Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 341 to 360 of 1,585

BAMozzy

@crippyd What 4k TV did you get? I had a 4k TV in 2014 but had to replace that in 2016 to get HDR and full bandwidth HDMI's with HDCP 2.2 support and HDR (of course). I still have a 1080p TV in the bedroom but will replace that with my 'current' 4k HDR TV as soon as I can - very tempted by the LG B7 OLED (best 2017 gaming TV) but with HDMI 2.1 on the horizon and the XBX capable of using Game VRR and (hopefully) Atmos via 'eARC' (it only has one HDMI out so I assume it can be upgraded to HDMI 2.1 to offer the 4k/60 HDR, Atmos and Game VRR all through 1 HDMI cable - the extra bandwidth of HDMI 2.1 should make that a possibility.

As such, I am hanging fire with any possible upgrade to my TV. I want a HDMI 2.1, 4k HDR (HDR10, HDR10+ and HLG - DV would be a nice bonus but not essential) with eARC (on at least 1 port), HFR and Game VRR (across all ports - as I assume PS5 will also add AMD's Freesync too). Maybe the 2018 TV's will have this to really take advantage of everything the Xbox 'X' (and no doubt PS5) can offer. I am also hanging fire on upgrading my Audio system until I know which Receivers will support eARC and offer Atmos. It would be a 'bonus' if they also offer HDMI2.1 pass through too but the way I prefer to set-up, the eARC is most important...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

crippyd

It's a KD-55X8509C SONY and I'm sure I picked a bit of a bum set. I've had a couple of issues which software updates have resolved but the insight into dark scenes is quite lacking. It is an early 2015 model which I've had for about 2 years.

crippyd

BAMozzy

@crippyd I am familiar with it and its not a 'bad' TV but it released before HDR and Sony haven't exactly gone out of their way to make their TV's competitive. Only their 'top' models can deliver the minimum standards of HDR and even 2yrs on, they are still not overly 'competitive' with game modes and HDR performance compared to Samsung, LG and Panasonic.

I was in a similar position last year - with SkyQ, PS4 Pro and XB1s all offering 4k with 2 of those offering HDR. As a result, I ended up having to replace my 2yr old 4k TV with a new 4k UHD Premium TV. My 2014 4k TV was very limited - only HDMI2.0 (not a or b) and only 1 port accepting HDCP2 so it wouldn't of worked with all 3 devices - not without constantly switching HDMI's. Also only a SDR TV too...

Trouble is, 4k HDR TV's are not cheap and with UHD Premium TV's still not capable of delivering close to the 'top' mastering standards, there is scope for improvements in all areas - brighter, wider colours, higher bit depth too - and of course HDMI 2.1 feature set too. Until we get 12bit, 100% REC2020, 4000 (or even 10000) nit peak brightness without sucking up electricity at 'commercial' rates and requiring a water cooler too stop them overheating at that level, we could see year on year improvements - but that's no different from a lot of electronic products.

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

crippyd

@BAMozzy I will be replacing my TV in the not too distant future as I am thinking of getting a 60 or 65" set but those models are in the £2500 - £3000 range and currently that is a bit on the expensive side. I like the look of the set you've been extolling the virtues of and I think I should be able to pick one of those up at a decent price or I might just have to put some cash to one side and go big.

Edited on by crippyd

crippyd

Gamer83

@Tasuki
Thanks. And you may not have to save up too much if you have a Toys R Us near you. They're not doing in-store pre-orders but the company did announce it will have SNES Classics at its stores on launch, which I believe is a Friday.

Gamer83

themcnoisy

Age of Empires 2.

Havent played this for yonks.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

BAMozzy

@crippyd The ones I would recommend from 2017 are likely to be a 'bit' more than £2.5-3k for a 65" model - although if you shop around, the prices are 'dropping' slowly - the LG B7 (HDTV's best 'gaming' TV of 2017 - as well as being one of the best all round TV's too) can be found for £3k at 65" the 55" can be found for around £2k.

Unfortunately, OLED prices are 'high' and LCD's are 'great' but not perfect. In 2016, Samsung's KS Series (which can still be found at 65"+) was extremely popular, mostly because they were the cheapest UHD Premium TV's with the best Input Lag too. For the money, they couldn't be beaten and the 'OLEDs' had a 'few' issues too. However, in 2017, Samsung changed the names to QLEDs and whacked the price up to 'compete' with OLEDs BUT the PQ of LCD's are not at the same level. As great as they can be, If you are spending £2.5-3k on a 55" TV, you want the 'best' that that money can buy. Last year, even though the KS series was 'expensive', a 55" TV could be £1400 to £1800 (depending on model) but that was £1k+ less than the cheapest OLED and like I said, last years OLEDs were not 'perfect' so it wasn't worth spending the extra £1k+ to get a TV that was 'strong' in some categories but beaten by a much cheaper TV in a lot of others.

The trouble is, like the Pro and 'X', trying to sell 4k HDR (proper UHD Premium certified HDR) to people with SDR TV's isn't easy. Those with SDR TVs/monitors/phones etc cannot exactly see the benefits that HDR brings - similar to trying to sell a 4k HDR console to 1080p SDR TV owners. Then of course is the price and the unscrupulous Sales men as well as TV manufacturers who continue to make SDR TV's with HDR capable HDMI ports and sell that as a 'HDR' TV for less than £1k. Those that buy, get home and see a 4k SDR image with a bit more brightness, which obviously looks better than their 1080p SDR TV and think that it is 'better' but can't see what the fuss is all about. In some content, HDR is too dark and lacking any 'punch' - because its darkened all the main content just to fit a few specular highlights in - highlights that should be between 200 and 1000nits are now compressed between 100 and 200nits. Incidentally an SDR image, if calibrated should be between 100-200nits depending on ambient conditions. When faces (for example) are at 80-90nits in SDR but compressed to 40nits to fit the highlights in, then the overall look is much too dark. Eurogamer has tested some of these TV's for their best 4k HDR gaming TV's and said most, if not all, budget HDR TV's are not suited to HDR gaming and its better to turn HDR off.

Its getting way off topic now. I just hope this information is useful - not just for you but anyone else that reads it...

Tasuki

@Gamer83 Unfortunately I work that day and my schedule is very restricted. Sadly I don't think I can get anyone to get one for me either and I doubt they will have any left by the time I get off of work.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Tasuki

Not quite sure what it is, I believe it's a Famicom or Super Famicom clone system but I saw this at work and thought it was interesting and I was able to buy it so I figure for $10 what the heck. Unfortunately it didn't come with any wires so I am not even sure if it works but still.

Untitled

My Backlog

DerMeister

I recently got a 3DS, specifically the Fire Emblem Awakening version, and I got Fire Emblem Echoes with it. Yesterday I decided to get Super Smash Bros. for it, mostly because I needed something to play while I go to the laundromat.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

Ralizah

Have yet to play Echoes, since the three Fates campaigns REALLY burned me out on the series for a good while.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

@Tasuki Awesome, never seen one before. Will Snes cables work with it?

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Tasuki

@Rudy_Manchego Don't think so as the port is different on a SNES. Fun fact the SNES, N64 and Gamecube can use the same cables as the ports are the same. This clone system is looks like just regular AV cables will work.

My Backlog

DerMeister

@KratosMD I've played Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, and used to own a reproduction cart of Binding Blade (Roy's game, which still has yet to release outside of Japan). Some jerk stole it off me, unfortunately.

Echoes really is a weird beast in the series, but I welcome it. I've had a blast with it so far.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

RR529

Put in a pre-order for Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS). Should definitely be finished with Planet Robobot when it releases, as I've already unlocked the final world. Great game, though.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

themcnoisy

@Tasuki did you ever find out what the console is or does? I quite like the look of it.

I picked up stunt race fx in its box for £15 on the snes and an original Mario bros cart only for £14. They are both going in my retirement collection. Ive also bought a couple of sim games on gog ones set in renaissance europe and you trade and build up an empire (I think its called pediatrician). So hard to wrap my head around the systems but its really good so far.

Ive set next Thursday aside to visit a few shops dotted around the North West with the aim to buy a full hotas or at least a joystick and any cheap peripherals for the laptop. I would love to find a shop which lets you test stuff out like a music shop.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

BAMozzy

I have been on a bit of buying/pre-ordering spree. All those months of saving, being very selective over the games I have purchased in anticipation for November 7th. I couldn't resist Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and Horizon: Zero Dawn and DLC - also pre-ordered and paid for ME:A in early 2016 but (in general) this year, I have really tried to keep all my expenditure to a minimum - not just gaming. Fortunately (or not), I no longer have a Car or Mobile phone and these can eat into anyones budgets, no longer have 'young' kids or went on holiday (two other big expenses). Also not had any 'unexpected' expenses, like a washing machine pack up etc. Therefore, I had a 'good' sized budget - more than enough to pre-order my Project Scorpio edition XB1X as well as some games that will be enhanced. Of course some of the games I own on XB1, games like Gears 4, FH3, Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and Sunset Overdrive will be enhanced but I have played those so wanted something 'new' to play too.

With that in mind, and the fact I will be celebrating my Birthday in a few months, I have pre-ordered a 'few' games. In order of release, I have pre-ordered Destiny 2 Limited Edition (may get the PS4 version too) for September, Forza 7, Evil Within 2, Assassin's Creed: Origins - Gold edition, Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus for October, CoD:WW2 Pro Edition and Star Wars: Battlefront 2 - Elite Trooper edition for November and finally Spider-Man for my PS4 (I did think about Days Gone but I think Spider-Man will arrive sooner and may have a Special/collectors edition - something I wasn't so sure I would want with SM). These, along with my Xbox One X, is my Birthday/Christmas (and any other 'holiday' presents) for 2017. I got some 'good' deals, thanks to retailers having Discount codes and money off Gamescom related Pre-orders.

I thought about Project Cars 2, NFS: Payback, Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 (a guilty pleasure LOL), Shadow of War (although didn't play the previous), Farcry 5 and 'maybe' Vampyre (if that does get a 2017 date) but my budget wouldn't quite stretch to these as well and the 'above' games appealed slightly more . I did have to flip a virtual coin to decide between Forza and PC2...

Those, along with any freebies from IGC/GwG should see me through the 'next' 5-10months until the next games I want start releasing and E3 comes around to get me 'hyped' for 2018's holiday season.

Tasuki

@themcnoisy It's a Famiclone which is a Famicom clone system. From what I gathered is it was available around the same time as the Famicom so I am thinking that it's a Chinese made one. So it plays Famicom games, or it does if it works. I haven't tried it out yet mainly cause I have been super busy and I don't have any Famicom games to test it on.

My Backlog

WiiWareWave

Holy COW! A friend of mine sent me a spare download code for Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 for PS3 and it actually worked despite being delisted quite a longtime ago! I'm pretty stoked about my new game! ^_^

Edited on by WiiWareWave

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

PSN: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

Rudy_Manchego

Just bought Sonic Mania for the Switch as opposed to PS4 just because I wanted something else to play in the Switch. Only ever really played the Sonic games at my cousins house on his Genesis and I really sucked at it. Tried it now and I still really suck at it. Really nice looking game though.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic