Forums

Topic: Recent Retro/Misc Gaming Purchases? (Not PS4/PS5)

Posts 361 to 380 of 1,585

Tasuki

@Rudy_Manchego That's something that would have not only blown my 12 year old mind but probably wouldn't even make sense. Buying a Sonic game for a Nintendo system.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Rudy_Manchego

@Tasuki Ha Ha - I know - so when you turn it on, it has Licensed by Nintendo with the Nintendo and Switch Logo and then it has the classic 'SEGA' logo and voiceover. This is so so alien to me.

That reminds me, I actually found sets of old Sega trading cards from the early 90's at my parents house with all the old classic games on them. Nostalgia week!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

WiiWareWave

I just purchased Pac Man Museum and Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm: Revolution for PS3 for a tenner! I would have also gotten Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization for Vita if I had the funds, but I'm still happy with my purchase!

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

PSN: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

BAMozzy

@Tasuki I have moved on from that now - since Sonic has been on a variety of Nintendo consoles - even appearing with Mario! Mario and Sonic at the Olympics for example... Seeing them in the same game makes anything possible!!

Sonic actually appeared on the Gamecube and every Nintendo Console since has had a few Sonic games too.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

Tasuki

@BAMozzy I know, but it still amazes me lol. Just thinking back to my youth when that was considered sacrilege. It would be like seeing Ronald McDonald outside a Burger King, somethings you just don't get use to.

My Backlog

BAMozzy

@Tasuki It was quite shocking - considering the Dreamcast was competing with the Gamecube at one point but Sonic on the Gamecube was 15yrs ago now. My youngest who is rapidly approaching adulthood has never known any different. Whole generation of gamers now would not have been alive when Sonic would 'never' have appeared on a Nintendo console. They grew up in a time when Sonic and Mario were competing in the same game and most of Sonic's games have been on a Nintendo. I remember buying Sonic Unleashed on Wii for my son after he enjoyed Shadow the Hedgehog on my 'Xbox'.

I guess I got used to it quickly having quite a few Sonic games on various 'non-Sega' consoles - as well as the Sega Megadrive collection. Also I guess never being limited to one camp or the other and never understanding why people could be so petty about it either. I played the Original Donkey Kong on a BBC model B computer more than I played it on a 'Nintendo' so these things were never sacrilege to me. Of course they were 'icons' for their respective Brand but I also had a lot of Sega games on my Home Computer in the 80's - games like Out Run, Space Harrier etc. If I wanted to play certain games, I would. I was never and still not affiliated to any 'brand' and buy devices that allow me to play the games I want. I used to laugh at the petty squabbles over Nintendo vs Sega or Mario vs Sonic. I still find it amazing that people still behave this way - like Sony vs MS, CoD vs BF etc that if you buy one, you cannot like or buy the other...

Its not like Sega have their own console anymore to release their games on. I bet most here have played a Sega game on a non-Sega console...

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Tasuki

@BAMozzy Oh I bet you are right that most gamers now a days have never played a Sonic game on a Sega systems (unless of course they are into retro gaming). I know I never under stood it either but when I grew up In was lucky enough to have both a Genesis and a SNES so it never made sense to me. I mean I could understand maybe liking Sonic games more because of the speed or level design over Mario but liking one over the other because of the company??

Heck it still puzzles me that people only behave this way when it comes to video games. You don't see people going bonkers over liking Mc Donalds over Burger King or Nike over Reebok. Not sure what makes gaming so special, haha.

My Backlog

BAMozzy

@Tasuki Yeah - its like only watching Universal movies and hating Paramount or Warner Bros. In an ideal situation, I would love to see a console that plays 'every' game - whether its Sony, MS or Nintendo. At most, those 3rd party deals where you get DLC a few weeks or so early are for say Sony games on a Sony built Console or MS games on an MS built console. People have the 'choice' to buy 'either' console based on the OS, design, maybe Apps or even Controller layout but buying either would still grant you access to all games.

You don't buy a Sony Bluray player that only plays Sony Blurays. Even today, Apple Mac's and PC's are similar and can run most of the same software. I know that there would still be people saying Sony is better than MS or vice versa even if they all run the same games to the same standards. It would be much better for Sony/MS etc too as they would have a much larger market to sell their games and of course, the MP games would benefit by not being split into separate groups. Titanfall 2 for example could have more people in the lobbies, meaning more chance to find a game in the mode you want to play and better quality matches. If they sell 5m for example, that's 5m potential online gamers to fill the MP lobbies - not a few million on one platform or the another separated by the fact you happen to have a certain console whilst others happened to buy a different option.

You don't get PC gamers separated because they bought AMD whilst the others are on nVidia. Maybe Sony would of lost a few console sales this 'generation' if this how things worked - maybe not. If it looked the best and, like I said, offered maybe some deals like early access to Sony's own games or DLC they may well still of sold more than MS - even if they were identically powered. Besides any lost revenue from consoles could easily be made back by the increased revenue from selling games to a larger market. I am sure Sega sold more games by releasing on all platforms compared to how many they would of sold had they kept in the console market. I think its a shame that games like Horizon:ZD for example has only reached around 4m compared to the 100m or so Consoles that have been Sold and then of course all the potential PC gamers they could have reached...

Of course I can't see that happening. If that did, you would probably see Apple, Samsung, LG, Acer, HP etc all making a 'console' too so the hardware wouldn't be split between just 2 but 6-7 companies. Sony or MS would lose at least 1 sale from people like me who buy both too - assuming they are still making a sizeable profit to matter. Then there is the Subscriptions too - although maybe they could still offer these - but maybe more like EA Access or like PS+ used to be on the PS3.

I do find it annoying though, that even if you share the same interests in gaming, the choice of Platform can still separate the fan base. Liking the Witcher 3, enjoying the story etc is somehow wrong if you don't play it on PC because that is 60fps or more. If you have to play it on console, it has to be the PS4 because its 1080p and therefore 'superior' - at least until the Pro and Xbox X enhanced versions. You can't be united because you all enjoy the game...

DerMeister

I got Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D for my 3DS. I've always wanted to play it, and while I was hoping I'd play the original 64 version first, I decided to take the plunge. This will only be the third Zelda game I've played.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

WiiWareWave

I received Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA for Vita yesterday! Loving it to bits at the moment. It is by far one of the best looking Vita titles available at present. Most of my PS3 JRPG's don't even look this good!

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

PSN: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

Gamer83

Finally righted an idiotic wrong from a few years ago and bought an original Wii. Playing through Super Mario Galaxy 2 again for the first time in a long while and it's still the same fantastic experience I remember.

Gamer83

Rudy_Manchego

I got Samus Returns for 3dS friday and have been loving every second of that.

Also had an amazing retro haul at a local charity shop where someone had literally donated over a hundred different games for several platforms where they were selling them for £1. Picked up for PS2, Beyond Good and Evil, Resident Evil 4, The Thing, Metal Gear Solid 3. Also got COD:MW3 for PS3 because I had never played 3. To be honest, I bought them more from a collection standpoint as I have a few of them on other platforms but couldn't let them go at that price!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

RR529

Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS) - Really addicting, lol. Just finished off the last Metroid in Area 5. Think I'm getting close to the end because I'm getting what are usually end game upgrades. Great so far.

Also, I haven't purchased any new tables in awhile, but have been getting quite a few new high scores on my digital pinball tables.

Zen:

South Park: Super Sweet Pinball - 238,000,000
Sorcerer's Lair - 139,000,000
Alien Isolation - 20,000,000

TPA:

Bride of Pinbot - 1,045,000,000
Medieval Madness - 64,000,000
Black Hole - 3,800,000
Taxi - 3,220,000
Black Knight - 1,500,000

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

KitsuneNight

xenoblade chronicles on the wii U for 28 euro

KitsuneNight

Tasuki

Went to the flea market this past Sunday and ended up getting the following

Batman Returns Sega CD — $5
Mega Man X SNES — $15
Sid Meier's Pirates Xbox — $4

I never played Batman Returns on Sega CD before, always stuck with the SNES version but for 5 dollars I figured why not.

Sid Meier's Pirates was a great surprise. I remember playing this game on the PC and NES when I was a kid and loving it. I remember when this remake came out in early 2000's for the PC and Xbox and later on the Wii but I never played it despite loving the original. I guess I was afraid that it wouldn't hold up to the expectations of the original but I am happy to say it did. It even plays flawlessly on the 360. Going to be sinking (no pun intended) alot of time into this game for sure.

My Backlog

Rudy_Manchego

@Tasuki I loved Batman Returns on the SNES. Is it pretty much the same game on CD or is there anything else on it?

Tasuki

@Rudy_Manchego Not at all. From what 8 have gathered it's more of a platformer kinda like Batman on the NES with some driving stages added in, where as the SNES and NES Batman Returns are brawlers.

My Backlog

Rudy_Manchego

@Tasuki oh right. I can remember Batman on the NES as being rock hard. However, I found most game on the NES rock hard as a child!!

Tasuki

Preordered Mario Odyssey for the Switch. Played a demo of it at Best Buy and I will say it's the best 3D Mario game I have played and I don't like 3D Mario games. Can't wait for it to come out on Friday.

My Backlog

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic