Forums

Topic: Nintendo Switch --OT--

Posts 3,081 to 3,100 of 7,477

Octane

@Kidfried I've seen some people argue that none of the current VR setups is ''true'' VR. Why wouldn't this be VR? It's in essence the same as PSVR and the other VR headsets, just a bit cheaper.

I wish Sony did more with motion control though, or any other company really. It's 2019, we've had gyro in our controllers for over a decade, but many shooters and action games still lack gyro aiming today.

Octane

JohnnyShoulder

@Octane I've never got along with gyro controls, I always ending up turning them off if I have a choice. And they are awful in games like Detroit Become Human.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Octane

@JohnnyShoulder Detroit Become Human is a very different game; and it uses motion controls differently. Think gyro aiming in Breath of the Wild, or Splatoon. I mean, there's a reason why all the top players use it; it's the closest thing you get to mouse controls on a console (and it's maybe even better imo).

Octane

johncalmc

First thing I do when I start playing a game with motion controls is turn off the motion controls. I've had Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu (no apologies for not getting Eevee) since Christmas and I've been putting it off in the hopes they'll patch in some sort of non-motion control control scheme. Doubtful, but one can dream.

I do wish Nintendo would stop pretending it's 2007 and keep shoe-horning motion controls into stuff like the glory (awful) days of the Wii. It's okay if it's 1-2-Switch or something mad like that that's built around them. But we don't need to be waving our hands around to collect extra stars - it's just an annoyance. We've already had dreadful aiming in Zelda, locking useful mechanics to arbitrary shaking in Mario Odyssey, and Star Fox was well and truly destroyed. Let's just let it go.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Rudy_Manchego

@Octane I suppose it depends on what you define as VR. This will be more VR than a normal TV, in the same way that PSVR is more VR than this Labo thing and arguably, the Vive is closer to VR than a PSVR.

I just feel that if Nintendo copied Astrobot Rescue and did a proper VR device in some capacity it would be great and this is just looking up at cardboard duck's bottom in a peripheral that has demonstrably been shown to not be wanted.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Octane

@johncalmc Pokemon LGPE isn't a great game to begin with

I agree that the motion controls in Mario Odyssey were badly implemented. You can only collect some Moons by shaking the controller, and that's just terribly awkward when you're playing in handheld mode. I've tried, but Mario Odyssey isn't made for that. Star Fox Zero was awful too. But I think that when done right; i.e. optional, and only used for aiming, it can be a game changer.

@Rudy_Manchego In terms of resolution, yes. But it's still a screen strapped to your face, and it registers your head movement. In that way they're all the same I think.

Yeah lol. I don't think it's worth the asking price to be honest. I know there's a €40 set, but that's the bare minimum. And it's not going to be more than a few dumb mini-games. I can live without Labo.

Octane

Ralizah

Gyro aiming is amazing, and it's the reason I really don't play shooters on PS4 anymore (or games with a heavy focus on aiming, if it can be helped). Pure dual-stick aiming doesn't do it for me these days. Thankfully, Steam allows for motion aiming when playing games with a PS4 controller.

Motion gestures suck, though. They're usually imprecise enough to be annoying and gimp any control method that doesn't allow for waving your arms around. They're the biggest flaw in the otherwise stellar SMO, for example.

In the case of the Wii, I didn't and still don't like pointer controls.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

Ralizah

Switch is getting three new collections from Konami.

Anniversary Collection: Arcade Classics, featuring Haunted Castle, A-JAX, Gradius, Gradius II, Life Force, THUNDER CROSS, Scramble, and TwinBee. Releasing for $19.99 in April.

Castlevania Anniversary Collection, featuring Castlevania, Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (a Game Boy title), Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, Super Castlevania IV, and four other games that they'll announce later on. Releasing some time in the early Summer.

Contra Anniversary Collection, featuring Contra, Super Contra, Super C, Contra III: The Alien Wars, and four other titles that they'll announce later on. Releasing some time in the early Summer.

belmont

@Ralizah They are not exclusive though. I will get them first on PS4 and maybe sometimw in Switch in discount.

