Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 3,101 to 3,120 of 7,479

johncalmc

Octane wrote:

Breath of the Wild is 720p with sub-30fps in handheld mode. How is that going to work in VR?

Badly.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Kidfried

Leave the VR to the adults, Nintendo.

Kidfried

themcnoisy

The labo VR is a gimmick. Without a point of reference in the form of a stationary camera or sensors away from the unit you won't have accurate in and out movement.

No doubt Nintendo will do some good stuff on it - but no way I'm on board.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

RR529

@Octane, @Kidfried, @johncalmc, I'm willing to bet the Odyssey & BotW support will more than likely just be a stereoscopic 3D effect, rather than "true" VR, but that'll still be cool. In such a scenario I don't see why the low res & 30 FPS would be any more likely to make someone sick than playing on 3DS.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

In fairness, Labo VR is a fraction of the price of even PSVR, which itself is a fraction of the price of higher-end VR headsets.

You get what you pay for.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Kidfried

@Ralizah You'll get your money's worth, just like when you have 10 euro, want to buy a car and get a cardboard car. It's not a rip off or anything, but why would you want the product in the first place?

Kidfried

Ralizah

@Kidfried Nintendo seems to be adding support for some of their first party games. Even if it's obviously not a robust VR option, if you're a huge Nintendo fan and it allows you revisit some of your favorite current-gen software in a fun way, it could easily be worth it. It's not a separate platform like PSVR, but it's also not priced like one, so it's clearly aimed at a different demographic.

If it was comfortable and made BotW an even funner experience, I'd probably spring for it. I don't really like assembling stuff, though, and I have my doubts about it could improve one's experience with the game in the first place, so I'll probably pass, but even I could see a scenario where I'd be interested.

Rudy_Manchego

I impulse bought Darksiders for Switch as it was mispriced in Game for under £20 and I fancied giving it a go.

Also playing through Hyrule Warriors while I am away and it is a welcome change of pace from Sekiro. Fun game.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Ralizah

Untitled

Jesus christ!

OK. Yeah. I'm never using this.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

@Octane I'd be inclined to call that image satirical if I didn't know for a fact that it was official.

I hope this stupid thing bombs like the other Labo sets.

RR529

Finished up Yoshi's Crafted World this morning. Absolutely lovely game.

There is a ton of variety on offer as the game consists of 20 or so mini-worlds each with 2 or 3 levels apiece, and no two levels share the same aesthetic (for example, the space themed world consists of a level where you're climbing up a rocket before launch, one in deep space, and another on a high tech space station), and the whole paper craft theme that's infused into everything is just the cherry on top that shows the devs put every last ounce of their creativity and love into it.

Gameplay itself is solid platforming fare, with the levels generally being long and focused on poking around for secrets rather than straight up platforming skill like DKC:TF or NSMBUD (it does get harder as is goes on, but at least in the main game, I never felt like it got as hard as the previously mentioned games, at least to get to level's end). There are tons of smiley flowers to collect, with each level hiding 5 to 8 of the things, plus 3 more for collecting at least 100 coins, collecting all 20 red coins in a level, and finishing with full health. Then you can play each level in reverse to find three Poochie Pups, which will net you yet 3 more flowers (and a 4th if you manage to do so within a time limit). Then there's scavenger hunts issued to you by characters on the world map that see you heading back into previously completed levels to hit specific items in the background to earn yet even more flowers (there are 4 scavenger hunt missions in the first level alone, 2 on the front side, and 2 on the flip side, so in total you can obtain 16-17 flowers from that one level alone). The post game levels look like they're going all in on pure platforming skill though, so you have those waiting for you if you're into that.

In addition to the regular levels there are many gimmick levels as well, such as one where you're riding in a Yoshi robot destroying everything in your path, a solar powered car race, target shooting "safari" on the back of a train, and more (your performance on these is often graded, with how high a score you obtained determining the amount of smiley flowers you're rewarded). These are a bit hit & miss.

Bosses weren't that challenging, but were all pretty fun & creative, and I just want to give a shout out to the hilarious interactions between Kamek & Baby Bowser, which always put a smile on my face.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Heavyarms55

@RR529 Sounds great, I've only played the first few levels so far, been engrossed in Stein;Gate Elite otherwise, How long would you say the game is in hours played?

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

RR529

Just got to the secret final boss in Yoshi's Crafted World. Tried it at least 10 times, but it's just beyond my ability.

To be fair the first 3 phases aren't that bad. After 2 or 3 tries I had them down pretty much perfectly other than an unlucky hit here or there, but the last section in the Robot Yoshi gets me every time, even though I know what's going to be coming. In general I'm bad at the Robot Yoshi itself, even in it's main game level, so the fact that you have to knock back every single projectile without missing one in order to hit Kamek, and to do it I'm assuming three times in a row, with each wave being more difficult than the last, is just beyond my capabilities. I even gave in and decided to use a costume, but since that doesn't actually make you better at the game it only delayed the inevitable.

Then again I never beat Darker Side in SMO as well, and apparently that's like the easiest of the secret final Mario levels, so maybe it's just me.

@Heavyarms55, I beat the main adventure in pretty much exactly a week (though I generally split my time between Switch & PS4, so it's not like I was spending all my gaming time in a day on it). For what it's worth, that's pretty much exactly how long it took me to run through the main adventure in NSMBUD (not counting post game or Luigi U of course).

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Haruki_NLI

Hey look at that, Octopath Traveler isnt Switch exclusive.

Like I've been saying for ages ever since it was revealed port beggars were out in Japan.

Only PC though.

For now.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

Geez Square-Enix! How am I supposed to enjoy my Switch games when I'm aware that people on other systems get to enjoy them too?

RR529

The GameXplain review of LABO VR is out. To be fair, they are a pretty Nintendo centric channel, but they seemed to really like it.

It's about 20 minutes long, but if you're curious it's worth checking out.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah It's more poking fun that people said it would never come to other platforms. It's Square Enix. No such thing as exclusive. Plus it's UE4. It can be ported to everything with a processor in it.

They'll do it sooner or later.

And I havent even started it yet, confined to yon backlog. Plus I like that other people get to enjoy it. There was no reason it should have remained exclusive, not like the platform holder funded it.

I dont get people who get arsey when a third party title is no longer exclusive. But it happens.

@RR529 I'm tempted to try LABO VR...if I didnt need to renovate the master bedroom into my new mancave...money money money. Plus I'm unsure, after PSVR gave me nosebleeds, if I can use LABO VR.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@Knuckles-Fajita Because the more third party titles remain exclusive to a platform, the more people will have to buy that platform to experience those games. Also, if a person buys a platform for a game and then that game goes multi-plat, some feel like they've wasted their money.

A fixation on exclusivity is primarily the domain of fanboys who are invested in the idea of their platform ruling supreme. For an illustration of this type of person, check the comments section under an article anytime the PS4 loses a notable exclusive (as it did recently when Epic acquired distribution rights for the PC versions of Quantic Dream's games).

I haven't even bought Octopath yet. Too many other games to play. I don't have the time in my life for yet another 100 hour JRPG on top of all the other ones I currently own and others that are releasing soon.

Edited on by Ralizah

Rudy_Manchego

@Ralizah Agree completely on exclusivity. People do seem to get really hurt by it when this is the business world. If you base your purchasing choices of hardware based on just one or two titles then you are probably to blame. Especially SE who re-release their content nearly annually on every platform. I had a friend, who has an XBOX ask me if I was upset that Hellblade was coming to XB1 as I liked it so much. THe answer was nope, now you can get it and I can ask you what you thought about it. Also, I want Ninja Theory to success, it was a good game.

Anyways, on unrelated matter, I am playing through Hyrule Warriors as downtime from Sekiro and I am quite enjoying it. I see the repetition and grind but I like the world and the format so having some fun with the battles and story mode. Glad I got it.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic