across the map: the Blood-Stained Shrine, the Shrine of Ash, and the Shrine in Shadow. In this Ghost of Tsushima guide, we're going to detail how to solve their riddles.
Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut - How to Solve the Iki Island Shrines
Below, we've listed all of the things you'll need to do in order to solve the Iki Island shrines. But before we get to the details, what's the actual point of these shrines?
Well, if you can solve the riddle of each shrine, you'll be granted unique armour cosmetics. These cosmetics are based on other PlayStation properties, and are also available in the game's Legends co-op mode.
Here's what each shrine represents:
- Blood-Stained Shrine: This shrine is a reference to the PS4 action RPG, Bloodborne. The altar is painted with a blood moon — a constant image throughout the game — with boxes and candles scattered around the area (objects commonly found in Bloodborne's environments).
- Shrine of Ash: This shrine is a reference to the 2018 PS4 action game, God of War. A tree with a glowing handprint is next to the altar. It also has an axe stuck in it. Such trees appear in God of War, near the start of the game. What's more, chains are scattered across the rocks around the shrine. Kratos, God of War's main character, traditionally uses weapons called the Blades of Chaos. These blades are chained to Kratos' arms.
- Shrine in Shadow: This shrine is a reference to PS2 action game, Shadow of the Colossus (which was also remade for PS4). The altar has a glowing pattern, which has been stabbed with a blade. In Shadow of the Colossus, patterns like this mark weak points on the bodies of giant colossus enemies. There's also fur draped across the altar. In Shadow of the Colossus, colossus fur can be grabbed and scaled.
Now then, to solve each shrine, you need to wear certain armour and perform a certain action. Again, all of the answers are below.
The riddle for the Blood-Stained Shrine is:
The first green of spring
sickens to black, decaying,
plagued by blood and beast.
Hunter, reject death's allure.
Prepare to duel man's frailty.
The clues are to "reject death's allure", and "prepare to duel".
How to Solve the Blood-Stained Shrine
- Equip the Kensei Armor. This armor is unlocked through completing all of the ronin duels — the answer to "prepare to duel". (For more information on armor, check this guide: Ghost of Tsushima: Best Armor and All Armor Sets You Can Unlock.)
- Heal yourself in front of the shrine statue (you may need to damage yourself first). This is the answer to "reject death's allure".
For solving the Blood-Stained Shrine, you get:
- Yharnam Helm (Helmet)
- Yharnam Vestments (Kensei Armor dye)
Shrine of Ash
The riddle for the Shrine of Ash is:
In fall, a tree fruits
which grows from seed to sapling,
A stranger and son.
Boy, honor your father's fight
Show him the strength of your blade.
The clues are "honor your father's fight", and "show him the strength of your blade".
How to Solve the Shrine of Ash
- Equip the Sakai Clan Armor. This was once the armor of Jin's father. It's the answer to "honor your father's fight". (For more information on armor, check this guide: Ghost of Tsushima: Best Armor and All Armor Sets You Can Unlock.)
- Stand in front of the shrine statue, and draw your sword with the Stone Stance equipped (don't just attack — you need to draw your sword using the touchpad). The Stone Stance is Jin's default sword style — the style of Clan Sakai. This is the answer to "show him the strength of your blade".
For solving the Shrine of Ash, you get:
- Helm of War (Helmet)
- Spartan (Mask)
- Ghost of Sparta (Sakai Clan Armor dye)
Shrine in Shadow
The riddle for Shrine in Shadow is:
Stone knows no season,
nor the colossus that was
felled to save one soul.
Wanderer, come like through mist,
a ghost casting no shadow.
The clues are "come like through mist" and "a ghost".
How to Solve the Shrine in Shadow
- Equip the Ghost Armor. This is obviously the answer to "a ghost". (For more information on armor, check this guide: Ghost of Tsushima: Best Armor and All Armor Sets You Can Unlock.)
- Use a smoke bomb in front of the shrine statue. Smoke bombs obscure Jin's presence, so this is the answer to "come like through mist".
- Mask of the Colossus (Mask)
- Armor of the Colossus (Ghost Armor dye)
Have you solved the Iki Island shrines? Claim your answers in the comments section below, and be sure to check out our massive Ghost of Tsushima guide for much more help with the game.