This is the first time some of those games leave the Nintendo platforms. It is also obvious that we won't see any Castlevania on NES for Nintendo subscribers.

belmont

Fight_Teza_Fight

Yesss!
Now I just need Ori to come over !

Edited on by Fight_Teza_Fight

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Fight_Teza_Fight

@Kidfried Sure hope so! With Heavy Rain, Beyond & Detroit going to PC I guess anything is possible .

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

Ralizah

Cuphead, FF7, and the Crash Bandicoot trilogy on Nintendo Switch.
The Master Chief Collection on PC.
Nintendo is apparently letting indies use their I.P.
Dogs and cats living together.
Mass hysteria!

For real, though. What a weird crossover!

Didn't expect a Blaster Master Zero 2. Very cool.

belmont

I have a UK/EU gift code for Nintendo Switch Online 7-day trial valid until 25/03/19. Please replay if you redeem it

C0214YG0P0MYS74J

Edited on by belmont

belmont

RR529

I've been powering through Luigi U the past few days (completed worlds 6 & 7 just today), so hopefully I'll be able to mop it up before the weekend's over.

I haven't really felt satisfied with how I've left most of the Switch games I've played this year, so hopefully completing this will alleviate that feeling a bit.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

mookysam

Yoshi's Woolly World is my favourite Wii U game, so I decided to treat myself to Yoshi's Crafted World, which I'm playing in "Classic Mode". Only two levels in so it's hard to give a firm opinion, but it's exactly the type of game I need at the moment. It's cheerful, colourful and cute! Things are pretty easy so far - which I like - and the game definitely has a slower, more deliberate pace than Woolly World.

As with other Yoshi games, there is a big focus on collectibles (smiley daisies and red coins), and seeking them all allows the player to get the most out of the levels. The game probably will ramp up in both challenge and level complexity later on, so I'll see how it goes. I'm actually finding it a touch more polished than the demo, so perhaps that was from an earlier build?

The delightful presentation is a real highlight for me thus far. I love how everything in the environment is made from paper in a similar fashion to Tearaway.
The second level is underwater themed, but being crafted from paper doesn't actually take place under water. This means that there aren't any swimming or strange controls and physics to contend with. I love little details like schools of fish hanging from strings. There are giant crabs in the background and foreground to shoot
Will post more impressions the deeper I get!

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

@mookysam I passed on it because of the lack of almost any actual platforming in the demo and pre-release gameplay footage. It seems more like a scavenger hunt than a proper Yoshi's Island-esque platform game like Yoshi's Wooly World (which I actually just started playing again via the updated 3DS port; it's as lovely as ever!) Be sure to let me know if my impressions were wrong, though, as I'd hate to miss a good Yoshi platformer.

RR529

I too just started Yoshi's Crafted World recently. It's not much of a challenge to just play through the levels, but nabbing all the collectables will take some time if you're into that. Level design is very charming & varied though, so it's really enjoyable to poke around in. After the first boss the world map branches out and you're free to choose go after the next 3 Gems in whatever order you want, though some paths have slightly higher Smiley Flower requirements to access, so that's probably a subtle indication of where you're "supposed" to go next in terms of difficulty.

Usually you'll have 2 or so "normal" levels that are more slower paced & all about finding all the secrets at your own pace, then a "gimmick" level that shakes things up a bit and is usually a faster paced scrolling level (one sees you riding in a Yoshi robot destroying obstacles in your path, while the other three I've played have been more platforming centric, one seeing you being chased by a big dinosaur skeleton, another grading you on how many Monty Moles you've defeated along the way, and one where you're on a train, like the one in the demo, where as Yoshi you have to avoid obstacles and nab collectables as it chugs along. Though that last one also has a bit of a break in the action for a "scavenger hunt" like section where you have to search for missing pieces of the track before you can move on).

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Nintendo just announced that Super Mario Odyssey & Breath of the Wild will be getting free VR updates (to be compatible with LABO VR)!

Odyssey's support seems to be limited to a few new challenges in the Cap, Seaside, & Luncheon Kingdoms, while BotW looks to be getting full support.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Octane

Breath of the Wild is 720p with sub-30fps in handheld mode. How is that going to work in VR?

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic